Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I took my Fliptronics II board out to try it in my WH20 (where I ended up having a bad transistor) and when I put it back in TZ the flippers do not now work in play, but when I go to flipper test in the diagnostics they do.
When I go to switch test and press on the flipper buttons, they both do not register on the matrix.
If I close the flippers manually the EOS switches register.
I swapped in the (repaired) Fliptronics board from WH20 and no luck. I also swapped in an opto board and that made no difference either.
So it doesn't seem to be a flipper opto switch board or a Fliptronics board issue.
Any ideas where to go from here?

#2 7 years ago

Recheck all your plugs to be sure you are not a pin off on one of the boards. It could also have a broken solder joint that is hard to see.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks, rechecked them all and they are ok.

#4 7 years ago

I did have a problem like that with my left upper flipper once and it was a broken solder joint on the back of the board.

#5 7 years ago

It's not the board as I swapped the WH2O board in and same problem.

#6 7 years ago

Wait, you say that in switch test, the flipper buttons (not EOS, cabinet switches) don't register?

Then that's your problem.

Unless I misunderstood.

#7 7 years ago

Yes that is right, the cabinet switches don't register. Physically they are fine, and I also swapped a confirmed working opto board in.
So I am guessing it's the connection from the flipper opto boards to the head that's the problem (maybe when I pulled the Fliptronics board out something happpened) but I'm unsure how to test for a solution.

#8 7 years ago

Okay - the flipper buttons are connected to the Fliptronics board. (NOT the MPU or Solenoid board.) They do NOT go through the coin door interface board.

So, the wires between the board and the flipper opto boards is J905 (one in from the right on the bottom of the Fliptronics board) to the left flipper button, then to the right flipper button.

Likely, one of the wires (the Orange one, which is ground) is loose in the IDC connector, and not making a good circuit. (As all the others are specific to switches - and would only affect the specific switch. The orange ties to all of them, so when it goes, all switches go.)

#9 7 years ago

That was it thanks Coyote, I pushed the orange wire in on connector J905 and it came up on switch test - all good now. Thanks for narrowing it down for me.

#10 7 years ago

Good to hear! May want to replace the whole header eventually, in case it resurfaces in the future..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/both-tz-flippers-work-in-test-but-not-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.