Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by uzi1951
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi new here. I saw a thread about boston repair about a year ago. Since i'm new i can't respond to it. Does anyone have any suggestions for repair people in the boston area. I have a Fish Tales machine and the plunger isn't firing. any suggestions would be great. thanks.

charlie

#2 5 years ago

where abouts in Boston?

#3 5 years ago

boston. faneuil hall area.

#4 5 years ago

I've used Sarah at http://myarcaderepair.com/ for several years. She's always done excellent work.

#5 5 years ago

i actually bought the machine from sarah. she seems to be quite busy these days. Wondering if there was anyone else around someone has used before.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from charlie812:

i actually bought the machine from sarah. she seems to be quite busy these days. Wondering if there was anyone else around someone has used before.

Shame that the person you purchased a machine from doesn't have time to look at an issue for you!!!

Are you at all willing to work on the game yourself? Typically you can put a description of the issue here on Pinside and someone with the game will respond telling you what to check!!! Most of the time it's something simple and it will save you the money of hiring someone!

#7 5 years ago

i would love to be able to fix it myself. other than electric guitar repair, i'm not well versed in electronics repair. I did find this thread regarding the same issue, but no real follow up was posted. I would love to do it myself if i can find the right info.

#8 5 years ago

that said i do have the manual. and have at least checked the fuses, and they all look good. was hoping it would be as easy as a blown fuse.

#9 5 years ago

Throw a post up on here with the subject field of something like "Whitewater Plunger Issue" and then advise exactly what is and is not happening. I am sure someone with this machine has had same issue and will point you in the right direction. If it becomes too involved or related to a board issue then you can look into having someone else do the work.

I knew nothing about pinball machines but with Pinside and RGP I have learned a lot as most people on here are more then willing to assist!

#10 5 years ago

Charlie. Find the solenoid the fires the plunger. Visually inspect both solder joints. Are the wires still connected?

If yes good.. Now take a DMM, set it to volts DC. Measure the voltage on both sides of the coil lug. Should be 50v on both lugs. The coin door interconnect may cut the solenoid voltagee.

If yes go to the driver board in the back box. Locate the associated transistor using the manual. Use an alligator clip jumper wire, short the transistor tab to ground. Does the solenoid fire?

If no, you have a wiring issue. If yes you have a logic board issue.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Shame that the person you purchased a machine from doesn't have time to look at an issue for you!!!

Sarah is a very busy person. Between running one of the largest New England arcades www.pinballwizardarcade.com (120+ pins and 170+ video games) she is down to about 7 days a month where she can make service calls.

Follow barakandl's directions and you will soon become an expert in pin repair. Half the fun I have with my games is learning everything I can about them. Pinside is a great place to find people to help!

#12 5 years ago

Pinwiki is a helpful site to assist in repairs.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from XPinPinball:

Sarah is a very busy person. Between running one of the largest New England arcades http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com (120+ pins and 170+ video games) she is down to about 7 days a month where she can make service calls.
Follow barakandl's directions and you will soon become an expert in pin repair. Half the fun I have with my games is learning everything I can about them. Pinside is a great place to find people to help!

She wasn't too busy to sell him a pin!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

She wasn't too busy to sell him a pin!

It's not clear when the transaction occurred, much less what the terms of the transaction were. You might have to wait for a slot on her schedule to get a service call, but she's worth it. If you don't want to wait, she's typically fine with you bringing the pin to her at the arcade. She usually has time to work on them during the day so there's much less turn-around time. I've done this several times and always been satisfied.

#15 5 years ago

I do onsite pinball repair in the greater Boston area.

Dave (Doc)
www.pinballdoctor.com

Quoted from charlie812:

Hi new here. I saw a thread about boston repair about a year ago. Since i'm new i can't respond to it. Does anyone have any suggestions for repair people in the boston area. I have a Fish Tales machine and the plunger isn't firing. any suggestions would be great. thanks.
charlie

#16 5 years ago

Please check the fuses with a multimeter, with one end of the fuse pulled from the holder. Looking good doesn't mean they are good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside