(Topic ID: 303001)

Both right flippers flip on first switch (The Getaway)

By WaddleJrJr

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by EJS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2016 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 6.55.31 PM (resized).png
7CEBD89B-BFFA-4340-96E6-AF820F752B5E (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I was having issues with the right flipper button on my Getaway, sometimes the switch would register poorly and the flipper would flutter. I tried adjusting the switch but it was pretty beat so I just replaced it.

Now the new switch is in, the fluttering seems to be solved, however when the first of the two switches gets hit both the lower and the upper flipper fire. In the test the upper flipper switch still works correctly. I can press and release the upper flipper but the flipper stays energized the whole time so long as the lower flipper switch is still activated. What would cause that?

I made sure the wires were soldered to the same spots that they were in the previous, took a picture to use for reference which I’ll attach. I don’t recall if this was happening before I switched switches or if it only just started afterwords.

Thanks in advance for any help!

7CEBD89B-BFFA-4340-96E6-AF820F752B5E (resized).jpeg7CEBD89B-BFFA-4340-96E6-AF820F752B5E (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Are you sure the wiring is correct per the schematics? It’s possible the old switch was wired wrong after an old repair.

I’d also use a meter to check for a short in the switch leaves. The pads should be isolated when the switches are open.

#3 2 years ago

Okay so if this is the correct thing to be looking at I can see where each wire should be on the board, however I don't know how to tell if they're in the right place on the flipper switch.
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 6.55.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-10-28 at 6.55.31 PM (resized).png

I checked the plug on the board and verified, all of these wires are indeed connected to the right pins.
IMG_2016 (resized).jpgIMG_2016 (resized).jpg

But then the question is, how do I tell they're still in the correct places on the switch itself?

I'll try testing the switch now as well.

#4 2 years ago

Switch tests good, no short

#5 2 years ago

Put a piece of electrical tape around the back switch. It's a different new Switch so it's probably working fine and you're just being anal, no offense this happens alot. New switch may feel totally different

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from WAM:

Put a piece of electrical tape around the back switch. It's a different new Switch so it's probably working fine and you're just being anal, no offense this happens alot. New switch may feel totally different

In the switch test the coil is activated while the switch reads as not pressed, when I press the switch the switch reads as pressed and the coil stays activated, when I release the switch the switch test reads the switch as no longer pressed, and the coil stays activated.

#7 2 years ago

Ok that is weird, but may not b related to the new switch. Are you sure that power is holding flipper bat when you try and put flipper back down? Just making sure somethings not sticking mechanically? If not it may be a bad diode on the coil or a bad coil

#8 2 years ago

Silly question because you say the double switch worked before, but what firmware version are you on (I think only L5 supports 2-state flippers).

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Silly question because you say the double switch worked before, but what firmware version are you on (I think only L5 supports 2-state flippers).

This.

#10 2 years ago

I didn't recall if the flipper staging worked like this before or not, the ROM version is L-2, so perhaps it just never has and isn't suppose to?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I didn't recall if the flipper staging worked like this before or not, the ROM version is L-2, so perhaps it just never has and isn't suppose to?

If you are on L-2 you only need the first switch closure and both will fire at the same time. If you go to L-5 you can hold the ball with the lower flipper and go for jackpot etc with the upper flipper.

The light effects in L-5 seem really....off....in my opinion. Arguably L-2 is the best software for HSII. I ran L5 for a week before putting L2 back in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/both-right-flippers-flip-on-first-switch-the-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.