united federation of planets (resized).jpg
0824161718a_resized (resized).jpg
0824161719b_resized (resized).jpg
0824161718_resized (resized).jpg
0824161716_resized (resized).jpg
DSCN1307 (resized).JPG
DSCN1299 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Finally, an upgrade to the large ugly Borg ship in the back of “Star Trek The Next Generation” that no one recognizes.

Upgrade to the most known icon of the STTNG series and movies, the Borg Cube, that everyone recognizes.

This is a two- part mod. The first part is the large Borg Cube in the center back of the machine. It’s made of green transparent acrylic with a transparent multi shade grey finish to match the original Borg Cube when the game is on or off. The original white flashers will light green through the cube with no alterations to the machine.

The second part is the right back corner of the game. This is a flat black finish (to match the back of the game) acrylic box that slides over the right side flashers. It also has a flap to cover all original wires on the game. This is installed with a 3 light LED strip from Comet Pinball and a 36” cable to connect to a 6.3 volt on the play field. The LED strip lights up a translucent blue oval with the United Federation of Planets logo. This LED strip is included. Again, no alteration to the game.

This mod in the game changes and upgrades the entire look of the game. It takes under 10 minutes to install with only a Philips head screwdriver.

These will be in production in one week for $199.99 and $18.00 priority shipping in the United States. I will sell in the order that I receive PM’s. I will not accept payment until I am ready to ship.

The first 20 will be for United States shipping and then I will start shipping out of the United States for required shipping.
The top pictures are with an LED strip. If you go down to the video you will see it in Borg Multiball with stock flashers.

Design concept: Danderwil
Design and construction: Chuck “Wood Chuck” Norris

We will have a large mod store with over 80 original items opening in 2 months. Many items that have never been seen before.

#2 7 years ago

DSCN1297 (resized).JPGDSCN1297 (resized).JPG

DSCN1298 (resized).JPGDSCN1298 (resized).JPG

DSCN1299 (resized).JPGDSCN1299 (resized).JPG

DSCN1307 (resized).JPGDSCN1307 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

0824161716_resized (resized).jpg0824161716_resized (resized).jpg

0824161718_resized (resized).jpg0824161718_resized (resized).jpg

0824161719b_resized (resized).jpg0824161719b_resized (resized).jpg

0824161718a_resized (resized).jpg0824161718a_resized (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

united federation of planets (resized).jpgunited federation of planets (resized).jpg

DSCN1310 (resized).JPGDSCN1310 (resized).JPG

original (resized).JPGoriginal (resized).JPG

DSCN1312 (resized).JPGDSCN1312 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Well done! I would like to see a video of this mod during Borg multiball

#6 7 years ago

Very Cool Mods

#7 7 years ago

very nice work, congrats on the launch of many mods to come

#8 7 years ago

Very nice. Now if we could someone with computer hacking skills to change the Borg ship on the DMD to the correct one.

#9 7 years ago

The borg ship that was on the original game you could say is a correct one : http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Borg_type_03

#10 7 years ago

Cool. Sttng left my gameroom already but always found the Borg ship a design failure. And yes, it has appeared once in the series but come on, Borg ship has to be a cube as in 99% of the movies

#11 7 years ago

I'm interested in seeing some video though I'm pretty happy with my custom painted version with green inserts and green flashers.

1c (resized).jpg1c (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

I will make a video in a few days with the game in borg multiball. I have ordered some Comet matrix 12v lights to test also. When I get the lights in I will do video of both.

Since we are doing the work on the big borg cube, we are also making a small Borg cube that will drop on the metal ball popper housing on the left side middle of the game. Should have pictures in a few days for that.

I will have a package price for both.

Also, the big Borg Cube & Starfleet insignia are very, very strong. The total weight of them are over 2 pounds, and are supported with metal brackets.

metal ramp left borg (resized).jpgmetal ramp left borg (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Here is a video of Borg Multi ball using the stock games flashers in the borg cube.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

Here is a video of Borg Multi ball using the stock games flashers in the borg cube.
» YouTube video

Wait a minute did you just accidently leak another mod by accident or has it been released in the past and I have not known about it ; The speaker panel is illuminating

#15 7 years ago

Figured I needed to start leaking things out to get some interest.

We have Been working on those for about a year. We will have lighted speaker panels for about 25 Bally/Games when we open. That prototype was from about 8 months ago, many upgrades since then. Working with Rich at PPS for some new plastic panels with shadow masks. Have a few of those in stock now.

Have Stern prototypes made and have been emailing with Stern on weather to use their artwork, make our own artwork, or per their suggestion, maybe an option for the Stern store. Not sure of the direction we will be doing on Stern yet. Probably take a couple of months after we open to start selling Stern panels.

We have a lot of stuff that has never been done before coming.

I will start a thread in a couple of days with more details on lighted speaker panels.

Thanks for noticing.

#16 7 years ago

Too bad you can't also edit the ROM to display a Borg Cube on the DMD instead of the weird original one. That would be awesome~!

#17 7 years ago

Too bad there's not room for it to be a Cube instead of a Shoebox...Looks great if you can get past that, and the price. I couldn't even if I owned the machine. [face_picky]

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Too bad there's not room for it to be a Cube instead of a Shoebox...Looks great if you can get past that, and the price. I couldn't even if I owned the machine. [face_picky]

Thanks for the feedback. Are you aware that the renegade Borg ship that came with the game is only the top of the ship?

What do you feel would be a fair price? Remember, the main Borg ship is 8 inches by 8 inches by 4 inches, and the section with the star fleet insignia on the right, is roughly 5 inches by 5 inches by 2 inches. None of it blocks game play. Both sections light up. Less then 10 minutes to install.

I just get frustrated when I have someone over and they look at the game, if they say something about the Borg ship, 98% of the time they ask "What is that?"

Now they look at the game, and they say "that is cool as heck". Ok, maybe they don't say heck.

I do understand that mods are not for everyone, and some people would not take a mod if given to them.

To bad about the DMD, but that does match the translite.

renegade-borg-beauty (resized).jpgrenegade-borg-beauty (resized).jpg

Ohniaka_III_orbit (resized).jpgOhniaka_III_orbit (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

Price is fair for what it is. Pricey maybe for some, but the time and effort and materials etc mean this is what it takes.

#20 7 years ago

Thanks Aurich, with your experience, it carries a lot of weight.

#21 7 years ago

Well done. I was waiting for someone to do this. I posted this awhile back:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-borg-cube-mod
Someone chimed in with the history of why they went with a ship that appeared once in the series

#22 7 years ago

From that, it sounded that they would have gone with a larger Borg Cube if they could have figured it out. Sounds like the biggest they could do was 3 x 3 or 4 x 4.

"Greg told me it was his impression that non-trekkors, who
didn't know how powerful the Borg was, would not be impressed with the
"menacing" look of a three or four inch square ship."

Now we have what the original designers wanted, a big "menacing" Borg Cube.

Thanks tilt-master

#24 7 years ago

From that, it sounded that they would have gone with a larger Borg Cube if they could have figured it out. Sounds like the biggest they could do was 3 x 3 or 4 x 4.
"Greg told me it was his impression that non-trekkors, who
didn't know how powerful the Borg was, would not be impressed with the
"menacing" look of a three or four inch square ship."
Now we have what the original designers wanted, a big "menacing" Borg Cube.
Thanks tilt-master

not only that, but Paramount wanted them to use the "new" ship design. it was for the Season 6 finale, "Descent Part 1":

Quoted from mikebetz42:

It was about this time that Paramount called and told the design
team about the big, exciting season finale that was going to feature a new
and different Borg ship. Steve Ritchie immediately wanted to know if the
design change was permanent and was told something like, "Maybe, but
there's going to be a new one in this episode, it's really going to be
cool, and we think you should use it."

Paramount was being a little disingenuous here, in my opinion. The ship wasn't even a real Borg ship. it was flown by a bunch of renegade ex-Borg who were enslaved by Data's evil twin brother, Lore.

#25 7 years ago

We have Been working on those for about a year. We will have lighted speaker panels for about 25 Bally/Games when we open.

I'd be interested to see what you have to offer in these. Is there anyway you could do a speaker panel for BF?

#26 7 years ago

the lighted speaker panel looks great, very nice work, now we just hope there is CFTBL lit panel as those kits are dam hard to find now.

any leaks

#27 7 years ago

Have Stern prototypes made and have been emailing with Stern on weather to use their artwork, make our own artwork, or per their suggestion, maybe an option for the Stern store.

I missed out on aurichs star trek art package mod (like many other people) so by having a new art package for the speaker panel that will light up will be awesome.

#28 7 years ago

Looks nice to me,makes me want to own the machine.
Mike

#29 7 years ago

Finally, an upgrade to the large ugly Borg ship in the back of “Star Trek The Next Generation” that no one recognizes.

Uh, I don't think so. Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock Borg ship. I do not recognize the cube at all and to say that no one recognizes the Borg ship in the game is not accurate because I do.

Quoted from Frax:

Too bad there's not room for it to be a Cube instead of a Shoebox.

Shoebox LOL!!!

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'd be interested to see what you have to offer in these. Is there anyway you could do a speaker panel for BF?

Once we get caught up, we are planning on doing both Data East and Sega. We have a Frankenstein for just that reason. It took forever to get Bally/Williams figured out. Stern went pretty quick after that. Data East has one or two issue to iron out, but Sega does not look like a problem.

