2 (resized).jpg
20230107_193858 (resized).jpg
BOP_pinbot_values (resized).png
DSC06303 (resized).JPG
DSC06302 (resized).JPG
DSC06301 (resized).JPG
CE093284-D2E7-434C-94F7-231E5F890FC5 (resized).jpeg
20230730_133932 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1362 6 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a goo picture that shows where any wireforms may go near the rear left of the play field? I was playing the machine and heard some weird noises when the ball went down for the jackpot. It got stuck and I found a 2 1/2" wireform stuck down in there. I can't see any that are missing on the play field and have no idea where this one goes and how it ended up down in there. It either recently came off from the back and fell in there or has been laying in the machine since before I acquired it over 19 years ago. Are there any around the rotating head assembly? Help me solve the mystery!

The machine is due for a set fresh rubbers and a good cleaning and can put back the wireform at the same time.

#1364 6 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

There is one on the right side of the face, in between the double rubbers.

That looks like the piece I found and I can see the holes for it now so that is it. Thank you for posting the picture! Mystery solved. When I get the new rubber ring I'll tear my machine down, clean everything, novis my ramps and put that wireform back.

6 months later
#1532 6 years ago

I like it! Put me down on the list when they are ready. Great job.

2 weeks later
#1549 6 years ago
Quoted from Nesta08:

I just finished installing the playfield I got from Peter and am more than happy with his product! Get one while he has them available you will not regret it

Where did you get the decals for inside the cabinet? I haven't seen that version before and I like that variation better than the others.

11 months later
#1648 5 years ago
Quoted from Morydees:

Good news, they weren't corroded. Bad news, this one flew off the board when using the chip puller and shattered on the floor! I have never had to source any electronics/chips for my BoP, how screwed am I here?

If you have someone in your area with access to an EPROM programmer and chips it isn't hard to make a replacement. Images are available at ipdb.org for your game. Just plug in the new chip. Not hard at all.

In all my years of working on early computers and games I have never seen an EPROM break like that. That is a new one!

9 months later
#1796 4 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

Wow, that was fast getting into the billionaire club TronGuy. Guess I just suck at making lt ramp shots

Don't feel bad. I've had mine for about 20 years and still haven't done that. To be fair it sat unused half that time after moving.

I'm just at peace that I am better at fixing them than playing them?

5 months later
#1901 3 years ago

Are these available anywhere?

8 months later
#2111 3 years ago

I currently have L-7 in mine at the moment. If I recall correctly you really want at least version L-6 since that was supposed to have updates for the rotating head and supposedly had more forgiving timing. The earlier versions were a bit tight on timing and if the head was running a bit slow for any reason it would fail. Originally got my BOP when Williams was still in business and exchanged some e-mails with them about it and they told me about that fix. If I can find that message I'll have to post it. I know after running the newer code I've never seen errors with that.

2 weeks later
#2139 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I think I've narrowed down one of the problems with my BoP to the head relay board. I've seen posts about reflowing the solder, and read a bit online but I've never done this before. Do I really put the relay and board into the oven at 100deg and raise to 220 for 2 min? Is there any way to test the relay/board? I can get the head to rotate manually in the test menu, but lately the head has been skipping the eyes face after getting the ball in her mouth. I'm a little nervous to pop this thing in the oven since you can't seem to buy them anymore.

Where did you read that? No, I would not recommend that at all.

Reflowing the solder by hand yes. Often remove some of the old solder first and resolder with fresh. From vibration, flexing, thermal expansion/contraction, and stress the solder joints at connectors and components can crack. That causes an open connection. It can often oxidize in the cracks. That’s why it helps to remove some of the old solder.

Also avoid the RoHS solder. It’s awful. Also brittle. Maybe limited use on new boards for rework but overall it is junk.

#2141 3 years ago

Totally different application doing new construction of surface Mount boards. I wouldn’t use that method on any of the pinball machine I’ve worked on.

If you want to read up on soldering there are some great videos by PACE online

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pace+soldering+tutorial

7 months later
#2203 2 years ago

I have one and it is a nice upgrade.

3 months later
#2231 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I officially get to join this club!
I finally found a Bride that I get to call my own! Absolutely thrilled with this newest addition. I traded my High Speed + cash for his bride and brand new Buthamburg PF and couldn't be happier. Neither one of these pins will EVER leave my collection.
[quoted image]

Congratulations! They are both great machines! I've owned both for 25 years and they are both keepers. If you haven't tried it yet get the new PEMBOT code for PINBOT. Refreshes the game and makes it a lot better. PINBOT was my first game and BOP the second. The BOP is currently my wife's favorite machine. There is plenty of support here if you have any issues with it.

