Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 170 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Thumbs_down.gif
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100_0014.JPG
    There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 11 years ago

Anyone who hangs out at Pinside learns pretty quickly that no single pin is universally appreciated. Start a thread about any top-100 machine, and someone will eventually say that it the best pin ever, while someone else will opine with equal confidence that it is ridiculously overrated.

l wonder if this same division exists on the opposite end of the spectrum. Are there any non-top-100 pins that you think would be disliked by every (or nearly every, to be realistic) pinball fan? Let's set set aside the top 100, because even the least of those has about a 7.5 rating, and I am not trying to start another debate about those ratings.

There is a practical point to this exercise. I am always trying to find and play the best pinball machines, but I would also like to play a few epic failures just to see for myself what makes them so bad.

So, which are the real stinkers?

#2 11 years ago

Hardbody, South Park, Popeye, TRS, Raven

#3 11 years ago

I love south park

#4 11 years ago

I think the most hated machines will get you an 80-90% agreement on the overall dislike for them. I think IJ4 will get you 80%+.

#5 11 years ago

Wheel of Fortune

#6 11 years ago

Wheel of fortune and monopoly for me. These do not translate well for pinball. Add one just cause, cftbl, hate it

#7 11 years ago

Austin Powers

#8 11 years ago

X-Files is awful

#9 11 years ago

I like popeye but I dont think Id ever own it. South park and austin powers arent bad in my opinion. I think every pin has at least something worthwhile. I enjoy LW3 and I think that is in the bottom 100

#10 11 years ago

Twister is pretty poor.

#11 11 years ago

I've only ever seen about half of these. Keep 'em coming. I'm making a list!

#12 11 years ago

Freddy is not so hot.

#14 11 years ago

For me:

Super mario bros
    Caveman
    South park

#15 11 years ago

Maverick

#16 11 years ago

First to really reply I would need to know if you are talking pinball in general or just newer ramp machines I think most people have machines they like other people hate. Or machines they hate other people love. Since it was not specified in your original listing what era you are asking about I'll cover everything with my reply.

If we go back to the beginning of pinball - other than their historical value I think most pre flipper machines are a waste of time.

Then when you get to regular EM machines, wedge heads & wood rails I think most people would agree most Chicago Coin machines don't get much love.

Once you get into early SS machines I think most of the wide body and super wide body machines were a failure. From my experience they just seem to play much to slow.

As far as newer SS and DMD machines it seems most of the sport themed stuff gets very little love as well as Raven, Hardbody, Wheel of Fortune, Monopoly, and several of the newer Stern titles.

#17 11 years ago

I forgot about Caveman Great machine to love to hate!

#18 11 years ago

I know I will get alot of backlash but I feel the Shadow is a chore to play. Also not a big fan of TMNT, and DE DM. Mr and Mrs. Pacman is a real stinker also, but on the lighterside...me playing the worst pinball machine is better than a great day at work

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I would need to know if you are talking pinball in general

Good question. I was thinking of machines that I might reasonably be able to find. That tends to limit it to 1970s and later machines. It's rare that I ever get the chance to play anything older.

#20 11 years ago

Is Stern's Metallica out yet?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

l wonder if this same division exists on the opposite end of the spectrum. Are there any non-top-100 pins that you think would be disliked by every (or nearly every, to be realistic) pinball fan?

Reading this thread so far it is obvious that the same can be said for the bottom 100 as the top 100 hundred (OP), everybody has an opinion and everyone is different

#22 11 years ago

Star Wars Episode 1

100_0014.JPG100_0014.JPG

#23 11 years ago

wipeout, one of the few i was glad to see leave

back to the future, great theme gameplay sucked

#24 11 years ago

Yeesh, I like Popeye, BTTF, and Wipeout. I must just be a weirdo.

#25 11 years ago

+1 XFiles, Popeye, TRS, Sopranos, FT (but cool topper), and this one will get me a thumbs down but being honest FG/Shrek.

#26 11 years ago

x files and motordome could not wait for them to leave

#27 11 years ago

Maverick
    Fource II

#28 11 years ago

This is all up to everyone's individual taste. There are a lot of the games that have already been listed that I really like. I'd put FT, IJ (Williams), TOTAN, TOM, SC, TZ and GNR on the list of worst games above a lot of the other stuff named, most of which I own and wouldn't trade for any of those.

I have weird tastes.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

FT (but cool topper)

Heck ya thumbs down, FT is an awesome game. I regret getting rid of mine, probably one of the games I miss the most that I have sold. Also FG is a cool game, guess maybe the theme isn't for everyone.

