• Latest reply 10 years ago by be77amy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sound_board.jpg
#1 10 years ago

hey, so my Bride of Pinbot has developed a problem with the sound first off it had no sounds at all, then it had some soundFX but no music or voices now it has no sound again. Also it started a strange buzz from the speakers at switch on and one time a loud screech! I've pulled the sound board and C26 looks like its been on fire! obviously I'm gonna replace that but what could have caused this? I'm a little reluctant to put it back in!

sound_board.jpgsound_board.jpg

#2 10 years ago

It is more than a bit disconcerting, but it happens. The tantalum caps fail, and when the do they spark up like you experienced. There's likely other issues from your description, but C26 likely will be fine once replaced.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 10 years ago

Replaced the cap and got the sound back for a couple of mins then it went. Also the main amp on the heatsink is getting very hot!

#4 10 years ago

Re the sound dropping in and out, make sure all of the driver board's mounting screws are there and that they are all nipped up - could possibly be a grounding issue. I have had this happen on one of my machines.

#5 10 years ago

Definitely not a loose mount I'm afraid. I've replaced the 4 diodes in the rectifier circuit as I read that can cause the caps to blow but still no sound unfortunately.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from be77amy:

Also the main amp on the heatsink is getting very hot!

In that case I would replace it.

#7 10 years ago

Got one (10) on the way! I'll get it replaced as soon as possible

#8 10 years ago

So I got the amps replaced and regressed it. Also replaces c46 and c28 but still no sound

#9 10 years ago

Also C24/C25?
When you do replace them, do not forget to solder a wire from the top to bottom side of the pcb for each pin of the caps.

#10 10 years ago

I've just ordered some caps to do those 2. Not sure what you mean about soldering a wire from top to bottom?

#11 10 years ago

If you desolder the existing caps, and pull them out of the pcb, most likely you are also pulling the through-holes out of the pcb (or breaking them).
This is not a big issue if you know this happens.

What I always do is solder a wire (e.g. a leg of a resistor) on the component side of the pcb and stick it down through the hole. Then I stick the legs of the cap through the holes, and solder the leg of the cap and the extra wire to the solder side of the pcb.

That's for making sure that the connection from the top to the bottom is staying intact.

#12 10 years ago

Ah yeah I see, I can see how this might be a problem when soldering the bigger caps. thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.99
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-sound-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.