Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dbeeson
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm working on a Bride of Pinbot. No sound at all. I noticed one of the wires came loose from the board that was going to a lug on the speaker. I repaired that, but didn't solve the issue. So, I took the board out, disconnected the A-14418 coil stuck onto the speaker panel (crossover) and measured the speakers and coil. The speakers are all shorted open and the coil is shorted closed. So, the coil and speakers are toast.
I then took the sound board out of the game and stuck it into addams family.
I had an experience in the past with a Judge Dredd where the sub was blown and I installed a new sub, only to hear a loud hum from the speaker, and within seconds it was blown. So I knew what to listen for, and sure enough, as soon as I turned TAF on with the BOP sound board installed, I heard the dreaded (no pun intended) hum. I only had it on for less than a second, no damage to my TAF speakers.

Anyone have any ideas about what to look at on the sound board? I have a good buddy that has a set of speakers to give me, but I need to figure out what's up with the sound board.

#2 8 years ago

I metered the speaker outputs and one side is putting out 26vdc. From what I've read, there should be no DC present on the speaker outputs. Anyone know where I should be looking first?

#3 8 years ago

Bad caps. And/or bad transistors on the heat syncs.

Replace them all first. They are cheap.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks erak, turns out it was the 5 pin LM1875 audio amp. -26vdc was going straight through it, to the speakers. Not the most readily available IC out there, that's for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 27.95
$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 40.00
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-speakers-blown-sound-board-lets-out-loud-hum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.