Avatar gets dogged pretty bad but I don't think it is worse than 115 other games that is for sure.

#30 11 years ago

I can't think of 100 bad pinball games. Pinball is good. Lots of different kinds of good, but good none-the-less...

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Joshmx19:

I enjoy LW3 and I think that is in the bottom 100

LW3 is a fantastic game in my opinion. I had every intention of fixing it up and trading it when I bought it, but it won't be going anywhere for a while. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Hollywood Heat is the worst (SS) game I've ever played.

#32 11 years ago

When the game is working properly, it's actually a decent game.

#33 11 years ago

Haha, I played Barb Wire and enjoyed it. It's not one I would buy for home, but worth dropping a few bucks into.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

When the game is working properly, it's actually a decent game.

agreed. How is this a bad game? It has distinct shots. The only complaint is the slow wheel - but that's really splitting hairs.

#35 11 years ago

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash. Great theme that has gone terribly wrong.

#36 11 years ago

Fish tales
    SF2
    Xfiles
    Rolling stones

are horrible bottom of barrel pins for me.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash. Great theme that has gone terribly wrong.

I have to agree. I got to play it fairly recently. A classic missed opportunity. I've also played XFiles, mentioned more than once above. Just okay; certainly not something I'd buy. 'Never had the chance to play most of these, but I'll be on the lookout.

#38 11 years ago

Vacation America....I dare anyone to like that pin

The home version games were genuinely awful (Elvis Alive is another one)

#39 11 years ago

Hurricane (my first pin) sure drummed up a lot of aggression on RGP over the years. I liked it, but man did it bring out the worst in some people.

#41 11 years ago

wipe out
    shaq attaq
    Maverick

#42 11 years ago

Are we hating the pin or just the theme? I love my Maverick

#43 11 years ago

The only game I remember walking up to for the first time, starting a game, and half way through already thinking 'What a heap of s***' is Rescue 911. Very odd and unbalanced playfield layout, sloooooow ball interacting toy and ugly looking.

Maybe Popeye also. Same issues. Odd layout, odd toys, ugly looking - and nasty outlanes.

I have yet to play many many titles from all era. For the 90's especially non-Williams games. I'm sure there is more unplayable.

#44 11 years ago

RT and DM are two of the worst games I have ever played, but I think any game can be fun if you get into a comp with someone. It forces you to find out the hart of the game.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from janus:

Are we hating the pin or just the theme? I love my Maverick

I just don't like having to wait for the paddle boat to release the ball, kills the game for me.

#46 11 years ago

Haha, I love how many people hate on Popeye for being too slow. They must have played an old one with worn out flippers/rubber. My Popeye plays very fast. One of the only pins in which every shot can be made both fore hand and back hand consistently (if you are good), that is the definition of a good layout to me. And of course I have fixed all know problems with the machine and it is absolutely a blast to play, but I also have made a lot of upgrades to make it more enjoyable. LEDs are a must for Popeye, or I agree it does not look great, but with LEDs throughout it looks great! Also with a subwoofer added you can feel many audio clips as if there was a shaker, very cool that the audio was that good. I also have added some small Popeye action figures around the playfield and a large topper of Popeye hooked directly up to the GI and 5 flashers matched to the flashers on the playfield are also in the topper. No matter what pins I play out in the wild whether it be Cactus Canyon, MM, AFM, or TZ I always look forward to coming home to play a few rounds on Popeye to call it a night, very enjoyable pin when setup correctly and maintained.

#47 11 years ago

hurricane
    southpark

#48 11 years ago

Here is a photo of my Popeye:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Hurricane (my first pin) sure drummed up a lot of aggression on RGP over the years. I liked it, but man did it bring out the worst in some people.

My first pin as well, also don't know why people hate on it so much, really not a bad pin.

#50 11 years ago

I played a Very nicely maintained Hurricane a few weeks ago at the Houston Area Pinball Expo and I loved it! Very enjoyable. But once again it was very nicely maintained and had LEDs throughout, looked and played great!

The first CFTBL and SimpsonsPP I played were poorly maintained and it was a terrible experience to play and I ended up hating the pins because of this, until I played a well maintained CFTBL and SimpsonsPP at the last Expo and wow did I enjoy those! Great games when well maintained! I think a lot of perceived value, playability, and enjoyment has to do with how well the games are cared for.

There are 170 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bottom-100-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.