Yep, that's right. Another BOP restoration project I'm labeling this as a restomod since I'm going with some non-factory items as part of the build. This machine will be getting the 2.0 kit which is the biggest "mod". I'm also going with some black decals and will be custom painting the legs and rails.
I bought this machine almost 4 years ago now. It was a fairly decent example but the bubbling mylar and major cabinet issues (chunks taken out here and there, major fade, minor water damage, etc) just started to eat away at me. After the 2.0 kit was announced I decided I would spend way to much money on a BOP and do the best restoration I could on it. I was going to send it off to be done but figured this would be a great way to learn not to mention the fact that I think I have just as much fun working on machines as playing them. This is my first restoration so I'm taking my time and trying to do things right which means I wind up redoing a lot of things along the way. Being a newbee at this I'm open to ideas, suggestions and feedback on things that I may have done wrong that needs to be addressed.
I'll keep pics coming of progress as I go along. I'm pretty slow at this so there is no telling how long it will take to complete, even at this point.
Some progress I've made so far.
Here is what the head started out as. You can see it was beat pretty good. You can't really see some of the chunks missing from the wood, but trust me, they were there.
After about 2 weeks of sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding painting, you get the point now, I finally was able to get everything smoothed out and looking cleaner. Here are some pics of the cab head with the new decals installed and put back together with the cleaned up boards and fully restored light panel.
Next focus was on the coils. Everyone's seen dirty ones but here is a pick of what one looked like when taken off the game. They all looked liked this or worse.
I went out and bought a tumbler and put every nut and bolt as well as all the brackets in it for at least 3 days to clean things up. I washed all parts and replaced all items that didn't clean up nicely or looked to have been worn. I also made some new decal wrappers for them to freshen things up.
Next was the lockdown bar. This thing was a mess as the lockdown bar seal was basically non existent and it appears more than one drink was spilled on this game at some point which caused it to rust out pretty bad, not to mention the whole coin door assembly. I think this game spent some hard time in a bar somewhere.
New - after what felt like 3 days of sanding, cleaning and buffing. I know I could have just bought a new one but I want to restore as much as possible vs just buying replacement parts.
Next was the coin door. As I mentioned above it was rusty and nasty. I can't locate my resource pics for it but here is what it looks like now. Big note is that I had to regrain the whole thing as the previous owner sanded it down smooth at some point and painted it with some flat black paint. I know the paint color I picked is not factory but it falls in my restomod theme as I felt a more glossy look would look nice with the black decals.
Next focus was on the apron. It was scratched up pretty bad and the decals were messed up. I stripped it down to bare metal and repainted it and had Mike Chestnut rechrome the rail. New decals installed now as well.
Speaking of Mike. He also restored my wire ramps and chromed them. I took a risk, it's a restomod after all, and also had him chrome my skill shot brackets. I'm hoping it will help brighten things up a bit with the added reflections.
Next on the list was the lane guides. I went a different route here. I didn't regrain them nor did I do a mirror polish. What I did was polish them but kept some of the light grain in them. They have a mirror look but still show some grain. I wanted a bit of a grain look so scratches and bumps wouldn't stand out like a soar thumb but I also wanted some polish to brighten things up.
Next to be redone was the plastic ramps. I bought a new set of all the ramps (and helmet). I took all the old parts off the old ramps and put them in the tumbler for several days to polish them up. Reassembled them taking special care to try and make things look clean. These new ramps are thicker than the factory ones so some slight tweaking of things was needed to get things to fit just right and the switches to register properly.
At this point I'm now turning my focus to the cab. I'm still waiting for my 2.0 kit and the repo PF's to be completed so I figured this was the next best thing to focus on. I've got about 4 days of work in on it now with sanding off the decals. I'm now trying to get the base nice and clean and then I'll turn to filling and sanding to get things smooth. This will probably take me several weeks to get cleaned up and ready for decals.
Got me a ton of brackets and cleaned boards waiting to go back together once I get my PF.
Next was restoring the head mech. All new had plates and all parts tumbled and cleaned. I'm pretty happy with how this came out.
Thanks for looking!