5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Beez
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

They're not stocks. They're games

So what!! Does that mean you're suppose to flush common sense and money down the toilet? These games aren't toilet paper either and just because it's a hobby, doesn't mean you're a bad person if you'd like them to hold most of their value.

#102 5 years ago

Bought POTC before playing it - couldn't get rid of it fast enough

Bought X-Men before playing and still love it, wish I never sold it

Bought Baywatch before playing it - meh

#103 5 years ago

Comet. Bought it as a restoration project. Only played the VP one prior to picking it up. Still working on getting rid of the "7" on the MPU board. Everything else is ready to go at this point though. Stoked to play it, it is a blast on the computer, can't wait for the real thing.

#104 5 years ago

Popeye

I bought it, so that I could play it, and find out what all the hate was about.

There were none in my friends' collections, on location, or at shows.

Sold it within a year.

The artwork, and sound system are very good.

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

So what!! Does that mean you're suppose to flush common sense and money down the toilet? These games aren't toilet paper either and just because it's a hobby, doesn't mean you're a bad person if you'd like them to hold most of their value.

I agree! Levi was just making it sound as if that was the first consideration in buying a pin, and that's why he doesn't buy NIB, because of the drop in value. I personally think that's silly. I have 1700 plays on my WOZ...the drop in value matches up pretty well with what I would have spent in an arcade to play it. And I'm nowhere near done with that machine.

#106 5 years ago

Avatar...preordered it once I saw some video....turned out ok because I have it still

Tron LE...preordered it before seeing pictures or video....turned out ok because I still have it and only paid 5k for it

Flintstones....only pin (other than NIB) that I had shipped. Had played the PinMame version of it but not the real deal....kept it for 6 years before selling

Jackbot.....only played Pinbot before getting JB.....turned out ok as I still have it and its still my favorite game

Simpsons Pin Party.....bought a week old HUO that someone didn't want....never tried it.....turned out ok as I had it for 6+ years before trading it

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Levi was just making it sound as if that was the first consideration in buying a pin

Beezle, I agree with you on that point.I thought you were part of the crowd that thinks it's absurd to want your games to hold some value. BTW, I also don't look at them as stocks.

#108 5 years ago

only buy a game i've never played if it's dirt cheap. That way your not stuck if it sucks. Have to know your market and know you can unload it quickly if you need to. Other than that, I would never buy a game I havn't played.

Post edited by CaptainNeo: because i felt like it.

#109 5 years ago

Laser War, Shaq Attaq, Atlantis, Spy Hunter and Monte Carlo. All were bought because of price.

#110 5 years ago

I took a JM in trade deal. Never even SEEN the game before, let alone touched it. Playfield looked pretty clean. I knew it had a few issues, but the value was right. Totally pleasantly surprised by the game. It's a ton of fun to play.

#111 5 years ago

Bought BSD without ever played it before. I still feel it plays me and I am just a passenger, but that is another story. Love the game!

On a side note. I have bought all my games without seeing the actual game in person before it showed up at my house, and I have been lucky with great games in good condition.

Axl

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Bought BSD without ever played it before. I still feel it plays me and I am just a passenger, but that is another story. Love the game!
On a side note. I have bought all my games without seeing the actual game in person before it showed up at my house, and I have been lucky with great games in good condition.
Axl

Brings up a decent point. The only ACTUAL examples of games where I was able to play that actual machine before I paid for them was:

World Poker Tour

Kind of unbelievable since I have owned over 70 pins.

Part of that is because I have traded from a lot of titles where no money has changed hands. So the "bought" term in the title of the thread would not hold true.
Also, if there is a pinball that can't be brought back to life/played, I probably would not buy it (cept for parts).

#113 5 years ago

I've bought a decent amount of games before I played them. Actually, 19 out of the 33 games I've owned I bought before playing the first time.

#114 5 years ago

These are the games I bought before I played them.
Junkyard - Loved it, would love to own again
TFTC - Liked it, would own again, not in a rush to
JP - Got this one for free. Not interested in owning another one
Space Shuttle - Love it, can't see letting it go
Taxi - Technically I played 2 games before I loaded it, still own it
Stern Playboy - Played 2 games on one at an expo, only bought it because I got it for $25.
White Water - 5 games before I bought it, miss it like crazy
Funhouse - Never played it before or during when I owned it (project pin)

Games I played before I bought them
Addams Family - Extensive prior game play
Getaway - I played a couple of handful of times before I bought it

As you can see, there are not a lot of games where I live.

#115 5 years ago

Metallica is the only NIB I've bought without playing. It was a gamble, but I knew it had a lot going for it: best art ever, in-line drops, metal ramps, the FUEL shot, and Sparky.

#116 5 years ago

GNR - Worked out really well, love the game. Sorry to have it up for sale right now as I wish I had enough capital to keep it forever.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

I assume you are the guy Rod mentioned on the latest Pinheadz podcast that was questioning your Predator preorder, ultimately decided to stick with it then paid in full for Thunderbirds a few days later?
I hadn't played either Space Shuttle or High Speed before I bought them, but had watched videos and of course there's a fairly large consensus that both of those games are some of the best of their times.
Can't say I disagree

Nope that wasn't me but I know who he was referring too.

#118 5 years ago

I500 came across it looking for WW. The one I saw got sold but found another by Detroit. It was a great decision. It's my favorite it's fun, fast and excellent shape.

I did read comments and watched you tubes on it several times before I took the plunge. Even drove 600 mile rt to get it.

I also bought a RS but tried it and the buyers place then bought it.

#119 4 years ago

This list is A LOT bigger than I thought it would be for sure ... and looks to still be growing.

#120 4 years ago

Sad to say, I never played any of my games before I bought. The only regret game I have so far is AC/DC….I'm trying to like it!!!

#121 4 years ago

Star Trek Pro, never played it. Bought it brand new in box and love it still!!

#122 4 years ago

Since there are few machines in Ottawa, I tend to rely on videos on the internet so
Transformers, White Water, Golden Eye, Fish Tales, NGG were bought without playing.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Sad to say, I never played any of my games before I bought. The only regret game I have so far is AC/DC….I'm trying to like it!!!

Play better!!!

#124 4 years ago

I'm not THAT bad….I just don't feel it?

#125 4 years ago

Done it twice:

- one was Mata Hari at an estate sale. Took about 6 months of repair before it was at all playable. Still have it today.

- second was Xenon from a divorce. Got it up and running pretty quickly but never really got in to the game. Eventually got tired of it and sold it.

both were "can't say no" deals.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#126 4 years ago

My acca premium is a keeper for me. Hope you do get to like yours

#127 4 years ago

Bought Jokerz before I ever played it or saw it played because my wife and kid liked it. Great move. Gotta keep them hooked. It's a fun game.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

My acca premium is a keeper for me. Hope you do get to like yours

Agreed ... how could you not like this game? Get's me pumped every time.

#129 4 years ago

I500 - pleasantly surprised. price was worth taking the chance. have since sold.
Stars (Stern) - pieced together from 2 different games. like it a lot. still have.
Transformers - NIB, wanted to like it but just not my type of game. new code just didn't do it for me. sold.
Mystic - built from just a NOS wired playfield. was fun but just didn't have the staying power of other games.

I'll probably remember a few that i have missed over the years.

-c

#130 4 years ago

I'd say The Walking Dead will be added to this list soon ...

1 week later
#131 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Bought Stern Star Trek before playing, it's long long gone now.

Wow ..... long long gone. Light speed

1 week later
#132 4 years ago

Can (hopefully) add one more to my list. If things go according to plan WPT will be coming home soon......never played one. So that's 3 out of 14; 21.4%.

#133 4 years ago

Bought many withour ever playing.

TZ
FT
BoP
FS
ST:TNG
SC
RFM
ToM

Purchased (hunted down with a vengence) after playing...

TAF
CFTBL
CV
BH

#134 4 years ago

If the title of this discussion was "I let my husband buy __ before I played it" then my answer would be:

Congo
FT

So far so good...

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I have a confusing relationship with AC/DC. Don't own it but play it every chance I get. Can't figure out how much of the wanting to play it is just based on my really liking the music.

#136 4 years ago

I normally get to play a game at a show or on location before buying, but the exceptions were:

The Shadow: Bought this blind without ever playing one before, and I hated it. Kept it only for a couple of weeks before selling it on.

Tron LE: Had played the Pro before, but not the LE. Had this game for over a year and really enjoyed it!

Stern Star Trek LE: Again had played the Pro, but never an LE before buying one off a fellow collector. Still have the game, but still not sure yet if it's gonna be a keeper.

At least if you do buy something that doesn't turn out to be what you expected, it's easy enough to move it on without losing too much over it (unless of course it was NIB).

#137 4 years ago

TWD pro.......when the wife tells you to buy a game you don't look back !!

#138 4 years ago

High Speed. Like Steve R. games. Good price. Knew the guy selling - had him drop off next time he was in town. Don't regret, but not something I'm in the habit of doing (did also do it on a Track & Field arcade game which my guests play more than I ever will).

#139 4 years ago

sharpshooter because I thought it looked cool, but it didn't work so I couldn't of played it. Still have it and play it every so often

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

TWD pro.......when the wife tells you to buy a game you don't look back !!

COMPLETELY AGREE !!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.50
4,550 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Golden, CO
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 26.50
$ 14.95
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Village, OH
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside