(Topic ID: 114943)

BOP restomod & repo PF feedback (finished with lots of pics)

By 85vett

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 201 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Buthamburg
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.jpg
IMG_6197.jpg
Williams_Serialnumber_Sticker_The_Machine_Bride_of_Pinbot_661864.png
IMG_6190.jpg
IMG_6185.jpg
IMG_6184.jpg
IMG_6182.jpg
IMG_6183.jpg
IMG_6180.jpg
IMG_6177.jpg
IMG_6178.jpg
IMG_6176.jpg
IMG_6175.jpg
IMG_6174.jpg
IMG_6173.jpg
IMG_6172.jpg

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Yep, that's right. Another BOP restoration project I'm labeling this as a restomod since I'm going with some non-factory items as part of the build. This machine will be getting the 2.0 kit which is the biggest "mod". I'm also going with some black decals and will be custom painting the legs and rails.

I bought this machine almost 4 years ago now. It was a fairly decent example but the bubbling mylar and major cabinet issues (chunks taken out here and there, major fade, minor water damage, etc) just started to eat away at me. After the 2.0 kit was announced I decided I would spend way to much money on a BOP and do the best restoration I could on it. I was going to send it off to be done but figured this would be a great way to learn not to mention the fact that I think I have just as much fun working on machines as playing them. This is my first restoration so I'm taking my time and trying to do things right which means I wind up redoing a lot of things along the way. Being a newbee at this I'm open to ideas, suggestions and feedback on things that I may have done wrong that needs to be addressed.

I'll keep pics coming of progress as I go along. I'm pretty slow at this so there is no telling how long it will take to complete, even at this point.

Some progress I've made so far.

Here is what the head started out as. You can see it was beat pretty good. You can't really see some of the chunks missing from the wood, but trust me, they were there.
Head old.jpg

After about 2 weeks of sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding painting, you get the point now, I finally was able to get everything smoothed out and looking cleaner. Here are some pics of the cab head with the new decals installed and put back together with the cleaned up boards and fully restored light panel.
head 1 new.jpg
head 2 new.jpg
head 3 new.jpg

Next focus was on the coils. Everyone's seen dirty ones but here is a pick of what one looked like when taken off the game. They all looked liked this or worse.
coil 1 old-959.jpg

I went out and bought a tumbler and put every nut and bolt as well as all the brackets in it for at least 3 days to clean things up. I washed all parts and replaced all items that didn't clean up nicely or looked to have been worn. I also made some new decal wrappers for them to freshen things up.

coils new.jpg

Next was the lockdown bar. This thing was a mess as the lockdown bar seal was basically non existent and it appears more than one drink was spilled on this game at some point which caused it to rust out pretty bad, not to mention the whole coin door assembly. I think this game spent some hard time in a bar somewhere.

Before -
lock bar 1 old.jpg

New - after what felt like 3 days of sanding, cleaning and buffing. I know I could have just bought a new one but I want to restore as much as possible vs just buying replacement parts.
lock bar new.jpg

Next was the coin door. As I mentioned above it was rusty and nasty. I can't locate my resource pics for it but here is what it looks like now. Big note is that I had to regrain the whole thing as the previous owner sanded it down smooth at some point and painted it with some flat black paint. I know the paint color I picked is not factory but it falls in my restomod theme as I felt a more glossy look would look nice with the black decals.
coin door 1 new.jpg
coin door 2 new.jpg

Next focus was on the apron. It was scratched up pretty bad and the decals were messed up. I stripped it down to bare metal and repainted it and had Mike Chestnut rechrome the rail. New decals installed now as well.

apron new.jpg

Speaking of Mike. He also restored my wire ramps and chromed them. I took a risk, it's a restomod after all, and also had him chrome my skill shot brackets. I'm hoping it will help brighten things up a bit with the added reflections.

ramps new.jpg

Next on the list was the lane guides. I went a different route here. I didn't regrain them nor did I do a mirror polish. What I did was polish them but kept some of the light grain in them. They have a mirror look but still show some grain. I wanted a bit of a grain look so scratches and bumps wouldn't stand out like a soar thumb but I also wanted some polish to brighten things up.
rails new.jpg

Next to be redone was the plastic ramps. I bought a new set of all the ramps (and helmet). I took all the old parts off the old ramps and put them in the tumbler for several days to polish them up. Reassembled them taking special care to try and make things look clean. These new ramps are thicker than the factory ones so some slight tweaking of things was needed to get things to fit just right and the switches to register properly.

ramps new 2.jpg

At this point I'm now turning my focus to the cab. I'm still waiting for my 2.0 kit and the repo PF's to be completed so I figured this was the next best thing to focus on. I've got about 4 days of work in on it now with sanding off the decals. I'm now trying to get the base nice and clean and then I'll turn to filling and sanding to get things smooth. This will probably take me several weeks to get cleaned up and ready for decals.

cab old 2.jpg
cab old 3.jpg

Got me a ton of brackets and cleaned boards waiting to go back together once I get my PF.
boards 1.jpg
boards 2.jpg
parts 1.jpg

Next was restoring the head mech. All new had plates and all parts tumbled and cleaned. I'm pretty happy with how this came out.
head box.jpg

head mech new.jpg

Thanks for looking!

#2 6 years ago

Amazing. I wish I was that brave. It gives me a panic attack just looking at all those disassembled parts.

#3 6 years ago

I'll be honest and say it scares the heck out of me too. I've got a couple hundred reference picks but I'm sure I've missed a few things. Just hoping I get it back together and that it works when I do.

#4 6 years ago

very nice !... where did you get the black decals ? i see you are using the cpr faces... what did you use to attach the factory bracket for the mouth and eyes ?

#5 6 years ago

I'm using some 3M double sided tape for those brackets. It's the same stuff that is used on cars for ground effects kits. I'm hoping it will hold. I was going to glue them on but was afraid it would mess of the silk screenings.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm using some 3M double sided tape for those brackets. It's the same stuff that is used on cars for ground effects kits. I'm hoping it will hold. I was going to glue them on but was afraid it would mess of the silk screenings.

im using the same. i first tried liquid nails but this didnt hold up. dont know why CPR didnt mount these with the same cement as they did with the ball guides.

#7 6 years ago

Where did you get the Black side art for the back box instead of the light purple?

#8 6 years ago

what is your plan for the skill shot rollers ? i havent seen replacements as mine are slightly flaking leaving particals on the playfield. like you... waiting for a new playfield and dont want to see this continue.

#9 6 years ago

You need to bring this to TPF 2016 when it's all done.

#10 6 years ago

Wish I had the time, place, money to do all that to mine. Great job, I'll be following.

#11 6 years ago

i like it except for the black cab. The 2.0 panel is purple so it won't look right ad the purple cab makes BoP standout from all the system 11s before it. Yes I know its WPC, but its and early one and plays like a sys11

#12 6 years ago

looks good nice and clean keep up the good work.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Where did you get the Black side art for the back box instead of the light purple?

Friend helped me with them and printed them out. You can't buy them at a retailer as they aren't licensed. Got to be homemade.

Quoted from Frax:

You need to bring this to TPF 2016 when it's all done.

Was actually hoping to take it this year but since it's gone dead on the PF's again it's not looking promising

Quoted from calvin12:

i like it except for the black cab. The 2.0 panel is purple so it won't look right ad the purple cab makes BoP standout from all the system 11s before it. Yes I know its WPC, but its and early one and plays like a sys11

Never liked the Purple. I'm thinking it will look just fine as the stock cab had a black boarder around the head. Only thing purple is the sides and that panel should be matching the backglass. If it looks bad (and my wife will tell me as she's the fashion police) I'll just make my own backpanel. Easy enough to change out.

Quoted from mollyspub:

what is your plan for the skill shot rollers ? i havent seen replacements as mine are slightly flaking leaving particals on the playfield. like you... waiting for a new playfield and dont want to see this continue.

No replacements are available that I could find too. Mine are in pretty good shape. I wound up cleaning them up with some leather/rubber conditioner after cleaning them with some light soap and water. If yours are bad you may want to look into what I was planning on doing if mind didn't clean up well. I was going to buy 5 of these and cut them to size using a round cutting bit. They are just tad to skinny being at 1 inch thick (stock is 1 and 1/8th of an inch) but I would just going to use two nylon washers to center it to make up the size difference.
https://11main.com/jewelrysupplycom/rubber-block/p/2690986?ref=DF4rcI_udU6GfakKSQwtHg&kpid=2690986&cid=cse_gg_crafts-hobbies-%26-toys__[pla]-%28cht%29_54280988915&utm_source=gg&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=_&utm_content=11_main&utm_campaign=[pla]-%28cht%29&ref=DF4rcI_udU6GfakKSQwtHg&kpid=2690986

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-1-2-in-Bi-Metal-Hole-Saw-49-56-9665/202327735?N=5yc1vZc268Z1z0skkkZ1z0sznq

Wouldn't be perfect but could make for a good replacement.

#14 6 years ago

Looking good Brad... keep up the good work so I can play it soon!

BSL

#15 6 years ago

Got some work on the cab done finally. Been slow moving due to the weather but it looks like it will be nice for the next week so I'm hoping to get the cab smooth and, at least, primed before the next front arrives. This is my second pass at smoothing it out and it's coming out pretty good so far. Cleaned up the big parts first, then sanded it down and I'm hoping that this pass will get all the minor dings and waves cleared up.

Question for the pros. Do you clear the part of the cab that is bare wood (bottom piece) or do you leave it natural?

cab.jpg

1 week later
#16 6 years ago

Some more progress made the last couple of days.

Got paint on the cab. Letting it dry and will wet sand to smooth things out. Waiting to unmask the bottom until I can see what it will look like to make sure it doesn't need a couple more coats. I did decide to keep the natural wood grain on the inside of the cab. Hopefully that comes out looking good.

cab.jpg

Also finished painting and clearing my rails and lockbar. I wanted to try to see what a candy purple would look with the black decals. Figured worst case if I don't like it I can just redo them easy enough in a different color. The color I went with is a metallic candy purple. I'm liking it so far. Still needs to dry and get a wet sanding and buffing to make it shine.

rail 1.jpg
rail 2.jpg
rail 3.jpg

#18 6 years ago

Watching with great anticipation, great work so far!

#19 6 years ago

Looking great Brad. Can't wait to break it in with you!

#20 6 years ago

Beautiful job.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Brentslane:

Looking great Brad. Can't wait to break it in with you!

You know it!

More progress made the last couple of days which gets me to the point where I am close to being able to start putting the cab back together.

Got a couple more coats of paint on the cab and it's now sitting while it dries. Unmasked the bottom and cleaned up the lines. Only part I couldn't get cleaned up was the discoloration under the transformer. Since it will be under the transformer I decided to leave good enough alone and move on. I'll wet sand and buff the cab before applying decals which will make the color uniform. This cab was beat pretty bad and had some water damage. I have a fond respect for those that do this for a living as it was hard work to fix.

cab 1.jpg
cab 2 2.jpg

I got the legs and hinges painted as well in the candy purple. All hardware is now ready to go back on. I even painted the bolts for the side rails and hinges.

Hardware.jpg

I was lucky enough to find a catch can for this game after 2 years of searching. I couldn't stand the look of it though as it looked like it was metal particle board. No clue what kind of metal it's made out of but it was ugly. Because of this I decided to paint it a metallic silver. Not for the purist but heck, it's a restomod for a reason.

lower box.jpg

What is this peaking out from under the pool table? Could that be 2.0?

BOP2.jpg

All my parts are now 100% restored and ready for install once I get a PF. My wife is being a really good sport letting me lay everything out. It's helping me try to stay organized since I don't have a workshop or space large enough to work on this outside of the gameroom.

waiting.jpg

#22 6 years ago

holy crap that purple looks hot

#23 6 years ago

When ya see the parts in one place like on your pool table it really hits home how many parts there are in a game. And that's not ALL the parts either.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

When ya see the parts in one place like on your pool table it really hits home how many parts there are in a game. And that's not ALL the parts either.

No joke. Seems like I've got parts falling out of my ears.

Got some more work done tonight. Got the ground braid, lock bar receiver, transformer, power outlet and flipper switches installed. If you see something I'm doing wrong call it out. This is my first restoration so I'm open to suggestions/feedback to get it right. The ground braid has me nervous. I matched it the best I could to the pics I took.

cab 3.jpg
cab 4.jpg

#25 6 years ago

Congratulations on the work you are doing! It seems like you do really like what you do.

I'm hoping that my next machine will be a BoP, so it's good to see a restoration project of it.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

No joke. Seems like I've got parts falling out of my ears.
Got some more work done tonight. Got the ground braid, lock bar receiver, transformer, power outlet and flipper switches installed. If you see something I'm doing wrong call it out. This is my first restoration so I'm open to suggestions/feedback to get it right. The ground braid has me nervous. I matched it the best I could to the pics I took.

cab 3.jpg 74 KB

cab 4.jpg 121 KB

Looks great to me. I just wish I could do that to my Bride. To many irons in the fire right now.

#27 6 years ago

Sneak peak of what the decals and purple armor looks like. I'm liking it so far. I need to get some clear flipper buttons though as the purple ones look bad against the painted rails.

You can see my screw up in these. I got the side decals about an inch to high. Fortunately it's uniform on both sides but as I installed them her foot just barely touches the rails where there should be some solid yellow there too. I kind of like it so I'm not going to consider ripping the decals off and buying new ones to try again.

cab 5.jpg
cab 6.jpg
cab 7.jpg

3 weeks later
#28 6 years ago

Been a while since I updated this thread. Still waiting for the playfield so progress is stopped but I did get everything else back together and all wires ran. Put the glass back on for safe storage and to help keep the cab clean while I wait. BOP 2.0 kit has been installed as well. Just had to leave one note on the blue tape to check for a connector once the PF goes in.

IMG_6017.jpg
IMG_6018.jpg
IMG_6019.jpg

#29 6 years ago

Wow. Stunning work! Way to go!

#30 6 years ago

Holy mackerel is that one gorgeous bride!

#31 6 years ago

I'll bet your just itchin to fire up that sound amp. Beautiful work. And while we're waiting why don't you take us on a tour of the Rat Fink next to the bride.

#32 6 years ago

been following this thread and i am very impressed with the final outcome great work!Your bride looks beautiful! enjoy!

#33 6 years ago

Happy that you like it, happier that is not in my house.

#34 6 years ago

This is going to be one bad ass BOP!! Thanks for sharing the pics and info along the way.

#35 6 years ago

Looks very-very nice.

This is the second BOP I have seen here with black decals. Did you commission these black decals on your own or did you get a set from the other member with a black BOP? I only ask because I would definitely buy a set if they ever became available.

#36 6 years ago

This is awesome!

If I may ask, and OT, what is the game to the left of BOP?

Chris

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Happy that you like it, happier that is not in my house.

I can respect that as I know you despise the black decals. I hated the purple ones so I had to make the change. I'm very happy with the outcome.

Quoted from BigDan:

Looks very-very nice.
This is the second BOP I have seen here with black decals. Did you commission these black decals on your own or did you get a set from the other member with a black BOP? I only ask because I would definitely buy a set if they ever became available.

They aren't licensed so they can't be bought retail anymore as far as I'm aware.

Forgot to add this pic before. Here is one looking towards the coin door. Hard to believe this thing was a rusty mess before. Lots of elbow grease for sure as I reconditioned everything that I could vs buying everything new. Figured it would be nice to save some parts from the trash can and to keep as many original parts in the game as I could.
IMG_6028.jpg

For comparison. This is what the lock bar looked like before. I swear someone dropped a lot of drinks down this game.

IMG_5641.jpg

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'll bet your just itchin to fire up that sound amp. Beautiful work. And while we're waiting why don't you take us on a tour of the Rat Fink next to the bride.

You have no idea. It's killing me letting it sit here waiting for a PF. I half thought about putting the old one back in just to play it but figured patience is better than potentially messing something up in the process.

As for the virtual cab. The graphics is my concept. I rough sketched out some ideas and had a graphic artist make it look like it belonged. My favorite part is the wrap around flags but they were also the part that I regretted the most when it came time to install the graphics. They had to be perfect to line up right.

Here is a video I made talking about what is in the game -

I went fairly high end on the cab but here are the details:

Cab:
- 100% hand built to fit the TV. I used a Williams cab's dimensions to get the basic shape and idea and then stretched a few things to make it wide enough for the TV's without having to notch out anything or cut the TV's down.

PC:
- Intel I5 2500K (overclocked)
- 16 gigs ram
- 850w power supply
- 120 gig samsung SSD
- 2 GTX 460 SC
- Win 7 64

TV's:
- 46" Samsung LED UN46D6000SF - Playfield
- 32" Insignia LED - Back Glass
- 19" dynex - DMD

Force Feedback:
- 12V power supply
- 24V power supply
- 8 Siemens 24V contactors (Flippers, left, right, rear and back pop bumpers)
- Williams replay knocker
- 3 RGB's
- 2 strobes
- gear motor
- shaker motor
- 3 200mm fans

Sound system:
- 2 - 5.25 polk audio 2 way speakers in the head
- 1 - 10 inch polk audio sub in the cab
- 1 - 4 channel car amp that drives the sub and 5.25 speakers with it's built in crossover.

Some extra pics.

IMG_6020.jpg IMG_6021.jpg
#39 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I can respect that as I know you despise the black decals. I hated the purple ones so I had to make the change. I'm very happy with the outcome.

They aren't licensed so they can't be bought retail anymore as far as I'm aware.
Forgot to add this pic before. Here is one looking towards the coin door. Hard to believe this thing was a rusty mess before. Lots of elbow grease for sure as I reconditioned everything that I could vs buying everything new. Figured it would be nice to save some parts from the trash can and to keep as many original parts in the game as I could.

For comparison. This is what the lock bar looked like before. I swear someone dropped a lot of drinks down this game.

IMG_6028.jpg 138 KB

IMG_5641.jpg 62 KB

I don't despise them, I just think they look like crap and take away the unique "look at me" factor the game had.
Also the rails look well done but color isn't good. Maybe on another game, but then again probably not.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

You have no idea. It's killing me letting it sit here waiting for a PF. I half thought about putting the old one back in just to play it but figured patience is better than potentially messing something up in the process.
As for the virtual cab. The graphics is my concept. I rough sketched out some ideas and had a graphic artist make it look like it belonged. My favorite part is the wrap around flags but they were also the part that I regretted the most when it came time to install the graphics. They had to be perfect to line up right.
Here is a video I made talking about what is in the game -
» YouTube video
I went fairly high end on the cab but here are the details:
Cab:
- 100% hand built to fit the TV. I used a Williams cab's dimensions to get the basic shape and idea and then stretched a few things to make it wide enough for the TV's without having to notch out anything or cut the TV's down.
PC:
- Intel I5 2500K (overclocked)
- 16 gigs ram
- 850w power supply
- 120 gig samsung SSD
- 2 GTX 460 SC
- Win 7 64
TV's:
- 46" Samsung LED UN46D6000SF - Playfield
- 32" Insignia LED - Back Glass
- 19" dynex - DMD
Force Feedback:
- 12V power supply
- 24V power supply
- 8 Siemens 24V contactors (Flippers, left, right, rear and back pop bumpers)
- Williams replay knocker
- 3 RGB's
- 2 strobes
- gear motor
- shaker motor
- 3 200mm fans
Sound system:
- 2 - 5.25 polk audio 2 way speakers in the head
- 1 - 10 inch polk audio sub in the cab
- 1 - 4 channel car amp that drives the sub and 5.25 speakers with it's built in crossover.
Some extra pics.

