By GoldenBeard

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Bought a NIB pinball...

First off sorry if I missed it. I searched the forums for all of 60 seconds and didn’t see anything.

What do I need to know. Do I need to wax and clear coat the surface right away? Cover my machine? Deal with issues on initial adjustment?

Anything helps, thanks in advance!

#2 2 years ago

Helps to know which game as it could be all-the-above or worse.

#3 2 years ago

Try the the topic search function again for a bit longer than 60 seconds.
Wealth of info on pinball maintenance and topics on your particular game. Congrats and good luck!

#4 2 years ago

First thing you should do is check all the hardware above and below the playfield to see if anything is loose, the quality control from some of the manufacturers has gone down hill.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Helps to know which game as it could be all-the-above or worse.

Looks like Munsters.

Quoted from GoldenBeard:

clear coat the surface right away?

Don't under any circumstances consider this on Munsters.

Study more. Learn more. Ask questions here. And learn to search. There must be a lot of threads on what to do or don't do to your new pinball machine.

LTG : )

#6 2 years ago

If you have a Stern, turn your trough kick out power down to 180 or lower, this will prevent clearcoat chipping/excessive wear in that area. Should be under game adjustments menu.

#7 2 years ago

Clear coat???

Dude play your game, use PinGuy app to make sure you’re at ~6.5 degrees and level

#8 2 years ago

Just do a general inspection; make sure nothing has vibrated loose and ensure all connectors are fully seated, look for any wiring that might be subject to getting caught in a mech., rubbing against something, or being pinched, clean both sides of the glass, level the machine (place level on center of playfield, not glass or cabinet), use >= 91% IPA or denatured ethanol to clean the oil off pinballs, ensure all zip-ties and other shipping fasteners/materials are removed from playfield objects, and put everything together as per the setup instructions.

Quoted from manadams:

If you have a Stern, turn your trough kick out power down to 180 or lower, this will prevent clearcoat chipping/excessive wear in that area. Should be under game adjustments menu.

As for initial adjustments, I’d leave the game and feature adjustments alone initially; the one thing I would definitely do is to reduce the eject power down to 180 or less (175 works for me) and turn the slingshot power down to about 18 (a reasonable starting point to minimize airballs shooting into the outlanes - you can tweak up or down from here to maximize action/minimize airballs once you play). After playing a few games you will get a good idea about adjusting the power of other mechs, especially VUKs. I also like to dial back the GI and insert intensity a little for enhanced contrast and “mood”, depending on the game.

As for waxing, it’s a controversial subject. Personally I don’t usually bother, as I set my games up to play fairly fast anyway, and given that I am meticulous about replacing balls, deteriorating rubber, and keeping playfields clean, I don’t feel the tedium of the additional step of properly doing a wax job is worth the effort in my situation where games only get played a handful of times per week on average. For a new pin, you might just give the playfield a quick blast or two of canned air to knock off any residual factory/shipping dust and displace any lingering scraps of packing material/random flotsam that might be hanging out.

That’s about it; now play the hell out of it and tweak the settings as you go to match your preferences.

#9 2 years ago

After buying your first pin the next step is to start researching which pin will be your 2nd.

#10 2 years ago

Ok I’ll tell him, clean your balls. Before hitting start.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Bought a NIB pinball...
First off sorry if I missed it. I searched the forums for all of 60 seconds and didn’t see anything.
What do I need to know. Do I need to wax and clear coat the surface right away? Cover my machine? Deal with issues on initial adjustment?
Anything helps, thanks in advance!

Sell it for a profit. You will fit right in with 40% of pinside.

Kidding aside. Congratulations!

#12 2 years ago

Call me a weirdo, but maybe press the start button and begin flipping?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambo:

Call me a weirdo, but maybe press the start button and begin flipping?

No. Don't launch any balls, that will wear the shooter lane!

#14 2 years ago

Step by step:
1) Open box
2) install legs
3) PLAY IT

#15 2 years ago

Congratulations!

Have fun!

Play it for a week then come back with questions.

Welcome to the addiction.

#16 2 years ago

Also... if you have kids and they are little, keep the box a few weeks. I cut out a door and a window on mY NIB box and the kids played with it for months....

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

After buying your first pin the next step is to start researching which pin will be your 2nd.

I’ve already started this process haha

#18 2 years ago

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Munsters-Rule-Sheet.pdf

http://tiltforums.com/t/the-munsters-rulesheet/4781/1

https://pinballvideos.com/v/2470

Do NOT google "munsters pinball mods". Back AWAY. You been WARNED!
...I guess it's cold rhinoceros sandwiches again tonight...

#19 2 years ago

welcome neighbor!! glad north canton has another pinhead! enjoy the sickness!!

#20 2 years ago

If you are someone who would worry about playfield/shooter lane wear, install Cliffys. If not, immediately hit the start button. That said, many people suggest replacing the factory balls with better ones first.

#21 2 years ago

Go to Rec.games.pinball and skip the pinside insanity.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Go to Rec.games.pinball and skip the pinside insanity.

Yes, with its 1 post per month, a lively bunch over there!

#23 2 years ago

Coil stops, not sure if Stern upped the quality, but you may need yo change them. History of breaking in recent games.

#24 2 years ago

Set it up and play it. If something falls off or does not work right, fix it.

#25 2 years ago

I have yet to have a coil stop to fail. Probably another issue blown out of proportion.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I have yet to have a coil stop to fail. Probably another issue blown out of proportion.

Yes, blown out of proportion. I just had the left flipper coil stop fail on my JPLE after 813 games and a couple years. You know when they fail when the flipper feels kindly squishy and less snappy. The nub was loose and wobbly when removed. Coil stops are a couple bucks each, just pick up a couple on your next parts order.

#27 2 years ago

Anyone have any general settings for pinballs? The balls seem to be flying around like crazy. Turned down a few things on power but it seems like it didn’t change to much.

It’s a Munsters pinball. Thank you in advance

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBeard:

Anyone have any general settings for pinballs? The balls seem to be flying around like crazy. Turned down a few things on power but it seems like it didn’t change to much.
It’s a Munsters pinball. Thank you in advance

Newer games tend to be super bouncy. As the rubber wears and it gets dirtier it will slow things down.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Newer games tend to be super bouncy. As the rubber wears and it gets dirtier it will slow things down.

I took someone else’s advice and turned down a few settings but the ball is flying up into the glass, over toys and sometimes (actually cool) landing in the ramps

Haha just freak me out

#30 2 years ago

Unpack overpriced pinball machine and set aside. Clean up box and put a bow on it. Best X-mas present you will ever give your kids.

#31 2 years ago

Destroyed the box. As my wife puts it, “he’s really good at unpacking stuff (rolls eyes)”

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Findlay, OH
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bought-a-nib-pinball-now-what?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.