(Topic ID: 120243)

Bride of Pinbot - Sound FX missing off ramp switch?

By Von_Drehle

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by busa32927
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shuttle ramp gate.jpg
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Heya all, wondering if any BoP gurus can assist me, currently in the final stages of a complete BoP restoration / rebuild, and in testing the machine I have noticed do not appear to have any "abort abort" speech effect for an incomplete shot on the shuttle ramp.

Have just updated the game ROM to L-6 with anti ghost patch and diagnostic of sound version & sound chips appear to be "L-1".

I thought initially might be a switch issue as I can't seem to find any updates to the chips above this on my google searches, however going through the sound test menu, the "abort abort" speech effect is no where to be found, leading me to think this speech sample was not included in the sound chips I have.

Can anyone shed any light on this on what I need to do to fix or upgrade to get the complete speech package?

IMG_2521.JPGIMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2522.JPGIMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2523.JPGIMG_2523.JPG

#2 9 years ago

just updating my own research here, can anyone confirm if U18 speech chip shown there on mine as
PA 1 is causing the problem? and needs to be updated to L1 like U14 and U15 chips?

Is the PA1 chip the prototype sound chip?

I just found these guys selling chips and appears there is a L1 version for U18 chip....

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=ROMS196

#3 9 years ago

If the game is reporting L-1 sound, it's got L-1 sound, regardless of what the labels say.

Often times, WMS used stickers on top of stickers - you can see that on the other 2 sound ROMs, there's a little bit of brown peeking out from under them - if you popped the yellow labels off the top, the others would say PA1 as well.

I'm guessing they were stickered before they were programmed.

#4 9 years ago

ok thanks for that john, makes sense.

Still trying to work out why I am missing speech in the game then.....

#5 9 years ago

The sound test won't play every sound in the game.

Are you sure the switches are all registering correctly? You've tested them by rolling a ball, not by pressing with your finger?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The sound test won't play every sound in the game.
Are you sure the switches are all registering correctly? You've tested them by rolling a ball, not by pressing with your finger?

I agree. I had a similar issue with my bride and it was just the switch not registering in the opposite direction.

#7 9 years ago

Ok that is the next thing to try. Thankyou also for confirming not every sound is in the test menu, nice to know.

#8 9 years ago

ok another update, I have confirmed the switch gate at the beginning of the shuttle ramp is detecting forward and reverse movement of the gate.

Ball going up creates the take off / rocket sound effect as it should, but it makes the same sound effect with the gate swinging the other way when the ball comes back down. Instead of the abort abort speech effect.

Does anyone know if I am missing a logic wire or something like that determines which sound effect the gate switch makes? Still trying to work out why it is not working as expected..

#9 9 years ago

How did you test it? The only way it know the hit was in reverse is that it hits twice in rapid succession without another switch being hit. If you tested reverse by dropping the ball in from the back of the ramp the game will not know.

#10 9 years ago

just got a game going and rolling ball through the gate or using my fingers to move it either way.

I get the appropriate sound effect for the ball going up the ramp, and the same sound effect for the gate going the other way....

Simulating ball travel as in game, activating the switch for ball going up ramp, no other switches activated, then moving the gate backwards as if rolled back down.

2 weeks later
#11 9 years ago

ok just thought i'd provide an update to anyone else interested or ever encountering this problem, got this resolved, turned out to be the P-1 stickered sound ROM had this speech missing.

Don't know if Williams produced the game with mismatched ROM's that way or it's somehow been swapped during it's lifetime, but that was the culprit.

Sound ROM's reburned with latest version and got my 'abort abort' speech on the shuttle ramp now. Happy days!

#12 9 years ago

Hmmm,

Hi fellow Aussie,

I have the same issue. Have updated the ROM, and assumed it must be the switch.
I shall check further into it!

Cheers,

Mike.

#13 9 years ago

My BOP had the same issue. No "abort abort". Thanks for logging this.

#14 9 years ago

I had P-4 game ROMs running in mine. (I think) it had the abort-abort sounds but I know it was missing the little giggle laugh and the yawn sounds. I put in L-6 game ROM and those sounds were there. I did not change the sound ROMs, just the game ROM. I'd have to check to see what sound ROMs I'm running.

1 week later
#15 9 years ago

easy things to check is the switch test. do that and see if they game registers it. if you have a spare switch you might want to replace it.

have you ever heard the sound on the machine?

if so, check the switch and also check the wire connections at the switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 27.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 9.99
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-sound-effects-version-revision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.