(Topic ID: 146699)

BoP playfield restore/replace/sticker/...?

By mgpasman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1788.jpg
IMG_2387.jpg
IMG_1825.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1971.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigDan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 8 years ago

You'd be surprised how nice you can get BOP Play fields looking after just a few hours of elbow grease. Like removing the factory mylar with freeze spray and the left over glue by using soaking it with Goo Gone and using all purpose flour to rub it off, then hit it with a bunch of Novus 2 and top it off with a few coat of carnauba wax and you will have your self a stunner especially if you installed LED's.

If it wasn't super late Id send you some before and after pics of mine or just search my name for the after pics.

Cheers

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

So you don't subscribe to thedefog's fear of ruining the playfield?
I would really love to see this freeze-method described in slightly more detail, a video would be even better!

I don't think you will run into catastrophic problems when removing the factory mylar off a BOP.

If it was an older game like from the 70's then I could see room for concern but BOP was built in 1991. The few areas where I saw mylar bubbling the insert decal was still adhered to the insert instead of it being adhered to the mylar. I watched a few youtube videos on removing mylar using 2 cans of Dust Off flipped upside down and slowly pull away at the frozen areas that easily come off. I started the removal by finding a loose corner and spraying under that and on top of the whole area you could also start the process by slicing into a bubbled insert with a very sharp razor type blade and shooting the spray into there enlarge the hole and shoot more spray until you find a loose section and start going at it like in the videos.

Mine came off all in one sheet. I took care of the left over glue by soaking it in Goo Gone and then returning 15 minutes later with a little bowl of all purpose flower and start rubbing the glue off with the combo of rubbing the flour on the goo gone soaked glue with your flour covered finger and it magically comes up with the aid of more goo gone and flour, but this has all be discussed in other threads.

I did this as a total pinball newb (I was in the hobby for less the 6 months at the time)

Before (see the mylar bubbling up under the hearts)
IMG_1971.jpgIMG_1971.jpg

Bare play field (Before waxing)
IMG_1871.jpgIMG_1871.jpg

See the ball wear by the in-lanes, well you wont notice them once you assemble it and light it up with LED's
IMG_1825.jpgIMG_1825.jpg

One of my first rounds of trying out LED color combo's, it looks different now
IMG_2387.jpgIMG_2387.jpg

Taken early on with the game lights off, maybe after first round of Novus or something, but you can see how well its turning out.

IMG_1788.jpgIMG_1788.jpg

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

@BigDan: I love how your playfield looks with LEDs. I am going the same way, hope it will turn out just as great.
I am going to order new insert decals anyway, but I hope it is not needed to pop out the inserts to restore them. Fingers crossed...
About the freeze spray, I assumed it needed to be sprayed on top of the old mylar, but as I now conclude it can also be sprayed on the playfield/under a part of already removed mylar?

Thanks for the compliments, you wouldn't believe how many trial and error bulbs it took me to get a look I was happy with and I'm still not done. When I do my playfield swap I'm thinking I will keep the colorful inserts but make the bride more of a sunlight/warm white color.

As for the mylar I had good luck spraying it under the mylar and then on top and then back under to get what seemed like only 1 or 2 inches at a time. I left the mylar around the pop bumpers because they looked fine.

I'm sure I used this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/least-damaging-way-to-remove-mylar

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigDan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-playfield-restorereplacesticker?tu=BigDan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.