(Topic ID: 267503)

BoP Restoration - I have no idea what I'm doing :)

By Boslaw

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Boslaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7284 (resized).jpeg
26738907-985E-4B88-94CD-415E67A5F48E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_7141 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7234 (resized).jpg
IMG_7169 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7110 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7098 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7096 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7097 (resized).jpeg
839E2B01-C610-4339-B2BB-9360FA35A8F8_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
IMG_6647 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I decided to tear down and restore a BoP as my first restoration. I've never done a playfield swap before but I figured this would give me something to do while I'm in covid quarantine I built a black pipe rotisserie, painted it up, and set it up on my patio last Saturday to enjoy the sunny weather while I worked.

Getting the playfield out of the machine by myself was the hardest part of the teardown by far. The teardown itself was quick and easy, and I was finished with both sides on Sunday except for a few posts and other small bits. Dishwashing the harness also went surprisingly well.

Although I have never done this before, the guides on pinside are so good that it's really hard to screw up. Thanks Vid1900, mof, and everyone else who spends time putting together detailed instructions on this site.

Next weekend, I'll start re-populating the bottom of my new Bauthamburg playfield.

I will have 2 older playfields and other parts for sale if anyone is interested.

839E2B01-C610-4339-B2BB-9360FA35A8F8_1_105_c (resized).jpeg839E2B01-C610-4339-B2BB-9360FA35A8F8_1_105_c (resized).jpegIMG_6647 (resized).jpegIMG_6647 (resized).jpegIMG_7096 (resized).jpegIMG_7096 (resized).jpegIMG_7097 (resized).jpegIMG_7097 (resized).jpegIMG_7098 (resized).jpegIMG_7098 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

This type of work is beyond me but I admire anyone taking on a new challenge. Good luck!

#3 3 years ago

It seemed a little daunting before I started, but actually doing it turned out to be WAY simpler than I thought it would be. No more difficult than putting together a puzzle or a lego set. I have taken hundreds of pics so I'm hoping that putting everything back together will not be too hard. We'll see if I've overestimated my abilities

#4 3 years ago

i'm 2/3rds of the way through a full top-to-bottom restoration, myself. with a 2.0 kit addition. if you get stuck on anything or need any pics for reference, i have over 2000 pics. just PM me.

-jon

#5 3 years ago

Thanks Jon. Any major challenges you've run into? Do you have a restoration thread on pinside?

#6 3 years ago

Hope you took like 17,354 pics, because I know that's what I need to do when I'm tearing down!!

BTW, good luck. Slow and steady win s the race. Pics, pics, pics.

#7 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-restomod

BOP was my first restoration as well. Posting a link to that thread as a possible resource for you as well. Take note of the PF issues I had. I believe they corrected those things as I told them about it in the initial runs. Best of luck!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Thanks Jon. Any major challenges you've run into? Do you have a restoration thread on pinside?

no thread, unfortunately. there's been a challenge every step of the way, just because i'm using a repro playfield, plastics ramp and faces. and the dimples and holes are all misaligned. really too many issues to list. just for example, the CPR reproduction faces are not beveled at the eyes and mouth, causing the ball to not rest properly in them (as others have encountered here). so coming up with a solution for that alone set me back a few weeks.

btw i did contact CPR about this issue, and got no clarity as to if they plan to fix this in future runs. it's a shame, because they're very nice, otherwise.

#9 3 years ago

Interesting. I got my playfield from Bauthamberg. I've heard good things about their playfields (and it looks fantastic) so hopefully I won't run into many (any) issues with the pre-drilled holes, etc. We'll see.

85vett nice job on your restomod. How did the purple paint hold up on your chrome, and what brand/kind of paint did you use?

#10 3 years ago

one switch replaced, dozens to go. . .

