Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RCA1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have an issue with one of the chase lamps not working on the helmet of my BOP.
I've ruled out the bulb and bulb socket as being the issue. The board looks nice and clean and the traces appear perfect. The bulb works when hack/hotwired to the next bulb over.

I think that what's going on is that each bulb has a diode associated with it, and the board uses a common ground for all the bulbs. I think that the diode with this particular bulb is bad.
Does this seem right?
Is that really a diode? I have no idea how to tell a diode from a resistor from my elbow.
Can I just replace it? and what size/spec should it be?

Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

How did you rule out the socket? With my BoP, I had a bunch of iffy sockets I had to replace....took me forever to track them all down!

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

How did you rule out the socket?

The lamp sockets are the type that can be screwed out of the board. Swapped with a working one, and the same location is still out while the original socket works in the other location.

#4 11 years ago

I think the diode is a reasonable thing to check. I'm still a novice at fixing these kinds of issues, but when one of the lamps was out in the 5x5 grid on my Pinbot, I did what you did to rule out the socket. I ended up replacing the diode for that particular lamp, and it solved my issue.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks Floyd. I think you're right that I'm right.
Did some additional research and the moral of the story is "CHECK THE MANUAL".
Manual shows that is a 1N4004 1.0A diode. (Hah! My guess was right!)
Looks to be available at Radio Shack for less than two bucks.

Will likely try to replace it this weekend.

Edit: Here's an online review of the diode posted on the Raido Shack site. Looks like I REALLY need this diode:

Comments about RadioShack 1N4004 Micro 1-Amp Rectifier Diode:
OMG! These are the best diodes on the planet Earth. I absolutely screamed with excitement as I roughly thrust them into my PCB, and soldered them with abandon into my circuits. These are much better than the ones I was getting from House of Diodes, the Diode House, or Diode-a-rama. They also taste great with guacamole.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9.99
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-helmet-chase-lamp-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.