IMG_6020.jpg 151 KB

IMG_6021.jpg 89 KB

Damn that's beautiful. The Rat Fink theme is perfect for a real pin and your cab and bb art nail it perfectly. I really do have to put your sound amp set-up in my STPro, I bought nice 2 way, 4 ohm bb speakers only to find that Stern put 8ohm in. With 2 way in the bb can I get away with just having and xternal sub?

#41 6 years ago

Honestly, I find the Stern BB speakers just fine now. I used to buy FF kits for every game I bought but now I just put an external sub on and call it a day. I'm always disappointed with the BB speakers after an upgrade and the sub seems to make things better. If I could find a good direct replacement BB speaker I'd try that but I'm done with kits.

I'd love to better answer that question but I'm not an audiophile so I don't know what could potentially hurt something or help.

#42 6 years ago

beautiful Bride!
I love the black decals!

Brian

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Gotta say I thought the purple metallics really were not going to work when I saw your first photos, but the overall look you have there is very unique, eye catching, and looks fantastic

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Honestly, I find the Stern BB speakers just fine now. I used to buy FF kits for every game I bought but now I just put an external sub on and call it a day. I'm always disappointed with the BB speakers after an upgrade and the sub seems to make things better. If I could find a good direct replacement BB speaker I'd try that but I'm done with kits.
I'd love to better answer that question but I'm not an audiophile so I don't know what could potentially hurt something or help.

I see but why did ya put the amp in, to drive the stock speakers better?

#45 6 years ago

I have that same amp, 2 of them actually.
One of them is in my virtual pin, I can't get the volume knob to actually turn the bass up or down with the speakers, very strange... If you have better luck, please tell me

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see but why did ya put the amp in, to drive the stock speakers better?

If you are talking about the BOP, that is factory for the 2.0 kit. I believe it is needed to run the sound since better since it's coming out of a computer now. Kind of for the same reason I have one in the cab.

If you are talking about the virtual cab. I put it in there as I didn't feel the computer would be able to drive the sound as much as I wanted. This also gave me the ability to separate the highs and lows for the speakers in question.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have that same amp, 2 of them actually.
One of them is in my virtual pin, I can't get the volume knob to actually turn the bass up or down with the speakers, very strange... If you have better luck, please tell me

The one in my virtual cab works perfectly. Can't speak about the one in my 2.0 yet though. I've heard in the 2.0 kit that the sound is awesome though.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

If you are talking about the BOP, that is factory for the 2.0 kit. I believe it is needed to run the sound since better since it's coming out of a computer now. Kind of for the same reason I have one in the cab.
If you are talking about the virtual cab. I put it in there as I didn't feel the computer would be able to drive the sound as much as I wanted. This also gave me the ability to separate the highs and lows for the speakers in question.

The one in my virtual cab works perfectly. Can't speak about the one in my 2.0 yet though. I've heard in the 2.0 kit that the sound is awesome though.

WOW that comes with the 2.0 kit, nice. Are the kit speakers 4 or 8ohm?

#48 6 years ago

Honestly not sure. It's basically a Flipper Fidelity kit with the amp being added. It comes with the kit if you order the upgraded sound package.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Honestly not sure. It's basically a Flipper Fidelity kit with the amp being added. It comes with the kit if you order the upgraded sound package.

Bummer.

3 weeks later
#50 6 years ago

New PF is in the house! Letting the clear cure another week or so and will start populating it after I get back from TPF.

The reflection in that last pic is of the trees, not orange peel

package.jpg
IMG_6072.jpg
IMG_6074.jpg
IMG_6077.jpg

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside