(Topic ID: 190000)

Both flippers dead- Tommy

By chriswhitey

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello all I'm new to the forum and have limited PM Vocabulary so I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge...

I was fortunate to pick up a Data East Tommy PM Machine today. The same machine I played as a teenager... it was stored since 1999-2000 in the Pizza Shop owners garage since then so minus some dust the overall condition seems excellent.

From what I learned on this site I took off the glass and inspected the playfield, tried as best I could to determine what was and was not functional... why take the glass off? Because both flippers are non functional.
Besides the flippers and some burnt out bulbs, everything seems fine.
The blinders are present but I forgot to see if they respond...
I will do that today.

The strange thing about the flippers is, they DO RESPOND during the opening video mode (capt walker plane mode) controlling the plane on the display flawlessly, but the flippers don't move whatsoever.

Where do I start troubleshooting?
Should I purchase a full flipper replacement kit or could this be a fuse or wire (something minor)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have an electrical engineer who works for me that will be helping me work on the PM repairs but he has little to no "PM experience". I figure he would be capable to discern the diagrams, wiring etc.

Thanks again

#2 6 years ago

The flippers respond in the video modes because the switches work but not the coils. I would first suspect a fuse. I would also suspect you replace it and it will blow again - replace the fuse turn on and see what happens does a flipper get stuck on and up and so report back buy many fuses pay attention to value and do not over fuse.

#3 6 years ago

Thank you kindly, Sir!

#4 6 years ago

Decided to send Tommy to TNT for a full Restore. Can't wait to bring it back better than ever!

#5 6 years ago

I would have sold you mine with a Pinsound board, full LED and fully functional. How much does TNT charge?

1 week later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I would have sold you mine with a Pinsound board, full LED and fully functional. How much does TNT charge?

$2500-$3000 for full restore with led

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/both-flippers-dead-tommy?hl=chriswhitey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.