You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 2.10.18 PM.png
BOP overlay.jpg
BOP overlay update.jpg
BOP overlay copy.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Those that have seen some of my post recently probably will notice that I've been debating on restoring my playfield. I failed in finding someone to do this for me so I've turned my thought to trying to create an overlay. I think someone else may be working on something like this as well but I wanted to see if I could do it. I've got a lot of clean-up work to do and (hopefully) it will line up correctly but I wanted to share what I have so far.

Figured worst case scenario is I fail with making an overlay but at least I could share it with a co-builder for use in a VP table update.

I've never tired this before so I could be way off. I also have no clue what to print it on (if I get it finished) or how to get it printed. If I get that far I'll try to find a trashed playfied to test things with (if you have one let me know please).

Let me know what you think. I'm amateur at best with photoshop so you wont hurt my feelings.

BOP overlay copy.pngBOP overlay copy.png

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the info.

PinsideMike - My thought is to leave the places where the insert will be seen blank. This means I'll have to either find someone that can print white (I don't think that's a huge problem with a pro print shop) or I would have to cut out the parts around the inserts (major PITA). My thought is to have one sheet for the playfield and then another separate one for the insert lettering. If I can get this right I'll actually make two different one of the lettering as I'm debating on doing the stock inserts or maybe going with insert lettering that matches BOP 2.0.

JK2171 - I'll be in touch assuming I can get this to work artistically. I'm really concerned about getting it to line up correctly. My thought for install would be to sand the playfield smooth, clear coat it, apply the first overlay, clear it again, apply the insert letters and then clear over that. Since I want to clear coat over the overlay I'm guessing it will have to be vinyl but you would know best. I'm hoping that by doing it this way (following LTD's guide for waterslide decals) that it will help prevent bubbling and will allow it to play better.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I will check with the supplier and get an update hopefully tonite or tomorrow. Additionally I'll put a pre-reserve item on our site and post here when I do that.
rick

We'll heck. This just makes my day too and will put this project on hold. I gave up on repo BOP playfields too as it seemed like it's been stalled out for years now. What are the chances of these being ready by the end of Feb? My goal was to restore my BOP in time for the 2.0 kit to come in and take it to the Texas pinball festival to get some attention to the new rules and allow everyone to play it.

I'd very much like to be put on a pre-order list as well.

#19 10 years ago

Yes, I know I'm being impatient but Rick, did you hear anything about the BOP playfields

1 week later
#21 10 years ago

Just bumping to see if Rick has had any luck getting a timeline from the vendor on the new playfields. I don't want to spend the couple hundred hours it will take to finish this unless those playfields wont happen.

Rick - Any news

2 weeks later
#24 10 years ago

I hope they aren't yanking our chain. Really surprised we haven't heard anything back so hoping that is not a sign that it may be on the backburner. With MMr I'm assuming anything other than that is low priority right now which is understandable.

I'm pretty sure CPR has the artwork as I thought I saw a thread a year or 2 ago where they got burnt on it. Something about the license getting pulled after they started work on it. I could be starting rumors though as I can't remember 100% but I thought it was on their roadmap long ago.

Would be really cool if whomever does this give an option to go with the proto inserts. I just saw some pics of one and I actually thought it was pretty neat looking.

With that all said.... I'm still slowly making progress on the overlay. I've got the base put together and am working on the detail work (cleaning up all the lines). It is a major PITA so I hope CPR or PP come to the rescue with a repo playfield sometime in the near future.

#27 10 years ago

Just a quick progress update on this. I've spent most of my time at her legs on the center section. I'm already seeing several things I'll have to redo as the lines are crappy. This is MUCH harder than I thought it would be BOP overlay update.jpgBOP overlay update.jpg

2 months later
#44 10 years ago

I actually put this on the back burner being all the talk about repo's coming. Needed to have a plan B for if they don't come so I still play around with it every now and then.

Would be nice if the PF's come about the same time as 2.0.

6 months later
#50 9 years ago

Giving up on the repo playfield since they were "going to silkscreaning" 9 months ago and apparently nothing is coming from it so far. Checked on some restoration possibilities and they just aren't cost effective for my current PF so am firing this back up. Hopefully a repo happens soon otherwise I'm just going to go with this and save some $$$.

Here's a low res version of what I've got now. Test printing my Batman PF so focusing on this. With some luck I may be able to redo both at the same time

Let me know what you think. I need to do some more clean up work (mainly the hearts), add the missing astronauts, and try to start making sure the inserts line up.

BOP overlay.jpgBOP overlay.jpg

1 week later
#58 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

10/23 all colors screened except for black which is scheduled for this coming week. Hopefully no issues, then clear (hopefully no issues), then done.
rick

That's great. I actually signed up to the PPS forum and saw that as well. I'd much rather have a repo than an overlay. Still going to plug away on this for the time being. Worst case I have some cool art to print off that i can frame on the wall.

#60 9 years ago

Fantastic news.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-overlay-attempt?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.