#31 7 years ago

I think it looks great. The only reason I wouldn't get one is that it doesn't match the animations in the game. That would bother me too much.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

the lighted speaker panel looks great, very nice work, now we just hope there is CFTBL lit panel as those kits are dam hard to find now.
any leaks

Thank you and yes. The lighted speaker panel for CFTBL will be in our first release. The panel that fits that game will be good in about 20 games. Unfortunately we don't do the sequence lights, but our panel will light up the orange sunset (that is what everyone comments on when they see that panel) and all of the stars. Plus another upgrade that I will share in a couple of days. Also don't worry about the power, we have that figured out.

We will have an optional plastic speaker panel with a shadow mask on it coming, we should have it when we open. Yes, optimal plastic speaker panel is genuine Bally/Williams product.

#33 7 years ago

Sorry, wrong thread.

#34 7 years ago

Once we get caught up, we are planning on doing both Data East and Sega. We have a Frankenstein for just that reason. It took forever to get Bally/Williams figured out. Stern went pretty quick after that. Data East has one or two issue to iron out, but Sega does not look like a problem.

I'll be looking for it. Also, the H channel that the backglass sits in on top of the speaker panel and plastic and is unobtainium so is there a way for you to make that too?

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'll be looking for it. Also, the H channel that the backglass sits in on top of the speaker panel and plastic and is unobtainium so is there a way for you to make that too?

Some how I got this in the wrong thread. When we were making the Stern panels, their was no way on their panel to hold a plastic speaker panel. We had to work with other H, U and L channels to allow the original translite sit in the new panel, like the original, but had to add those channels to hold a plastic on the top and bottom. Took us a while to figure that out, but now we have about 30 different channels in our shop.

Have not specifically looked at that on Sega yet, just a general look, but we got Frankenstein specifically to work that out. On this entire project, I cold not believe how many problems their were. It seemed for the longest time every time we would solved one problem, we would find 2 more.

#36 7 years ago

Those Sega channels on the top are wide and stapled on from the back.

#37 7 years ago

I like the idea, the detail to the surface, and the interior green lights a lot. Fully agree on the 'shoebox' versus 'cube' as far as size goes. For those that aren't familiar with the cube: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/borg-cube

(And now I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to rig up a beam to the cube and have the sphere poke out like a cuckoo clock, and even have it trigger on a Picard Maneuver...)

#38 7 years ago

What do you feel would be a fair price?

It's not about what *I* think is a fair price. It's not my place to tell you what your time and materials are worth.

I love how I give my wife mod ideas, explain how they can be done, and then she just goes and posts them for everyone else to steal. Wow, man. SMH... =P

Anyways, there's no good solution to the size issue. I think your explanation of part of the ship being outside the player's field of view is an acceptable answer, yes.

2 weeks later
#39 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Uh, I don't think so. Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock Borg ship. I do not recognize the cube at all and to say that no one recognizes the Borg ship in the game is not accurate because I do.

Ok when the game was made this was the "new" borg ship (only a renegade one in season 6 that appeared once in the whole franchise history). The "Q who" episode in season 2 really showed off the borg as an unstoppable menace with the cube front and center. As time went on, this goofy borg ship became obscure thanks to Voyager and an awesome scene in First Contact. How you don't recognize a borg cube is beyond me . Disingenuous or not that big of a star trek follower? The cube mod looks great. That star fleet logo though, I could do without.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Ok when the game was made this was the "new" borg ship (only a renegade one in season 6 that appeared once in the whole franchise history). The "Q who" episode in season 2 really showed off the borg as an unstoppable menace with the cube front and center. As time went on, this goofy borg ship became obscure thanks to Voyager and an awesome scene in First Contact. How you don't recognize a borg cube is beyond me . Disingenuous or not that big of a star trek follower? The cube mod looks great. That star fleet logo though, I could do without.

Thanks for the reply.

The blue star fleet logo is a plexiglass piece that goes into the black box, and can be easily changed to something else. If a few people are interested and want a different insert then the blue star fleet logo, we can do that.

#41 7 years ago

We got caught up on orders, and have a few in stock if anyone else wants one.

Easy pay paypal link for priority mail with tracking ($199.99 plus $18.00 S&H):

https://www.paypal.me/DKuschill/217.99

big borg cubes (resized).jpgbig borg cubes (resized).jpg

4 years later
#42 3 years ago

Anyone have this Borg mod, and can help a guy out here, to decide if I want to pull the trigger on one? Much appreciated

#43 3 years ago

I've got one.

Yeah, its expensive as hell...the cube does not match the backglass, the cube doesn't match the images on the dmd and so on...

BUT I LOVE IT..PERIOD!

Maurizio

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/borg-cube-upgrade-mod-to-star-trek-the-next-generation-sttng?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.