IMG_7109 (resized).jpegIMG_7109 (resized).jpegIMG_7110 (resized).jpegIMG_7110 (resized).jpeg

I'm using the yellow tape to remind myself which I've replaced.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

85vett nice job on your restomod. How did the purple paint hold up on your chrome, and what brand/kind of paint did you use?

I'm hoping it's held up pretty well as I used automotive paint. I prepped and painted it just like I would a car panel so it should still be good. I just can't confirm as I sold the game pretty quick after the restoration. I was a first run 2.0 buyer and the drama from all that kind of killed the fun of the game for me so it just sat unplayed in a corner for a couple months. Just couldn't stand seeing it not getting played so sold it.

#12 3 years ago

Ah-- tough to sell after doing all that work, but I think many of us like the restoration work as much or more than the actual playing.

2 weeks later
#13 3 years ago

Starting to populate the new playfield

IMG_7169 (resized).jpegIMG_7169 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#14 3 years ago

Cleaned up inside of cab, repainted the sides, new ground braid installed.

IMG_7234 (resized).jpgIMG_7234 (resized).jpg
#15 3 years ago

new playfield rails created & painted, plus some regrained metal rails

IMG_7141 (resized).jpegIMG_7141 (resized).jpeg
#16 3 years ago

Repainting my coin door using the Brian Kelly spatter technique. Flat base followed by gloss enamel speckle - easy to do and looks great when it's done

26738907-985E-4B88-94CD-415E67A5F48E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg26738907-985E-4B88-94CD-415E67A5F48E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#17 3 years ago

Repopulating the bottom of the playfield was MUCH easier than disassembling. I didn't have to stop every 10 seconds to take a picture and notes

IMG_7284 (resized).jpegIMG_7284 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#18 3 years ago

Are you still working on this?

#19 3 years ago

Yes, but I had to return the playfield to Buthamburg. Awaiting a new replacement. Hated to disassemble again after all that work. I've started up my target alpha restoration in the meantime.

#20 3 years ago

What was the issue with the playfield?

#21 3 years ago

After installing the t-nuts (pressed in, not hammered) and then installing the various bars (did require some tapping with a rubber mallet), I noticed scratches appearing under the clear in areas that I had not touched. I also got concerned about the clear being very soft - I waited 3 months to start populating the playfield but I could still very easily make an impression with my fingernail. Also, I had microfiber cloths under my clamps to protect the finish while the playfield was on my rotisserie. The microfiber cloths left a patterned impression in the clear. It seemed to me that the clear may not have cured properly. Peter at Buthamburg assured me that the playfield would be fine but agreed to take it back to have a look and possibly swap for a new one. Top notch customer service. I may be overreacting - this is my first playfield swap, expectations may be unrealistic, etc., and I admitted as much to Peter. I will say that the repro playfield he makes is beautiful looking and every hole appears to have been drilled in its proper place, no messed up artwork, etc. I would not hesitate to purchase another from him.

#22 3 years ago

I'd be concerned about the clear too. Glad to hear Peter is taking care of the issue.

#23 3 years ago

I have finished all of my cabinet work, added rad cals, paint, new legs, etc., so I felt like I was in the home stretch. At least I got some experience removing, adding, removing all of the wires again

4 months later
#24 3 years ago

Thanks for the RadCal tip off, did you install?

Did you make your own side rails from some form of hardwood? Neat!

#25 3 years ago

You’re welcome. The RadCals were very easy to install (yes, I installed myself). One of the side panels they originally shipped to me had a big gouge in the bottom - like the cutter went off track or something. I asked for a replacement and Mirco took his time but eventually delivered. They look very nice installed.

As for the side rails, I did make those myself out of pine. Pine isn’t a super hard material but the ball really doesn’t hit it much in this game. I coated the rails with several coats of black enamel spray and poly spray and they should hold up very well for the life of this game.

I need to take some pics of the finished cab. It looks really good all lit up and shiny

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 27.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-restoration-i-have-no-idea-what-i-m-doing-?hl=barr993 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.