(Topic ID: 114943)

BOP restomod & repo PF feedback (finished with lots of pics)

By 85vett

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 201 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Buthamburg
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.jpg
IMG_6197.jpg
Williams_Serialnumber_Sticker_The_Machine_Bride_of_Pinbot_661864.png
IMG_6190.jpg
IMG_6185.jpg
IMG_6184.jpg
IMG_6182.jpg
IMG_6183.jpg
IMG_6180.jpg
IMG_6177.jpg
IMG_6178.jpg
IMG_6176.jpg
IMG_6175.jpg
IMG_6174.jpg
IMG_6173.jpg
IMG_6172.jpg
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 9 years ago

Sick, man.

#52 9 years ago

That my friend is a thing of beauty.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Get it in the game, quick!
--Scott

Yeah, my goal was to get it ready and take it to TPF. I see DP is going to be there this year. Being my first restoration/PF swap I think that timeline is not doable since I have to work all week too. A week early I could probably have done it though. Kind of bummed about that but I'm forcing myself to take it slow and get it right vs rushing things and messing something up. Dying to play 2.0 though.

#55 9 years ago

no kidding! Awesome buy!

I'd wait too... it could take you 30+ hours to get that PF put back together... Im guessing there are no pilot holes or dimples on the underside?

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Im guessing there are no pilot holes or dimples on the underside?

For the money they want for that thing there had better be.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

no kidding! Awesome buy!
I'd wait too... it could take you 30+ hours to get that PF put back together... Im guessing there are no pilot holes or dimples on the underside?

Fully dimpled and drilled on both sides

I've got 3 good coats are carnauba wax on it now and am in the process of drilling all the dimples/holes on the top side to make sure that when I'm installing the screws it doesn't split the clear.

Front and back showing the dimples/drillings.

IMG_6098.jpgIMG_6098.jpg
IMG_6099.jpgIMG_6099.jpg

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Fully dimpled and drilled on both sides
I've got 3 good coats are carnauba wax on it now and am in the process of drilling all the dimples/holes on the top side to make sure that when I'm installing the screws it doesn't split the clear.
Front and back showing the dimples/drillings.
IMG_6098.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_6099.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Nice, does it look like they all match up with your original pf? Also, are ya gonna secure the T-nuts with screws?

#59 9 years ago

That's going to be a killer bride when your done! Love the black side art and it really makes the purple pop.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice, does it look like they all match up with your original pf? Also, are ya gonna secure the T-nuts with screws?

So far everything is fitting like a glove. The only thing not lining up perfect so far is the two mini screws that connect to the left ball guide. That is probably and issue with my ball guide though as I hand polished them all and I'm sure I just tweaked it a tad.

T-nuts I was planning on doing with a screw. May use a rubber hammer depending on how that goes.

I'm slow going at this but I'll keep this thread up to date with pic of progress as well as fitment issues (if any arise). So far I have all the ball guides in. Tested them all with a ball and they all flow smooth still. All holes lined up perfectly.

IMG_6100.jpgIMG_6100.jpg

#61 9 years ago

That's one slick bride!

#62 9 years ago

Looks really good, can't wait to start my own!

#63 9 years ago

I meant the T nuts on the underside of the pf. Did you put them in BEFORE you started assembling the top side?

#64 9 years ago

Only ones I put in were the 4 that go under the black side rails. I hammered those in using a socket to help guide them in. That was nerve racking thus why I may change to the screw tech for the others.

#65 9 years ago

You still have to hammer them in, the screws are just there to ensure that they will never spin not to replace them having to be hammered in.

#66 9 years ago

I wound up hammering them in. Short 2 of them though from my order so I'm hoping home depot has them in stock. Otherwise it will be the first item on my pinball life order of parts I missed. I don't want to use the old ones as the prongs are twisted and they aren't shiny.

I did find my first fitment issue. I'm not sure if the right rail is to high or the post is to low but it was an easy fix either way. Just needed to make some room for the rubber. Not super happy with the cutout I made as I made it bigger than I wanted but overall it came out good. Just used a sander bit on my dremel.

IMG_6103.jpgIMG_6103.jpg

IMG_6104.jpgIMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6105.jpgIMG_6105.jpg

#67 9 years ago

And yes, I put mylar rings around the pops (you can see them in the first pic). Probably overkill in a HUO environment but while I had it apart I figured this was the best time to put some protection in there. Thinking of putting mylar at the ball drop spots too but am not fully decided on that just yet.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm hoping home depot has them in stock.

Any good hardware store should have them, I picked some up at Ace Hardware.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I did find my first fitment issue. I'm not sure if the right rail is to high or the post is to low but it was an easy fix either way. Just needed to make some room for the rubber. Not super happy with the cutout I made as I made it bigger than I wanted but overall it came out good. Just used a sander bit on my dremel.

That was an easy fix.

#70 9 years ago

Found some and installed them. All are installed now.

*** Missing hole located ***

This hole point out in red was missing. I screwed up and took a pic of it missing but forgot to put the memory card back in the camera... Was an easy fix but requires drilling a new hole. I'll let Peter know so that he can add it on future PF's.

How I did this was I installed the front peg loosely. I then moved the other peg to where it should have been and tapped lightly on it with a hammer. This marked the PF where I needed to drill. Very small pilot hole was drilled and alignment was checked. All was good so I drilled it out with the right sized bit (not sure what size as my bits aren't marked).

One could argue that metal guide is not needed but since it's in the pops I figured it was there to help keep the ball from getting shot under the rubbers. Factory so I installed it.

IMG_6106.jpgIMG_6106.jpg

Edit *** Found a pic that shows the missing hole.***

IMG_6098.jpgIMG_6098.jpg

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Found some and installed them. All are installed now.
*** Missing hole located ***
This hole point out in red was missing. I screwed up and took a pic of it missing but forgot to put the memory card back in the camera... Was an easy fix but requires drilling a new hole. I'll let Peter know so that he can add it on future PF's.
How I did this was I installed the front peg loosely. I then moved the other peg to where it should have been and tapped lightly on it with a hammer. This marked the PF where I needed to drill. Very small pilot hole was drilled and alignment was checked. All was good so I drilled it out with the right sized bit (not sure what size as my bits aren't marked).
One could argue that metal guide is not needed but since it's in the pops I figured it was there to help keep the ball from getting shot under the rubbers. Factory so I installed it.
IMG_6106.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
Edit *** Found a pic that shows the missing hole.***
IMG_6098.jpg

Why does that one star post hang over the pf? And I think you inserted the wire to deeply, my original actually sticks up twice as far as yours so it's above the rubber ring. If you get a strong pop hit it might launch the ball up into the bottom of the plastic on top. Also to me it looks like you have the wrong style of star posts on there. Shouldn't they be the one rubber post not the fatter 2 rubber post. The single rubber star posts are what's on my game. You'll never get the rubbers on the star post that's next to the metal post on the right. Just guessing here.

#72 9 years ago

thanks for posting this ! now ill know what to look for. let me ask... going to purchase a tumbler for when i get my playfield. anything special i should know ? where should i get one from ?

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

thanks for posting this ! now ill know what to look for. let me ask... going to purchase a tumbler for when i get my playfield. anything special i should know ? where should i get one from ?

harbor freight

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I got mine from academy. I've heard mixed reviews about the HF ones but at the price they go for you can get 2 for just about the same price as other ones. I've been happy with the one I got and it was $75. If I did it all over again I would have bit the bullet and bought a bigger one though. My tumbler was going all day everyday for nearly 2 months cleaning parts as I had to do small batches and I let it go for 2-3 days a batch depending on how nasty the parts were.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Why does that one star post hang over the pf?

I thought the same thing at first but then looked at my factory one and it does the same thing. Looks to be correct.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

And I think you inserted the wire to deeply, my original actually sticks up twice as far as yours so it's above the rubber ring. If you get a strong pop hit it might launch the ball up into the bottom of the plastic on top.

It's actually not down as far as that pic shows. The top is in line with the first rubber and the bottom is flush with the back of the PF. It's the same height as it was factory for me.

IMG_6110.jpgIMG_6110.jpg

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Also to me it looks like you have the wrong style of star posts on there. Shouldn't they be the one rubber post not the fatter 2 rubber post. The single rubber star posts are what's on my game. You'll never get the rubbers on the star post that's next to the metal post on the right.

The rubber went on just fine but I had to remove the tall post first then re-install the post. I put these on as that is what my game had on it. I'm curious which is correct though since these games are so old I'm sure we've got a mixture of factory and route tech made adjustments. Here is a resource pic showing mine had double rubbers there as well as the 3 post in the back. I almost think it should have the doubles on the right side too...

IMG_5392.jpgIMG_5392.jpg

A little progress made today. A buddy of mine just loaned me his rotiseree which I think will make things much easier than doing it on the floor in my office. I'm headed to TPF this weekend so I wont get much more done till after the weekend (unless my wife does it for me ). I'll keep updating as things progress. Also, Peter contacted me and is looking into that missing hole already. Sounds like that will be resolved for the next group

**** Install TIP - A lot of the post in this game are screw into the wood type of post. I HIGHLY recommend oversizing the hole at the top for a couple layers of the wood. This not only helps with keeping the wood from bulging and the clear from potentially cracking but also helps make sure they go in straight. I learned this after the first couple ones after I had one try to go in at an angle.

IMG_6107.jpgIMG_6107.jpg

#75 9 years ago

Where did you get your playfield?
I think I want one

#76 9 years ago

Does anyone know what post is supposed to go here? My game had a plastic post there (First pic) while the one on HEP's image gallery is a small metal post like what you see in front of the inlanes. I'm leaning towards using the same post HEP did as he know's his stuff but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure what was supposed to be there.

My game from my resource pics
IMG_5375.jpgIMG_5375.jpg

From the HEP site. I've been using his pics as much as possible to correct previous "adjustments" made to the game by the route owner that owned this before me.
IMG_5392 copy.jpgIMG_5392 copy.jpg

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Where did you get your playfield?
I think I want one

I got my directly from Peter with B&T Automaten in Germany. He is the company that is making them. There is a long wait list for them with him. PPS is getting shipments in as well. You can contact either of them to get on a wait list. Sounds like they will make enough to fill demand so you should be OK with either avenue.

Link to PPS pre-order page. No money required. They are just collecting interest. http://www.planetarypinball.com/product/bride-of-pinbot-playfield/

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I got my directly from Peter with B&T Automaten in Germany. He is the company that is making them. There is a long wait list for them with him. PPS is getting shipments in as well. You can contact either of them to get on a wait list. Sounds like they will make enough to fill demand so you should be OK with either avenue.

Sweet!
Thank you!

How long was your wait?

...Mine is like the 2nd pic

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Sweet!
Thank you!
How long was your wait?
...Mine is like the 2nd pic

About 3 years now but that was because they weren't being made till now. I'll let Peter advise if he see's this and wants to but I believe the next (larger batch) is due this summer (maybe sooner).

#80 9 years ago

I have a xenon NOS playfield, I'd really like to trade for one... may have to sell the xenon and buy the bop

#81 9 years ago

vett, looks like yours is right and mine is wrong.

Quoted from 85vett:

Does anyone know what post is supposed to go here? My game had a plastic post there (First pic) while the one on HEP's image gallery is a small metal post like what you see in front of the inlanes. I'm leaning towards using the same post HEP did as he know's his stuff but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure what was supposed to be there.
My game from my resource pics
IMG_5375.jpg
From the HEP site. I've been using his pics as much as possible to correct previous "adjustments" made to the game by the route owner that owned this before me.
IMG_5392 copy.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Mine has a blur star post there, probably wrong.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Mine has a blur star post there, probably wrong.

3 BOP's and 3 separate post there. Unless someone can confirm what is correct I'll go with the mini post as I think it's safe to bet on HEP getting it right.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

3 BOP's and 3 separate post there. Unless someone can confirm what is correct I'll go with the mini post as I think it's safe to bet on HEP getting it right.

I just checked mine -- it is a metal post like HEP.

#84 9 years ago

*** fitment call out. This one is not on Peter. This one is with the Pinbits plastic protectors. I had to trim a bit off the back side of the one by the spinner as it was coming in contact with it periodically during test spins. Super easy to do with a Dremel and a sanding bit but wanted to call it out.
IMG_6111.jpgIMG_6111.jpg

Got the pop bumpers installed. This was the part I was the most nervous about and it went really smoothly. Everything fit perfectly as usual.

IMG_6112.jpgIMG_6112.jpg

Got the skill shot piece put back in as well as the ramp. Both are freshly back from Mike Chestnut. He fixed the metal form and chromed it and the sides of the skill shot box. Yes, I've gone crazy and had it chromed. Looks pretty cool. Not sure how much will be seen but I figured the chrome would help brighten things up a bit too.

2.jpg2.jpg

#85 9 years ago

Double post

#86 9 years ago

You said "skill shot box"?
I'm confused, maybe I'm missing something, could you please clarify?

