IMG_20190128_184628 (resized).jpg
bop_helmet_control_connector (resized).jpg
bop_helmet_control_cable (resized).jpg
IMG_3605 (resized).JPG
IMG_3609 (resized).JPG
bop_helmet_control_supply_cable (resized).jpg
bop_helmet_control_fitted (resized).jpg
bop_helmet_control_pcb (resized).jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

perhaps some of you BOP owners has noticed that replacing the helmet light bulbs with LEDs makes them flicker. Since I wasn't happy with this I made my own PCB that is a "drop-in" replacement for the normal chase light board. I know there are other solutions to this problems, but they tend to at least demand that you disassemble and remove parts of the helmet and I didn't want to do that.
The replacement board uses PWM to fade the LEDs to make them behave more like a standard light bulb and there is no need for any special LEDs. The board also creates a new regulated DC supply voltage (~3-9Volt depending on a resistor on the board) for driving the LEDs which is essential to make them flicker-free. This DC supply connects to the LEDs by routing a new cable from one of the previously unused pins on a board connector and attaching it to the free-hanging cable connector leading up to the helmet (white-orange cable).
It is also possible to use the board without the PWM-function (by adding a jumper to the board) and using it as a drop-in replacement for the normal chase light board together with light bulbs. Then there is no need for the extra white-orange cable, just remove the old board and attach this new one.
I'm not quite sure how the legal part is regarding making replacement parts for pinball machines. Perhaps someone can enlighten me, and if there is any problems I will remove this post.
I did this replacement board for myself, but I have some spare boards if anyone is interested and if the legal part is okay?

Here is a video (although hard to shoot) of the board in action together with some purple/pink LEDs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgi1wWpcmel2s3FpjWO4BgApkBiFuXS4/view

bop_helmet_control_fitted (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_fitted (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_pcb (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_pcb (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_supply_cable (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_supply_cable (resized).jpg
2 months later
#2 5 years ago

Hey all. We now have successfully installed @pellew's board in our BoP.

Here is a video of the final result. We're using retro LEDs:

Here are some photos of the installation:

IMG_3605 (resized).JPGIMG_3605 (resized).JPG

IMG_3609 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPG

Looking good! Thanks @pellew!

#3 5 years ago

Hey pellew, I'll take one if you have an extra, how much is it?

#4 5 years ago

Does this use the original software control or does this board do it’s own lighting effects

#5 5 years ago

Hell yeah - Good work. Wish I was at this level of bad assery! (god mode )

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Does this use the original software control or does this board do it’s own lighting effects

Original software control.

#7 5 years ago

Hi pellew, I would take a board also if you have anymore and would ship to Canada

#8 5 years ago

Great job @jsa, looking good!

I have some more boards, but they are not ready to ship yet. If you are interested then send me a PM and we'll take it from there.

The board controls the light just like the original board but with added fade and no flicker.
It would be possible though to make a firmware for the board that controls the lights in a different way. Any ideas and I would try it?

#9 5 years ago

Can you do the whirlpool and ramp for Creech next?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Can you do the whirlpool and ramp for Creech next?

Would most likely not be a problem to fix, but I don't own a creature so I can not measure on it or test a board in it.
The same goes for the white water topper, it would be possible to do if I had the game.

#11 5 years ago

Some information, the boards are fully populated. No soldering required. You only need to add LEDs and one new cable to feed the helmet with a DC voltage from the new board.

#12 5 years ago

PM sent, I'm interested!

#13 5 years ago

Hi all, the interest for the boards seems to have increased beyond the numbers I have at the moment. I'll respond to PMs later today and I'll see if I manage to fix boards for all.
Thanks!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from pellew:

Hi all, the interest for the boards seems to have increased beyond the numbers I have at the moment. I'll respond to PMs later today and I'll see if I manage to fix boards for all.
Thanks!

Thanks for making this, yes you better make more, this could sell VERY well.

