IMG_3458.JPG
IMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3455.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG
IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_3453.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I'm seriously considering a restore on my BOP now that the BOP 2.0 is coming out. My playfield is above average but is not up to the standard I want it to be. It has the typical fade where the mylar wasn't covering. I removed the mylar and it messed up the edges around the inserts. I touched them up the best I could but they need to be cleaned up. Also has a couple of inserts that could use some work (foggy looking as well as the Heart insert needed work since the whole decal was removed with the mylar. I put a water slide on it and cleared over it a bit but can remove all that pretty easily.

I'm not looking for HEP level restoration as I can't afford that kind of restore but I need to get this cleaned up and cleared.

Is this an easy one to fix? Any suggestion on who could help or if you think I should rip the PF out and give it a better shot.

I've tried sourcing a nicer playfield but haven't found one. If you or someone you know has one please let me know. I'm willing to pay a fair market price for one.

I'm attaching some pics of my PF today were you'll see my "amateur" attempt at cleaning it up the first time.

IMG_3451.JPGIMG_3451.JPGIMG_3452.JPGIMG_3452.JPGIMG_3453.JPGIMG_3453.JPGIMG_3454.JPGIMG_3454.JPGIMG_3455.JPGIMG_3455.JPGIMG_3456.JPGIMG_3456.JPGIMG_3457.JPGIMG_3457.JPGIMG_3458.JPGIMG_3458.JPGIMG_3459.JPGIMG_3459.JPGIMG_3460.JPGIMG_3460.JPG

#2 10 years ago

My BOP is my winter clean-up project as well. Good luck!

#3 10 years ago

You can click on the pics for super high res images.

The foggy inserts drive me crazy

#4 10 years ago

Not a refurb by any stretch but here is a link to a strip and clean I did on my BoP this time last year.
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/bop-shop-log.2048/

The images appear small in the thread but you should be able to click on them to enlarge albeit they are iPhone pics.

#5 10 years ago

Bumping for the night croud as I could really use some advice on what to do here. How would you even fix the inserts? Afraid to take them out as that will require a complete redraw.

Willing to buy another pf to if anyone has one.

#6 10 years ago

What's going on with the values doubled insert? Looks like the mylar is cracked, but you said you have removed all of the mylar?

Check out vid's guide on playfield repair:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Here's another article on repairing fogged, delaminated inserts:

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/playfield/247-fixing-insert-problems

#7 10 years ago

It's the coating that's come off. I'll have to check those threads out. I'm confident I can do the main colors but its the black boarders and the blue words above the wheel that have me hesitant. Don't think I have a steady of enough hand to do those.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Don't think I have a steady of enough hand to do those.

Don't even try to do it freehand.

Print up some Waterslide decals on a Laser printer and redo the keylining and lettering.

Clear coat over the top of the decals to protect them from wear and give the playfield a glasslike shine.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#9 10 years ago

Thanks Vid.

Can I ask a relatively stupid question? I thought about doing just that but I'm concerned that the decal will come lose under the clear over time. Does the clear help keep them from lifting? I wasn't so worried about the smaller ones but the wheel is going to have to be a rather large decal and that's where I started second guessing.

It looks like the repo for BOP has not made any progress and I haven't found a restorer interested in the project so it's going to be up to me to repair. I'd leave it alone but I know I'll never be happy with it as is after putting all the time and money into this pin with the 2.0 kit.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to spend some quality time reading through the threads referenced now.

#10 10 years ago

I thought CPR is doing these playfields. If you don't want to buy new, you you tap out old insert, sand smoothly, then selectively clear over it after insert decal.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can I ask a relatively stupid question? I thought about doing just that but I'm concerned that the decal will come lose under the clear over time. Does the clear help keep them from lifting?

If you never want the decal to lift, you clear the playfield over the blank insert, then do the decal, then clear over the entire playfield.

This makes the tension equal over the decal and it never lifts.

#12 10 years ago

I pulled the mylar on both my pinbot and bride. that looks like glue residue where the mylar had bubbled off. goo gone and plastic razors or your fingernails and a lot or work will take it off and do nothing to the screened text.

#13 10 years ago

I'll give that a shot.

After spending a couple hours reading up on playfield restorations I've decided to take the advise of VID in his tutorial and leave good enough alone until repos are available or one of the restores can work me in. When I can get the playfield worked out I'll tackle the rest of the restore at that time. I hate doing this but I can just see myself making a post 2 months from now advising people to leave good enough alone

Thanks all for the guidance.

I'll end with - WTB - Nice BOP playfield.

#14 10 years ago

We all WTB a nice BOP play field.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I thought CPR is doing these playfields. If you don't want to buy new, you you tap out old insert, sand smoothly, then selectively clear over it after insert decal.

The germans are.... or have been for the longuest time.

I'm patient but damn ...

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

We all WTB a nice BOP play field.

Yes, we all would. Mine I think is past restore but I'm a noob.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-playfield-restoration-guidance-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.