One more bop question ...
After the skill shot is shot, the ball lands on wood, where several rollover switches are, my playfield there has taken a mad beating over the years, is there any protection for new playfields?

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Got the pop bumpers installed. This was the part I was the most nervous about and it went really smoothly. Everything fit perfectly as usual.

Are you gonna put pop cap led rings in? This is what it looks like.

IMGA0826.JPGIMGA0826.JPG IMGA0827.JPGIMGA0827.JPG IMGA0828.JPGIMGA0828.JPG
#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

After the skill shot is shot, the ball lands on wood, where several rollover switches are, my playfield there has taken a mad beating over the years, is there any protection for new playfields?

The only thing I can think of is some thick mylar and or a Cliffy for every switch slot.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

You said "skill shot box"?
I'm confused, maybe I'm missing something, could you please clarify?

It's the two big metal brackets that hold the black rubber rings that the ball falls through for a skill shot.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Are you gonna put pop cap led rings in? This is what it looks like.

I'm not sure just yet. I'm hoping someone at TPF has some installed so I can see them in person. I've been leaning that way though.

Looks like I'm done till after TPF now. I got all the coils installed as well as several other items on the top of the PF. So far I haven't run into any more fitment issues or missing items. I thought I found one here but I checked my old PF and it doesn't have a hole their either.

IMG_6118.jpgIMG_6118.jpg

Here are some pics of progress so far. Going much faster since my friend lent me his rotisserie.

IMG_6120.jpgIMG_6120.jpg
IMG_6119.jpgIMG_6119.jpg
IMG_6121.jpgIMG_6121.jpg

#90 9 years ago

Oh man that's beautiful, your doing a great job. You have any used plastics you want to sell? I need a few.

#91 9 years ago

I can check to see how my old ones look for the parts you need. Which ones do you need? I recall that my chest plastics were both broken but don't recall the others.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Looks like I'm done till after TPF now. I got all the coils installed as well as several other items on the top of the PF. So far I haven't run into any more fitment issues or missing items. I thought I found one here but I checked my old PF and it doesn't have a hole their either.

That end hole is not used on the slingshot mounting bracket. You can see from wear mark that a screw in the last hole will definitely interfere with the plunger as it comes to rest against the bracket. Looking really nice.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I can check to see how my old ones look for the parts you need. Which ones do you need? I recall that my chest plastics were both broken but don't recall the others.

These are the three I need. The triangle piece not the wireform cover. The other 2 you can see are broken. Thanks.

IMGA0840.JPGIMGA0840.JPG IMGA0841.JPGIMGA0841.JPG IMGA0842.JPGIMGA0842.JPG
#94 9 years ago

Yeah, I have those. $20 shipped sound alright? The chest plastic is a home made vedo since mine was broken. I'll get you pics. Just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address.

If anyone else needs any plastics let me know. The only one that I recall being broken was the chest plastic.

Back from TPF and started back up on the install. I just finished up the GI and insert light harness. Found 3 holes that were not correct. Easy fix by just putting the bulb in the hole and screw in the screw. All three are GI sockets. Everything else fit perfectly.

Left side is the repo and the right is my original PF. All 3 holes are to far to the left and to low as is the socket can't reach them.

IMG_6122.jpgIMG_6122.jpg

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Yeah, I have those. $20 shipped sound alright? The chest plastic is a home made vedo since mine was broken. I'll get you pics. Just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address.

Just now sent. Thanks

#96 9 years ago

No new fitment issue to report. Things have been slow moving but progressing well so far. I'm overly anal about clutter so that is the hardest part for me with all the wires going back in. Right now I've installed the GI, Lamp and coil harnesses. I just started the switch harness now (it hasn't been re-routed and cleaned up yet).

IMG_6129.jpgIMG_6129.jpg

#98 9 years ago

Lost photos, can any body help with the location of these 3 metals.

Thanks in advance

IMG_1011.JPGIMG_1011.JPG
#99 9 years ago

The one on the left looks to be the one for the mini playfield.

The middle one actually looks like a ramp cliffy that goes on the left ramp.

I don't recognize the guide on the right though.

#100 9 years ago

the right looks like part of the left loop. I dont think the left is from the mini PF, it has way to much wear on it. might be the one that leads to the jackpot scoop.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.99
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.95
$ 27.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-restomod/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.