Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Toucanf16
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3605 (resized).JPG
IMG_3609 (resized).JPG
bop_helmet_control_supply_cable (resized).jpg
bop_helmet_control_fitted (resized).jpg
bop_helmet_control_pcb (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Hi all,

perhaps some of you BOP owners has noticed that replacing the helmet light bulbs with LEDs makes them flicker. Since I wasn't happy with this I made my own PCB that is a "drop-in" replacement for the normal chase light board. I know there are other solutions to this problems, but they tend to at least demand that you disassemble and remove parts of the helmet and I didn't want to do that.
The replacement board uses PWM to fade the LEDs to make them behave more like a standard light bulb and there is no need for any special LEDs. The board also creates a new regulated DC supply voltage (~3-9Volt depending on a resistor on the board) for driving the LEDs which is essential to make them flicker-free. This DC supply connects to the LEDs by routing a new cable from one of the previously unused pins on a board connector and attaching it to the free-hanging cable connector leading up to the helmet (white-orange cable).
It is also possible to use the board without the PWM-function (by adding a jumper to the board) and using it as a drop-in replacement for the normal chase light board together with light bulbs. Then there is no need for the extra white-orange cable, just remove the old board and attach this new one.
I'm not quite sure how the legal part is regarding making replacement parts for pinball machines. Perhaps someone can enlighten me, and if there is any problems I will remove this post.
I did this replacement board for myself, but I have some spare boards if anyone is interested and if the legal part is okay?

Here is a video (although hard to shoot) of the board in action together with some purple/pink LEDs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgi1wWpcmel2s3FpjWO4BgApkBiFuXS4/view

bop_helmet_control_fitted (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_pcb (resized).jpgbop_helmet_control_supply_cable (resized).jpg
2 months later
#2 9 days ago

Hey all. We now have successfully installed pellew's board in our BoP.

Here is a video of the final result. We're using retro LEDs:

Here are some photos of the installation:

IMG_3605 (resized).JPG

IMG_3609 (resized).JPG

Looking good! Thanks pellew!

#3 9 days ago

Hey pellew, I'll take one if you have an extra, how much is it?

#4 9 days ago

Does this use the original software control or does this board do it’s own lighting effects

#5 9 days ago

Hell yeah - Good work. Wish I was at this level of bad assery! (god mode )

#6 8 days ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Does this use the original software control or does this board do it’s own lighting effects

Original software control.

#7 8 days ago

Hi pellew, I would take a board also if you have anymore and would ship to Canada

#8 8 days ago

Great job jsa, looking good!

I have some more boards, but they are not ready to ship yet. If you are interested then send me a PM and we'll take it from there.

The board controls the light just like the original board but with added fade and no flicker.
It would be possible though to make a firmware for the board that controls the lights in a different way. Any ideas and I would try it?

#9 8 days ago

Can you do the whirlpool and ramp for Creech next?

#10 8 days ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Can you do the whirlpool and ramp for Creech next?

Would most likely not be a problem to fix, but I don't own a creature so I can not measure on it or test a board in it.
The same goes for the white water topper, it would be possible to do if I had the game.

#11 8 days ago

Some information, the boards are fully populated. No soldering required. You only need to add LEDs and one new cable to feed the helmet with a DC voltage from the new board.

#13 7 days ago

Hi all, the interest for the boards seems to have increased beyond the numbers I have at the moment. I'll respond to PMs later today and I'll see if I manage to fix boards for all.
Thanks!

#14 7 days ago
Quoted from pellew:

Hi all, the interest for the boards seems to have increased beyond the numbers I have at the moment. I'll respond to PMs later today and I'll see if I manage to fix boards for all.
Thanks!

Thanks for making this, yes you better make more, this could sell VERY well.

#15 7 days ago

I've replied to the PM's I got and for those of you that are on the waiting list I've got good news; I've ordered some more boards and components so no one will be left without a board if you want one.

#16 7 days ago
Quoted from pellew:

I've replied to the PM's I got and for those of you that are on the waiting list I've got good news; I've ordered some more boards and components so no one will be left without a board if you want one.

That's great. I hope you ordered some extras.

#17 5 days ago

I’ve been considering pinduino for the helmet, but this board is super snazzy!

Wow!

#18 5 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Wow!

Yeah this opens up the possibility of using all kinds of different bulbs like Comet Crystal Fan bulbs.

#19 5 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Wow!

The Pinduino does a lot more (I have one) but this looks to be a simple and elegant solution.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 209.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside