• I already own a BOP and WILL NOT buy 2.0 17 votes
    33%
  • I bought a BOP because of 2.0 14 votes
    27%
  • I already owned BOP but am restoring my BOP due to 2.0 6 votes
    12%

(51 votes)

#1 9 years ago

This is a supplemental thread to help answer a question posed here in this thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-pre-ordered-bop-20-kit.

Question has been asked on how many BOP 2.0 buyers bought a BOP just for the kit vs how many people already had the game. I also threw in an answer to see how many BOP owners aren't interested in the kit.

Me personally, I've had the game a while but the 2.0 kit is what pushed me over the edge to do a full out restoration on it.

#2 9 years ago

Owned 3 BoPs in the past. Restoring current one because I love the machine and that because of the hype that 2.0 brings (which may or may not be the reason for the new playfields). However, I don't necessarily think i'll spend the money on the 2.0 kit

#3 9 years ago

so its 7-2 for already had BoP as opposed to got one just for the kit.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Owned 3 BoPs in the past. Restoring current one because I love the machine and that because of the hype that 2.0 brings (which may or may not be the reason for the new playfields). However, I don't necessarily think i'll spend the money on the 2.0 kit

Nailed it - restoring a BoP because of the hype, but no intention of sinking 2K+ into a cheap pin. Buying a new pf, plastics, ramps, etc is enough $$

#5 9 years ago

I owned my BoP for a long time, have been on the hunt for a new PF for just about as long. Hope to get one of the new repro PF's for it( I have been in contact with Peter in Hamburg for going on 3 years now). Doubt I would spend the extra 2 grand to get the BoP 2.0. Just too pricey for me and not 100% I would like it. There are just too many other PB priorities for that kind of money.

#6 9 years ago

I overpaid on mine because I knew I wanted a decent one. I was friends with Python so I wanted another one of his games and BOP was one of his favorites. When I sold the bulk of my games off this year, I kept this (and 3 others) mostly anticipating the addition of the kit. I also couldn't sell it because I had Python (and later John Trudeau) sign the translite. I'm still looking forward to the kit. I personally think it's a real weak rule set and the kit will help it a lot.

#7 9 years ago

I got my BoP before I knew about 2.0

#8 9 years ago

What's missing is "I own a BoP and waiting for everything to smooth out before I buy". I am on the fence for this reason. Want to see the final product.

#9 9 years ago

Got mine long before 2.0 was even thought about. Definitely glad I did not reserve a kit yet. Maybe when the code is far more complete I will revisit purchasing one.

#10 9 years ago

In April I purchased BoP 2.0, then started looking for a BoP. I found a nice one from Ron Furr in TX. He's a great guy with lots of games. He had a nice BlackHole. You can guess where this is going... I hauled back his BoP and am waiting my BoP2.0 and a new PF. I've since found and purchased a nice BlackHole from Paul Dravik in NJ.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

Maybe when the code is far more complete I will revisit purchasing one.

I believe they are only making a limited quantity and while I think they are going to do a second batch if there is enough demand, I'm not sure they will do any more after that, so you may have a limited window to make a decision.

#12 9 years ago

I would consider buying a BOP if 2.0 turns out well.

#13 9 years ago

Good poll. So far it's even with 11 bop owners waiting on bop2 and 11 that bought or restored for bop2.

#14 9 years ago

Restoring one they already have is the same as having one since they already had it.The fact it's getting cleaned up is not the same as buying one for the upgrade. It's 16-6 with most people already owning the game before the kit was announced.

#15 9 years ago

I bought a bop right after playing bop 2.0 expo 13
Found one in California while still in Chicago and was able to get some friends to pick it up.
Best dots I've ever seen on a pin and that was when it was just shades of orange.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Restoring one they already have is the same as having one since they already had it.The fact it's getting cleaned up is not the same as buying one for the upgrade. It's 16-6 with most people already owning the game before the kit was announced.

No it's not because the bop2.0 generated the interest to restore. It shows people are putting money into the game for bop2 so had dp decided to shelve this project without telling anyone the people that restored their bop would be just as unhappy as those that bought one

#17 9 years ago

Got my BoP about 5 years ago because I really liked playing it back in the college days. I was a little interested when the announcement first came out but but I'm way beyond any interest in changing the game now.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#18 9 years ago

I already owned and had restored my BoP before DP announced their game. I thought the lights and sounds in the game were great and the metamorphosis is truly unique. I am waiting on a kit.

Gerry

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

No it's not because the bop2.0 generated the interest to restore. It shows people are putting money into the game for bop2 so had dp decided to shelve this project without telling anyone the people that restored their bop would be just as unhappy as those that bought one

its still not the same as buying the game just for the restore, they already liked the game enough to have one.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

They could always sell the game and likely get back what they put into it.

Regardless, they did not shelve it, kits are shipping, so why not just let it go and move on to something new to get worked up over.

#21 9 years ago

I have had my BoP for about 4 years. I started my full restoration the day after I bought 2.0 back in December of last year. I had the restoration done by February and had hoped to put 2.0 in it by spring.

#22 9 years ago

I am one of those who think this classic should stay original , own one and wont buy 2.0

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from PlatinumPinMike:

I am one of those who think this classic should stay original , own one and wont buy 2.0

I'm not criticizing but I'm curious as to why? It's a rather shallow rule set and this kit will really expand on the game tremendously. It also has the original version included so you can still play it like it was. Again, you're welcome to your opinion, I just wonder why.

#24 9 years ago

I'm betting he's a purist. Like how some people will never put LED's in a game that didn't come with them from factory.

I can see it. I'm actually surprised there are so many that are in on the kit since it basically doubles the game in price. We get two game for the cost so I understand that part to. I have it as BOP was my nostalgia game as it is what I played in high school at the local arcade. That and MM but I can't afford one of those so I went with BOP for the memories.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm betting he's a purist. Like how some people will never put LED's in a game that didn't come with them from factory.
I can see it. I'm actually surprised there are so many that are in on the kit since it basically doubles the game in price. We get two game for the cost so I understand that part to. I have it as BOP was my nostalgia game as it is what I played in high school at the local arcade. That and MM but I can't afford one of those so I went with BOP for the memories.

your like me.. i used to play BOP back in the day at putt putt golf and games. she was the first pin i bought because of the memories.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'm not criticizing but I'm curious as to why? It's a rather shallow rule set and this kit will really expand on the game tremendously. It also has the original version included so you can still play it like it was. Again, you're welcome to your opinion, I just wonder why.

It is nice to have option to play original or new version, and as stated and from what limited time i have playing Bop 2.0 at EXPO, it is an almost different game. The $2 grand is pretty steep price for the upgrade, i realize that includes new sound and new color display in addition to game rules..

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

It is nice to have option to play original or new version, and as stated and from what limited time i have playing Bop 2.0 at EXPO, it is an almost different game. The $2 grand is pretty steep price for the upgrade, i realize that includes new sound and new color display in addition to game rules..

Technically, they are including a new computer, a new display, a new sound system (amp & speakers), a new speaker panel, and custom hardware to start it all in addition to the software. Those things are not without cost for sure. I do agree that adding $2000 to a $2500 game makes you think twice, but you could also look at it as buying a brand new game for only $2000. The thing that pushed me over the edge was when I was at Expo 2013 and I played this and then played the new Stern Star Trek, how much more polished this was. Since I was friends with Python Anghelo, I decided that this would be my next "New Game".

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Technically, they are including a new computer, a new display, a new sound system (amp & speakers), a new speaker panel, and custom hardware to start it all in addition to the software. Those things are not without cost for sure. I do agree that adding $2000 to a $2500 game makes you think twice, but you could also look at it as buying a brand new game for only $2000. The thing that pushed me over the edge was when I was at Expo 2013 and I played this and then played the new Stern Star Trek, how much more polished this was. Since I was friends with Python Anghelo, I deciced that this would be my next "New Game".

I got my BoP for $900 as part of a three game purchase about 6-7 years ago, so i got a great deal on the game. My PF was not a DP one and had the normal worn spots and lacquer yellowing on non-mylared areas, and bubbled inserts, etc., but otherwise the game is fine and plays fine. I have since added new ramps, new mini PF, new helmet and CPR faces for the bride and have a mirrored backglass and new PF plastics all waiting on a new BoP PF. I just completed over haul of boards, header pins, molex connectors and crimp pins to bullet proof for the long haul including making a new wiring harness from the Transformer to the GI input with all homerun wires to the PDB, i.e., eliminating the looped connectors.. Undecided about doing cabinet decals or not. Agree, it is like buying an entirely new game for $2k, and not just any game, but a really cool game..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.99
$ 9.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 27.95
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-poll-did-you-buy-one-for-20-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.