Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Geocab
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

Unfortunately, as mbt says, the helmet lights are controlled by a separate board, and the control comes through a couple of solenoid transistors. Neither of the OCD kits can do anything to help them.

I don't really know what kind of rates they're running at, so I can't really say whether something like Comet's Ultimate Optix would be able to smooth them out or if it would require a replacement board to really do the job right.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am in proto, and I hope it works, of a bulb with an additional resistor across both leads... do you think this might be of help in this case?

No, this is a different problem. The older Bally/Stern games just need the lamps to draw a little more current than LEDs typically do.

Here, the issue is that there is a "Chase" board that controls additional lamps separately from the typical GI or lamp matrix. The circuit on that board turns on and off fine with LEDs, it's just that the control is a bit too "crude" to smoothly control LEDs. Incandescent bulbs, with their inherent fading, smooth out the jerkiness of the controlled power.

#20 9 years ago

I haven't been able to find a schematic that I can actually read, but it looks the bulbs are being powered by a DC source. Is one of the GI strings rectified somewhere?

As for the GI OCD fuses, they're very conservative values (2A SB) for F2 - F6. While I haven't specifically tested for higher current, you could increase the fuse value to support incandescents in the helmet. Just make sure to keep an eye on the MOSFET to make sure it isn't getting too hot. It's rated for 26A, but there's no heat sink on it, so it will not be able to run at the full rated 26A. Also, be aware of how much current you're running through the connectors. It's no more current than the game was originally running, but we've all seen burned up GI connectors, right? The fuse holders are rated for 6.3A, so don't go higher than that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-helmet-lights-ledgi-ocd-problem?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.