Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Geocab
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just installed a GIOCD and LEDOCD into my BoP. Everything is working great except for the helmet lights. They're lighting up but they don't seem to be smoothed out like all the other LEDs in the pin. Still flickering and ghosting.

Anyone get these working with OCD?

#2 5 years ago

I would think that contacting herg would be the best approach to this issue.

#3 5 years ago

The helemt lights are controlled by there own board under the playfield, so they aren't part if the GI or controlled lamps.

#4 5 years ago

This is what I feared. Oh well everything else looks fantastic.

#5 5 years ago

Just get some nice no flix non ghosting leds for the helmet.

#6 5 years ago

Unfortunately, as mbt says, the helmet lights are controlled by a separate board, and the control comes through a couple of solenoid transistors. Neither of the OCD kits can do anything to help them.

I don't really know what kind of rates they're running at, so I can't really say whether something like Comet's Ultimate Optix would be able to smooth them out or if it would require a replacement board to really do the job right.

#7 5 years ago

I am in proto, and I hope it works, of a bulb with an additional resistor across both leads, in the hope it will
solve the need in older Bally/Stern games where people are soldering a resistor, or using a board add on.
Since I am very electrically dumb, do you think this might be of help in this case?

Art

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I can't really say whether something like Comet's Ultimate Optix would be able to smooth them out

I tried them on mine and they didn't work so I just put red incandecent in and I like the way they fade from one to another. I may try blue for a while also. They are the 44's not the dimmer 47's. I meant 555.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

They are the 44's not the dimmer 47's

By #44 you mean #555, right?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am in proto, and I hope it works, of a bulb with an additional resistor across both leads, in the hope it will
solve the need in older Bally/Stern games where people are soldering a resistor, or using a board add on.
Since I am very electrically dumb, do you think this might be of help in this case?
Art

Always tinkering....good job.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am in proto, and I hope it works, of a bulb with an additional resistor across both leads... do you think this might be of help in this case?

No, this is a different problem. The older Bally/Stern games just need the lamps to draw a little more current than LEDs typically do.

Here, the issue is that there is a "Chase" board that controls additional lamps separately from the typical GI or lamp matrix. The circuit on that board turns on and off fine with LEDs, it's just that the control is a bit too "crude" to smoothly control LEDs. Incandescent bulbs, with their inherent fading, smooth out the jerkiness of the controlled power.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

By #44 you mean #555, right?

OUPS!! I'll correct it.

#13 5 years ago

Damn, I was really hoping the OCD boards fixed this. I didn't realize there was another board controlling these bulbs. I put in LEDs and have been living with the flicker waiting for Herg's boards to arrive. Bummer they won't address this.

I see so many BoPs with LEDs in the helmet, I'm surprised there isn't a solution. They really look bad with LEDs as is. I'm switching ALL incandescents to LED on all my games (GI, inserts, flashers) and these might have to be the only incandescents I still run.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks Herg,

Well, who wants to make a board?

#15 5 years ago

i can't stop thinking about those poor BOP helmet lights that will never know the silky smooth current of love that only an OCD board can provide.

#16 5 years ago

Well just ordered some #555's. Makes me sad but without OCD they're way too bright and kind of distracting compared to the rest of the lighting on the pin. I guess once you go OCD you can't go back. :/

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I see so many BoPs with LEDs in the helmet, I'm surprised there isn't a solution. They really look bad with LEDs as is. I'm switching ALL incandescents to LED on all my games (GI, inserts, flashers) and these might have to be the only incandescents I still run

I had the same problem with my bop, and i replaced the leds on the helmet with these ones : http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=1460&categoryId=211

And i'm really happy with the result.

You could also check this video to have an idea of how they look :

Edit : Just in case, this is not my bop and the video was made by Black Rose.

#18 5 years ago

I begged in the past for someone to make an LED friendly chase lamp board for Creature to no avail. BoP needs such a model as well. I would be in for both.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Damn, I was really hoping the OCD boards fixed this. I didn't realize there was another board controlling these bulbs. I put in LEDs and have been living with the flicker waiting for Herg's boards to arrive. Bummer they won't address this.
I see so many BoPs with LEDs in the helmet, I'm surprised there isn't a solution. They really look bad with LEDs as is. I'm switching ALL incandescents to LED on all my games (GI, inserts, flashers) and these might have to be the only incandescents I still run.

Don't think you can use incandescent bulbs in the helmet since it's still being powered by the GI (J120). I just tried and blew a fuse on the GIOCD board when I added one too many.

#20 5 years ago

I haven't been able to find a schematic that I can actually read, but it looks the bulbs are being powered by a DC source. Is one of the GI strings rectified somewhere?

As for the GI OCD fuses, they're very conservative values (2A SB) for F2 - F6. While I haven't specifically tested for higher current, you could increase the fuse value to support incandescents in the helmet. Just make sure to keep an eye on the MOSFET to make sure it isn't getting too hot. It's rated for 26A, but there's no heat sink on it, so it will not be able to run at the full rated 26A. Also, be aware of how much current you're running through the connectors. It's no more current than the game was originally running, but we've all seen burned up GI connectors, right? The fuse holders are rated for 6.3A, so don't go higher than that.

6 months later
#21 4 years ago

It's been 7 months since posts in this thread, has anyone found an acceptable LED solution to the helmet flickering? Or are incandescents still the best solution for now?

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

It's been 7 months since posts in this thread, has anyone found an acceptable LED solution to the helmet flickering? Or are incandescents still the best solution for now?

always have been, probably always will be. They are controlled form a separate board and the fade on incandescent makes the effects better. Personally I have yellow bulbs in my helmet, it accents the gold in the head on the translight. That being said the rest of my game, and most of my other ones are all LED.

#23 4 years ago

I tried installing incandescents the other day but it just looked out of place. Although the effects were awesome. Shame.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kearsley , MI
$ 209.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakville, MO

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside