New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183390)

Bop_Switch Matrix

By Devilsmuse

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Cherry switch back (resized).jpg
Cherry Switch 2 (resized).jpg
Cherry switch 1  (resized).jpg
Cherry switch 5 (resized).jpg
Cherry switch back 1 (resized).jpg
Cherry switch 4 (resized).jpg
switch_matrix_phantom_switches_2 (resized).jpg
sw 54 (resized).jpg
sw 51 (resized).jpg
Socket repair back (resized).jpg
CPU board back (resized).jpg
CPU board front (resized).jpg
Socket repair (resized).jpg
Header pins (resized).jpg
pins and connectors (resized).jpg
connectors J207, J209 (resized).jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Sw.34 reads .514 and OL the other way. Sw.54 reads .546 and OL the other way . Stripes are all going the right way.

#52 3 years ago

You may have two bad switches. Pretty rare, but possible. Jumper from the banded side of the diode to the Normally Open lug. That will also test the diode at the same time.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You may have two bad switches. Pretty rare, but possible. Jumper from the banded side of the diode to the Normally Open lug. That will also test the diode at the same time.

Terryb, I jumperedested it from band side to the NO lug and nothing happened in the switch edges test.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

Terryb, I jumperedested it from band side to the NO lug and nothing happened in the switch edges test.

That's odd. Are you sure the diodes aren't reversed?

Post some photos of those two switches.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

Sw.34 reads .514 and OL the other way. Sw.54 reads .546 and OL the other way . Stripes are all going the right way.

Terry I mispoke I typed sw34- I meant to type 51. The switches in question are 51 and 54.

I took pictures of 51 and 54 and here are the switches you can see the diodes....

sw 51 (resized).jpg

sw 54 (resized).jpg

#56 3 years ago

Diodes look correct, but I see a lot of other stuff I don't like. The good news though is you now know the problem is right in that area.

In the first photo the diode should not be in-between the playfield and the switch. Who knows what it could be touching, or the lead even broken. The solder joints aren't horrible, but not good either. I've never seen a switch quite like that and can't tell which is the NO lug and which is the NC lug. You could check that to common with a meter.

In the second photo the copper piece that the green wire is soldered to shouldn't be curved around like that and looks like it could be touching the other copper piece. Solder joint on left is not great and the one on right could be a cold joint. I would compare the lug connections to another leaf switch and make sure they match. Added image of leaf switch connections below (wire colors are different so go by row and column labels).

I would probably replace both switches and wire them up cleanly.

Another test you could do on the switches is (game off and meter on continuity) one lead on common and one lead on normally open and make sure you get continuity when you manually close the switch.

switch_matrix_phantom_switches_2 (resized).jpg

#57 3 years ago

Thanks I'm going to give that a try. Stay tuned...many thanks

#58 3 years ago

Terryb, While I am waiting for parts to arrive. I wanted to show you the spinner switch. You said you hadn't ever seen one quite like this. See if this makes any sense to you. I am confused. Theoretically can this even function as a switch in the switch matrix?

Cherry switch 4 (resized).jpg

Cherry switch back 1 (resized).jpg

Cherry switch 5 (resized).jpg

Cherry switch 1 (resized).jpg

Cherry Switch 2 (resized).jpg

Cherry switch back (resized).jpg

#59 3 years ago

OK, it's just a cherry switch. That piece of fiberboard was confusing me.

The third lug (the one with the diode and the wht/xxx wire) is not electrically part of the switch circuit. It's just a place where the wire and the diode can be soldered.

Since you've got it all apart check the switch with your meter (game off, ohms setting) and see if it works.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

Theoretically can this even function as a switch in the switch matrix?

This is wired correctly. Check switch as Terry said and check the diode too.

#61 3 years ago

Well I have good news. I replaced both sw.51 and sw.54 and it works! I can't say which was bad , probably a solder break , because the diodes and switches checked out when I pulled them out of the machine but I replaced them anyway. I redid all the wiring and soldering..... "She's Alive!" I_B_BOP_in Tonight! Thank you Mr Grumpy and a big thanks to Terryb , I learned so much trying to fix this problem- I not an expert but I do now know my way around the switch matrix. Cheers! I am so Happy!!!!!!!!!

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

I_B_BOP_in Tonight!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 25.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside