(Topic ID: 186262)

Boston (the band) Pinball thoughts?

By cpiel

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

culture-club-boy-george-1983-billboard-650 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5165 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    bee_gees_album (resized).png
    jim (resized).jpg
    boston-baked-beans-2 (resized).png
    Sib (resized).png
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Not sure if this has been discussed before (couldn't find anything) but seems like this would make a killer game complete with the futuristic guitar space ships etc. I'm generally not one to pre-order a game, but would be first on the list for this one.

Any other Boston fans out there who think this may be a viable title for Stern or JJP to consider?

#2 7 years ago

Nice idea, but it wouldn't sell. Although the songs would be great in a pin, there simply isn't a big enough market for that band to make a game out of it. They usually look for bands that can fill stadiums. Boston (fake Boston now, RIP to those two members) usually has to team up with one or two other 70s bands just to fill outdoor summer concert venues.

#3 7 years ago

For a long time I have had more than a feeling owning a smokin' Boston pin would give me some peace of mind.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

For a long time I have had more than a feeling owning a smokin' Boston pin would give me some peace of mind.

We're ready.

#5 7 years ago

Great band,but I believe he's right not a big enough audience.I saw them in 76'and they were great!

#6 7 years ago

I have more than a feeling that this wouldnt do well.

#7 7 years ago

They were here last summer. They were pretty good and a great light show.

#8 7 years ago

Leave this thread and Don't look back. But they are right....not enough of a draw for the 1st or 2nd stage. Definitely a "Third Stage" band. But if they did make a Boston pin, I would walk right up to it on the showroom floor and say "let me take you home tonight".

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Leave this thread and Don't look back. But they are right....not enough of a draw for the 1st or 2nd stage. Definitely a "Third Stage" band. But if they did make a Boston pin, I would walk right up to it on the showroom floor and say "let me take you home tonight".

and don't look ba-a-a-ack.

#10 7 years ago

I for one would love it but i agree that it just wouldnt have a big enough fan base. I saw them the year before Brad sadly took his own life and they were unreal !

#11 7 years ago

I asked Amanda during foreplay and she said we're ready for one.

#12 7 years ago

Hollyann thought it would be a perfect pin to have when we host a party. If somebody would just make one title she wants she'd be feelin' satisfied, but if it doesn't get made, she's used to bad news.

#13 7 years ago

I think if they make Boston the Pinball machine it would be suicide.

#14 7 years ago

Buy a Mustang pin and add some Boston songs.

#15 7 years ago

They did have have that one great album. at the time my favorite album of all time and then just disappeared for at least 10 years as I recall. Everybody knows that album cover but most people could not pick any member of Boston out of a lineup. You will have to do a retheme for that one.

#16 7 years ago

I would wager I'm the biggest Boston fan on this forum, but I still can't see a big enough market. Their recent albums are very fringe and they are just not a substantial part of the collective consciousness anymore.

It would look and sound killer, though!

Maybe I will win the lottery some day and commission a retheme. Maybe a Lost in Space with a Boston Guitar space ship and PinSound to the rescue for the music?

#17 7 years ago

Can't wait to see and hear BOSTON play this summer!! Its been such a long time.............

#18 7 years ago

I would be first in line. I suggested this awhile back in another thread and nearly got crucified (it seemed) for even suggesting it. I'm pretty sure it would never happen. Artwork would be amazing. Tom Scholtz is pretty protective of his art after getting burned earlier on in his career (from what I've read). I'm actually going to see them live some time in June. Of course they aren't the same without Delp these days. But as long as Tom is still playing, I will listen. He's a genius.

#19 7 years ago

Im a huge Boston fan but they really did die along with Brad. I do agree that Tom is a musical genius though !!

#20 7 years ago

RIP Sib!

Sib (resized).pngSib (resized).png

#21 7 years ago

Gotta love the hair !!!

#22 7 years ago

More Than A Feeling is a good song but I'd rather play a pin based on a more idiosyncratic band.

#23 7 years ago

Boston would be a perfect pinball theme. They made their best music in the 70s and sold millions of records back then.

I mean if that doesn't fit the criteria for a modern pinball theme in the 21st century, nothing does.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Boston would be a perfect pinball theme. They made their best music in the 70s and sold millions of records back then. I mean if that doesn't fit the criteria for a modern pinball theme in the 21st century, nothing does.

Why has noone in this thread yet suggested a Monkees themed pin? The 70s are dead, the 60s is where it's at for pinball licensing these days (look no further than Batman '66).

#25 7 years ago

It's already made for me. Don't Look Back and More than a Feeling are songs on my Ac/dc!

#26 7 years ago

An ELO pin would be fun. A Black Sabbath pin. Pink Floyd. Jethro Tull. Steeleye Span. Alan Parsons. Talking Heads.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

An ELO pin would be fun.

I think I love you. But please, don't take that the wrong way.

#28 7 years ago

That 1st album was one of the top ten best selling albums for years but I think there are a few band choices that would be before a Boston pin. If they ever make it to a Boston pin they'll be At least 20 more music pins made, it's not looking good

#29 7 years ago

Foreigner's next.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Why has noone in this thread yet suggested a Monkees themed pin? The 70s are dead, the 60s is where it's at for pinball licensing these days (look no further than Batman '66).

5-7 years ago (and maybe even today) a The Beatles machine would have done great

#31 7 years ago

I'd be more interested in Boston Baked Beans, the pinball machine.

boston-baked-beans-2 (resized).pngboston-baked-beans-2 (resized).png

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think I love you. But please, don't take that the wrong way.

Hah. That'd be a fun theme though, esp since all their albums have their own themes which would provide variety. Finish the different mini-wizard modes to light up the UFO, etc.

#33 7 years ago

I just don't think this an interesting enough band for a pin. The music is the definition of bland corporate 70s rock and the band members have absolutely zero personality to speak of. Most people probably can't even name a member.

So all you've got to work with is some cool cover art?

#34 7 years ago

Welp all the bad puns have already been made so I'll see myself out.

#35 7 years ago

ELO with the greatest electric light show ever. Also like the Boston Baked Beans idea, art by Andy Warhol.

#36 7 years ago

Well, it was just another pin out of Chitown
    Out on route to make ends meet
    I played it in bars and hauled it in cars
    But made so cheap it fell apart in the street
    No, it didn't make much money
    Barely enough clearcoat to survive
    But when they announced it one day
    People lined up to pay
    Preorder is still alive

Boston Pin
    Everybody wants in
    Playfields hazy
    no code lazy
    Pay Pay Pay Yeah yeah Yeah

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The music is the definition of bland

You have a curious definition of bland.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

ELO with the greatest electric light show ever.

This was posted only to get an gratuitous thumbs up from me. And it worked.

Traveled to the Hollywood Bowl to see them, and just went to see them inducted into the RRHOF. My favorite, with Queen a close second. But...you know...Freddie's dead, so...

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'd be more interested in Boston Baked Beans, the pinball machine.

I like it. Maybe a classic candy theme so they can work in NECCO wafers and Twin Bings.

#40 7 years ago

I'd with ELO, but you know they'd leave off the most rockin' song they ever did.

#41 7 years ago

I would think that one of the 2017 inductees to the Hall of Fame would be next in line to be used as a music-related pinball theme.

My guess would be one of these four:

ELO

Journey

Pearl Jam

Yes

#42 7 years ago

Jim Masdea (the original Boston drummer) and myself at his bar in 2013, Shenzhen China.

jim (resized).jpgjim (resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I would think that one of the 2017 inductees to the Hall of Fame would be next in line to be used as a music-related pinball theme.
    My guess would be one of these four:
    ELO
    Journey
    Pearl Jam
    Yes

Pearl Jam would be the best of those four...and I'm not even a Pearl Jam fan.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

My guess for the next music-themed pin would be one of these four:
    ELO or Journey or Pearl Jam or Yes

Hard for someone to say "no" to a Yes pin. Too confusing.

#45 7 years ago

There are many other threads discussing various band themed pinball machines and seeking general input about all band themes - I thought this thread was very specifically ONLY about Boston?

"Boston (the band) Pinball thoughts?"

#46 7 years ago

The first mode would be amazing and the game would collapse under the pressure of its success.

#47 7 years ago

"Boston (the band) Pinball" would have been a massive hit back in 1976/7 not so sure now though.

I am a huge fan of the first two albums! I can still remember my guitar teaching show me the riff for More Than a Feeling... I then went and bought the LP without ever hearing the actual song ( I was 12 at the time). The guitar solo in Hitch Ride is still one of my all time favorites.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from cocomonkeh:

The first mode would be amazing and the game would collapse under the pressure of its success.

Yeah like several bands from the 70's Boston kind of shot their wad with their 1st album. There is no debating that is was an iconic classic from what I consider to be the greatest decade in rock history and sold millions of copies. Their debut has shown resilience that most could only have dreamed of achieving.

Other great bands from the period who's debut album IMO was by-far their best include:

Van Halen
    The Cars
    Rush
    Dire Straits

Unlike Boston though, these four bands all had stronger follow-up albums to their iconic debuts.

#49 7 years ago

They sort of did already...Isn't Aerosmith from Boston?

#50 7 years ago

I wouldnt mind a Hall & Oates pinball

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/boston-the-band-pinball-thoughts/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.