3 months later
#2342 1 year ago
Quoted from WesleyB:

Definitely using lead solder as well as paste flux to make sure it "soaks in" the via hole. I checked to make sure no bad joints and it tested ok. I had some higher voltage 47uf radials on hand so I swapped those out and guess what...it worked. My guess is that the 47uf caps I got from marco were borderline crap since they were a name I had never heard of and one was junk out of the box. I normally stick with Nichicon but these were something like TSPP. If I had to guess, they tested good in my cap tester but when put on a load, they take a dump.
I left the machine on with a ball in the shooter lane so the new caps can get settled in so I will update when I go back downstairs. Normally the clipping would start in the first 60 seconds of play.

This is exactly why I test all the caps I pull out and new ones before they go in. Haven’t had any issues with new caps fir sound boards but have come across questionable ones in monitor cap kits where the specs were off on a couple but the original were spot on with better specs so those went back in. Tested with a Sencore LC103 which tests at rated voltage, tests value, tests ESR, and Dielectric Absorption. It has helped to uncover failing caps where the value is still ok but under load act up. One it helped identify was where some tantalum caps in an analog circuit. Capacitance value was ok but when active we’re starting to act shorted. Wasn’t obvious since it wasn’t across the power rails which would have smoked them.

#2344 1 year ago
Quoted from WesleyB:

The LC103 is $1200 used...All of the new caps tested within range on my 50$ tester. I wish I could justify the cost of getting one of those since I love cool equipment but I am not on that level. I just buy good caps when I can and this example is exactly why I do that.
Also, the fix is verified 100% working. I left the machine on for hours yesterday and played around 20 games and it sounds great!

It's not for everyone but I have used it enough for all sorts of repairs over the years where it was totally worth the investment. You usually don't need that level of gear unless you do a ton of repairs. As long as you buy quality parts from reputable distributors then you can usually trust the replacements. I typically get caps from Digikey and Mouser which may cost a bit more but I usually don't have to worry about them too much.

#2346 1 year ago
Quoted from WesleyB:

I normally order from Digikey as well BUT it was convenient to get them from marco since I could cross reference the part number to the cap. Most of the caps from marco were brand name except for these axials. Once I put the Nichicon replacements in there, it worked as expected. Fun times!

Just glad to hear you got it fixed!

7 months later
#2520 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Flipper switch arcing?
This normal on BOP?
Got a report from a fellow employee that the "right flipper" was sticky a few weeks ago.
I went in today to debug and couldn't reproduce.
The machine has been arcing at the flipper button switches since I initally did work on it. I'm curious if the arcing is normal?!

Does the machine have capacitors on the cabinet switches?

1 week later
#2528 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Didn't know filters went bad but there ya go
Luckily can still buy those.
Do you reckon that's the main reason it's doing what it's doing? cause i would doubt a stuffed transformer last of all.

You should be able to confirm if you temporarily disconnect one of the leads on the output to remove the load downstream. If it doesn’t blown then the filter may be ok. If it does blow then you’ve confirmed it is probably bad.

3 months later
#2566 1 year ago
Quoted from Marco1973:

With the right tools it is a really simple operation. Desoldering pump and soldering tool. There are on Pinside lot of threads about it, I ordered exactly from the USA the tools I'm using. For you will it be easier and cheaper in comparison of what I did.

Not so fast. Yes, you definitely need to have good tools but you also need practice. I wouldn't recommend learning on any of the original Williams/Bally WPC boards or the Rottendog replacements. They are not as forgiving as other boards and you need to be comfortable with board work before working on those. Some had components with the leads folded which are a bit more difficult to get cleanly out. difficultly also depends if you are trying to save the old part or not.

I've gotten in too many WPC boards (both original and a couple Rottendog) that had damaged pads, traces, and through hole plating from prior work. That takes additional time to repair and costs more than having someone do it that works on boards all the time.

That said someone can definitely learn and do it. Just be extremely careful on any of these boards.

3 months later
#2603 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

The head on my BoP has always been a bit wonky. I just did a deep shop job. Cleaned out the old grease in the gearbox, added some new teflon lube (I'm not sure that is the best thing to use but it's worked for me in the past). Now the head will occasionally stop in between 2 faces. Should I replace that switch #67? Is there anything on that motor board that would cause this?

What ROM version are you running. As I recall later versions had fixes for the head.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.95
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-clubnon-20?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.