(Topic ID: 304417)

Bought a NIB pinball... what are some good ‘cheap’ pinballs for #2

By GoldenBeard

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Looking for old and new. Would like to stay under $5k. VERY TEMPTED TO BUY A MUSIC PINBALL

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Looking for old and new. Would like to stay under $5k. VERY TEMPTED TO BUY A MUSIC PINBALL

EMs are awesome and still findable for under 1k

#3 2 years ago

How about two System 11s for under $5K?! For example you could get a SS and RG both in pretty nice shape for that price. Can’t go wrong with that era of game IMO.

Good luck and you they multiply quickly right?!

#4 2 years ago

I know google can help me... but:

-what is an EM
    -what is an SS
    -what is an RG

Haha sorry for being such a novice

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

-what is an EM
    -what is an SS
    -what is an RG

Electromechanical
    Roller Games?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

-what is an EM
    -what is an SS
    -what is an RG

EMs are electromechanical games. The ones with the manually turning score reels and bells and chimes instead of digital sound. Amazing games if you get lots of time on them.

#7 2 years ago

Also, if it’s an 80s game from Gottlieb, buy it.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Careful. That's like a 50/50 on greatness/awfulness.

#9 2 years ago

What game did you buy? That can help keep us from recommending something that is too similar.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from horseflesh:

What game did you buy? That can help keep us from recommending something that is too similar.

His collection shows Munsters. He should be safe from getting anything similar.

#11 2 years ago

Munsters baby!!! Hopefully I didn’t get scammed.... lol

#12 2 years ago

This is like the second time in 30 minutes I forgot to check someone's Pinside collection before making a stupid post!

Now I recognize the username... @goldenbeard, my advice is the same as in your other thread... instead of picking out a game, see what is available near you, and we can help you decide if any of the options are good. There are a lot of good games in the world, and if you focus on one, you might miss something awesome right next door.

#13 2 years ago

I’m open to whatever. And honestly would love to pick up (I’ll regret this later) a group of cheap pinball projects along with a second working machine

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from frisbez:

No it ain’t neither.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

And honestly would love to pick up (I’ll regret this later) a group of cheap pinball projects along with a second working machine

Depends on what your definition of "Cheap" is.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Well under 5k and somewhat music themed? You could get a Data East Tommy.

Or you can spend a little more and get a Stern Pro edition of Metallica.

Or you can be under 5k and have a combination of 2 classic solid state games like Dolly Parton, Rolling Stones, or KISS.

I'd recommend playing on location and try out different games. I know theres a few places around that area.

#17 2 years ago

Aerosmith? Star wars?

#18 2 years ago

addams family

#19 2 years ago

You could use the Top 100 section of Pinside. There is a "Bang for the buck" section.

Perhaps get some ideas there?

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

addams family

Lol! 5k and a time machine

Quoted from frisbez:

Nonsense, Gottlieb made great games. Only Rock and Ready... Aim... Fire! are truly garbage. The rest all have redeeming qualities. Raven and Hollywood Heat push it, but they’re a blast for novice players!

Quoted from GoldenBeard:

-what is an EM
    -what is an SS
    -what is an RG

Some games have common abbreviations that you will quickly pick up. AF for Addams Family, GOTG Guardians of the Galaxy, TotAN for Tales of the Arabian Nights, SS for Scared Stiff. You usually can click on them or type them into the search box and it will tell you what game it is.
    EM refers to Electro-Mechanical games. Bells & chimes basically. Late 70s and earlier are almost exclusively EMs.

SS also refers to Solid State which is the the 80s and also can refer to all modern machines that use circuit boards.

#21 2 years ago

As an example...I have a Gottlieb Big Hurt (Baseball theme) for sale in the marketplace - 2850/obo.

It's a 1990s DMD game for under $3k with a packed playfield, 3 flippers and lots of shots.

Other than that...I used to have Jokerz and liked that game a lot too (Poker theme with upper playfield). Probably in the $2k price range.

Good luck to you!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lol

rd

#23 2 years ago

Sys 80A and 80B are better than system 11. Change my mine.

#24 2 years ago

Thanks guys! Tempted to do a Led Zeppelin.

But once again if I can get some project machines and something else that currently plays....

I saw a T2 for $4500

And whoever said bang for a buck going to check that out now. Thank you!

#25 2 years ago

If you are TEMPTED in ALL CAPS by a music pin, then that’s your answer!

I’d recommend any of these Stern Pros regardless of whether you had specified a music pin, as they are some of their best games:
    ACDC
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden

In saner times it would be a cakewalk to get any of these for <$5k, but now you might need to stretch a little; still worth the effort IMO, as these games are simply killer.

I’d give a slight nod to Met because there are enough aftermarket mods to upgrade the Pro to some of the Premium features; otherwise you can’t go wrong with any, play and decide for yourself. (Disclaimer: I have had a Met prem since ‘16 and it’s still “bolted to the floor”, just a ridiculously addictive combo of shots and software that’s hard to step away from - I’m sure they earn well on location!)

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sys 80A and 80B are better than system 11. Change my mine.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"080f96efc9870e9232f66b1abda86c3a504fc4a0-1637388646-1800"};
    //]]>

Holy shit.

Ludicrous comment of the year.

Yes - there are some good 80s Gottliebs. I’ve got a couple of them.

There are a lot more good SYS11.

I’ll leave you to it - I’m not even going to waste my time debating it further.

rd

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Guy asks “what are some good cheap pins”. “would like to stay under $5k”

Then he says Led Zeppelin. (!)

Someone else says ADDAMS FAMILY. (!!)

Then someone else says AC/DC, iron maiden or Metallica. (!!!!!)

Honestly - this place sometimes …

rd

#28 2 years ago

I think I have seen some 90s Data East/Sega games for less than 5k recently. Definitely secondary in quality to Bally Williams games but I’ve played plenty on location over the years and think there’s some fun ones in the bunch.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

But once again if I can get some project machines and something else that currently plays....
    I saw a T2 for $4500
    And whoever said bang for a buck going to check that out now. Thank you!

I know your new but do not over pay for pinball machines. 4500 for t2 overpriced. Find a pinball machine outside of pinside/ the internet and you will get a better deal. Pinside is one of the highest priced sites for buying pinball machines.

#30 2 years ago

Williams Beat Time.

Cheap...check.
    Music theme...check.

You're welcome.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Guy asks “what are some good cheap pins”. “would like to stay under $5k”
    Then he says Led Zeppelin. (!)
    Someone else says ADDAMS FAMILY. (!!)
    Then someone else says AC/DC, iron maiden or Metallica. (!!!!!)
    Honestly - this place sometimes …
    rd

I know it’s across a few comments but to clarify, if I’m going to pony up and spend over $5k I might just get a music themed machine. Otherwise might try to get a few project machines and something cheap that works.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

I know it’s across a few comments but to clarify, if I’m going to pony up and spend over $5k I might just get a music themed machine. Otherwise might try to get a few project machines and something cheap that works.

If going for music pin get AC/DC. Fantastic second game.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Good luck....however “cheap that works” and “pinball”are difficult to find these days. Lol

#34 2 years ago

Yes, I was about to say “there are no cheap pins anymore.”

Honestly, if you want a new and less expensive pin, look at the home version of Jurassic Park.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-there-s-a-new-stern-home-pin-jurassic-to-hate

For used pins (even “older” ones) be sure to check the market archive for historic prices because their has been a lot of opportunistic pinflation lately.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenBeard:

You know that projects tend to be difficult and require learning a butt-ton of new skills very quickly, right?

Just letting you know, it’s not like you’ll get a project for cheap that you can turn a screwdriver and have it flipping.
    It will probably need boards replaced, brand new mechs, lots of reversing wiring hacks and such!

When I first started I picked up lots of projects. There’s still two of them that went through some of the most gifted techs in pinball, and foolish newbie me picked up that still don’t work properly after 5 years.
    I keep those games and continually go back with new stuff I’ve learned to progress further and further!

#36 2 years ago

You could save for a couple of months. Stern is likely releasing a Rush pin in December or January if that's your thing.

#37 2 years ago

Demolition Man or Judge Dredd.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You know that projects tend to be difficult and require learning a butt-ton of new skills very quickly, right?
    Just letting you know, it’s not like you’ll get a project for cheap that you can turn a screwdriver and have it flipping.
    It will probably need boards replaced, brand new mechs, lots of reversing wiring hacks and such!
    When I first started I picked up lots of projects. There’s still two of them that went through some of the most gifted techs in pinball, and foolish newbie me picked up that still don’t work properly after 5 years.
    I keep those games and continually go back with new stuff I’ve learned to progress further and further!

Oh trust me. I get it. That’s why I bought a new one first (and yes I know even new ones might need some work done). I used to love messing around with this kind of stuff growing up. I’m sure I’ll have my fair share of beers while scratching my head. And then I’ll play my working pins!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-a-nib-pinball-what-are-some-good-cheap-pinballs-for-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.