• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_0443 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have a very nice WPT that only needed a clear upper pf to be even better. Bought a new one but removing the old one was much more difficult than I expected. Then I somehow scratched the new pf...didn't look too bad. After reading about how great Novus 2 was (but never using it) now my nice new pf looks like this. I'm so pissed. I bought microfiber cloths for this so I don't understand why it's worse now than before the Novus. What'd I do wrong? I'm afraid to even try anything else. Difficult to get a good picture but I think you can see the swirling scratches/smudges.

IMG_0443 (resized).JPGIMG_0443 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

How hard did you press ? Looks like you might have picked up a foreign object in the cloth which has scratched the plastic. Back out with the Novus. Don't press too hard and keep changing the bit of cloth you use for a clean patch. Small circles not big long strokes.
It isn't ruined and you can get the scratches out. Have patience.

#3 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure that Novis 2 is abrasive.

#4 6 years ago

Novus 2 is a compound and should be followed up with a less aggressive compound (Novus 1 for example) especially when used on clear objects. You can also use those headlight cleaners at auto stores to fix this.

At this point I would actually recommend the headlight products to help reduce the scratches and polish them out.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm pretty sure that Novis 2 is abrasive.

It is but he was trying to remove a scratch. I used Novus 2 with a Treasure Cove polishing kit on my WPT upper playfield and it came up great.

IMG_1464.JPGIMG_1464.JPG

#6 6 years ago

theres a hundred different ways you could buff that out, but I agree, you'll need to follow up with something finer after novus 2

#7 6 years ago

Looks like you've still got polishing media on the plastic, which makes it hard to judge what you're dealing with. Clean it with Novus 1 and post another pic. If it still looks like that after cleaning then I agree with stoptap that something was caught under the cloth. Also as he said use small swirls rather than big strokes.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

It is but he was trying to remove a scratch. I used Novus 2 with a Treasure Cove polishing kit on my WPT upper playfield and it came up great.

Your pop bumper light is out that won't be a PITA to change or anything.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Your pop bumper light is out that won't be a PITA to change or anything.

Just how the lights were cycling at the time of the photo. The white LEDs and clear covers really brighten up that area.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Just how the lights were cycling at the time of the photo. The white LEDs and clear covers really brighten up that area.

That's a relief! I've learned to hot glue my LED's in the pop bumper sockets because if they vibrate loose it's about a 30 minute job just to re-seat the bulb with all the stuff you need to take off!

#11 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies and advice. I pressed down pretty hard when wiping off the Novus 2. Bought cheap @ss microfiber cloth on EBay but thinking that maybe the cloth wasn't soft enough I went to an auto parts store and the cloth there doesn't seem any better. I'll have to order some Novus 1. For some idiotic reason I thought 2 would be good enough.

Wife just had a surgery so pinball project on hold for awhile but I'll post some picks when I try again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/botched-wpt-upper-pf-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.