#15 5 years ago

I've replied to the PM's I got and for those of you that are on the waiting list I've got good news; I've ordered some more boards and components so no one will be left without a board if you want one.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from pellew:

I've replied to the PM's I got and for those of you that are on the waiting list I've got good news; I've ordered some more boards and components so no one will be left without a board if you want one.

That's great. I hope you ordered some extras.

#17 5 years ago

I’ve been considering pinduino for the helmet, but this board is super snazzy!

Wow!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Wow!

Yeah this opens up the possibility of using all kinds of different bulbs like Comet Crystal Fan bulbs.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Wow!

The Pinduino does a lot more (I have one) but this looks to be a simple and elegant solution.

1 week later
#20 5 years ago

PM Sent this looks great, I have good LED's and the flicker was not a problem but the instant on-off was distracting. It will be nice to have the fade back.

#21 5 years ago

First batch of boards sent today. Will try to send the rest within a week.

Boards are tested before shipment, but if there should be any problems just let me know.

#22 5 years ago

Installation:
First install LEDs in the helmet. Replace the old board with this new board and reuse the plastic spacers. Then you need to add a cable from the new board according to the pictures. I added a white/orange cable which is the same as the original cable feeding power to the helmet. Disconnect the 1 pin cable connector that is under the playfield/helmet and (by using whatever method you like) connect the new cable to the connector piece that is going up to the helmet. DO NOT connect this new cable to the wrong piece of the connector.

bop_helmet_control_cable (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_cable (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_connector (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_connector (resized).jpg
1 week later
#23 5 years ago

pellew Do you have a part number for the single wire molex connector for the DC power to the head? Also what wire gauge? 18 awg?

#24 5 years ago

Hope you plan to keep making these, most definitely would like one in the new year sometime

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

pellew Do you have a part number for the single wire molex connector for the DC power to the head? Also what wire gauge? 18 awg?

Yeah, this wire and connector should have come with the board. Not a happy camper here. That looks to be 22 gauge.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah, this wire and connector should have come with the board. Not a happy camper here. That looks to be 22 gauge.

Well he did a great job on the board, so can’t be too unhappy. I just went to install tonight and realized I need to source some wire and the connector... I suppose I could just pull the wire from the back box wherever it connects, but figured I’d make it easily reversible by sourcing the connector and wire. I can order extra and make you one, once I figure out what I need.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Probably one of these two:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=03-06-1011
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=03-09-1011

More likely the first one, judging from the size of the wire, which seems to be 22awg.

#28 5 years ago

Hi,

MustangPaul sorry for not being clear about this. I think I wrote this privately to the first customer but forgot to mention this in the thread/information sent to you, sorry!
I have not looked up the part number for the connector, but the one ForceFlow mentioned (Molex housing 03-06-1011 together with Molex crimp socket 02-06-1103) seems correct. The wire gauge is not critical regarding current, but 22 AWG would fit the 0.156" IDC-connector going to the board and the crimp socket.

Once again, sorry about not informing you guys about the need for a cable and a connector!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Well he did a great job on the board, so can’t be too unhappy. I just went to install tonight and realized I need to source some wire and the connector... I suppose I could just pull the wire from the back box wherever it connects, but figured I’d make it easily reversible by sourcing the connector and wire. I can order extra and make you one, once I figure out what I need.

Yeah the board is beautiful buy in my opinion it should have been plug-n-play. If you would make me one that would be great, I'll pay you of course so let me know. Thank you.

#30 5 years ago

OK, I ordered enough wire/crimps/connectors to make up 10 wires... in case anyone needs one.

#31 5 years ago

I would take one if you’ll ship it to Canada. Thanks mavantix

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

OK, I ordered enough wire/crimps/connectors to make up 10 wires... in case anyone needs one.

Thanks for doing this Kenneth, MUCH appreciated.

1 week later
#33 5 years ago

Thanks @pellew - I'm really happy with the results of the board and I think it's a nice little addition to a BoP machine. I included your board in a short write up on my latest BoP tinkering - http://www.enteryourinitials.com/2018/12/18/bride-of-pinbot-2-0-repair-service-log-7/

#34 5 years ago

Got my board installed and the improvement is great, thanks pellew for a great board!!

1 month later
#35 5 years ago

i installed the board with the extra cable.

But i got a strange thing... The helmet LEDs are not correctly working....

I made a Video

http://sendvid.com/lyn2qkgd

I changed q24 and q26 but it din't help.
Don't know what and how to check now.

Maybe you can help me and give me some input

Thank you and Best regards

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

i installed the board with the extra cable.
But i got a strange thing... The helmet LEDs are not correctly working....
I made a Video
http://sendvid.com/lyn2qkgd
I changed q24 and q26 but it din't help.
Don't know what and how to check now.
Maybe you can help me and give me some input
Thank you and Best regards

Hi,

it definitely looks like problems with the clock and data going into the board (most likely the data). Tried to swap back to the old board to see how it is working?
Are all LEDs on the board steady RED except the one next to the CPU which should be flashing about 1 time per second?
Can you tell me the number written on your board that you received, then I can look at my pictures to see if something seems odd.
All boards are fully tested before I ship them, but of course it's possible that something is a bit "loose" that might have moved during shipment. A cold solder joint for instance.

-Pelle

#37 5 years ago

Hi Pelle,

i will look today evening for the boards and make some photos.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from pellew:

Hi,
it definitely looks like problems with the clock and data going into the board (most likely the data). Tried to swap back to the old board to see how it is working?
Are all LEDs on the board steady RED except the one next to the CPU which should be flashing about 1 time per second?
Can you tell me the number written on your board that you received, then I can look at my pictures to see if something seems odd.
All boards are fully tested before I ship them, but of course it's possible that something is a bit "loose" that might have moved during shipment. A cold solder joint for instance.
-Pelle

I will try the board swap on Thursday...

But here the pictures and the vids from the actual situation with the Board: https://sendvid.com/g7l1fvgx

Hope it helps...

I think is the cable or a conenctor on the PDB - but more infos on thursday

IMG_20190128_184323 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184323 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184332 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184332 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184628 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184628 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184639 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184639 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184644 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184644 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184650 (resized).jpgIMG_20190128_184650 (resized).jpg
#39 5 years ago

Ok, can't see anything from your photos and not on my saved photos either. Let me know how it progresses on Thursday. Worst case I'll send you a new board.

-Pelle

5 months later
#40 4 years ago

pellew is there any chance of getting one of these?

#41 4 years ago

Vimtoman you've got a PM.

Can anyone else give some feedback on how the boards has been working? I've had one case where two different boards didn't work. Since it is somewhat hard to troubleshoot via email we couldn't find the root cause.

Thanks!

#42 4 years ago

Pellew , mine has been working great since day 1 . Its been about six months, since I bought it from you

#43 4 years ago

No issues here, working great!

#44 4 years ago

I believe I was your first test, or close to it, and it's been working great every day.

I also brought this game to an expo/festival and had hundreds of plays, a lot of good exposure, and no issues.

1 week later
#45 4 years ago

pellew are these still available? pm sent

#47 4 years ago

Hi all, I've had some family issues to deal with but now all PM:s has been replied. I have some boards ready for shipment and can make a few more if needed.

Nihonmasa please send me a PM and I'll give you some more information.

#48 4 years ago

I just asked for one of these boards, it will be nice to have the correct fade effect.

When I'm not at work I'll have to look at this thread again for details on what I need for that wire.

1 week later
#49 4 years ago

Received thx! Will do the swap later on, when my buthamburg playfield arrives

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Hey all. We now have successfully installed pellew's board in our BoP.
Here is a video of the final result. We're using retro LEDs:

Here are some photos of the installation:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Looking good! Thanks pellew!

Nice vid of it in action. What is doing the other lighting effects on the face?

I ordered one, now I need to get some wire and the connector. Is the one linked above correct?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 40.00
$ 27.95
$ 9.99
$ 9.95
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-helmet-control-for-use-with-leds/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.