2 (resized).jpg
20230107_193858 (resized).jpg
BOP_pinbot_values (resized).png
DSC06303 (resized).JPG
DSC06302 (resized).JPG
DSC06301 (resized).JPG
CE093284-D2E7-434C-94F7-231E5F890FC5 (resized).jpeg
20230730_133932 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RavagedUnicorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 8 years ago

Since BOP 2.0 is so expensive, has anyone thought about adding WMS DMD hardware to a BOP and reprogramming the main ROM to output some graphics to the DMD (Maybe with OpenWPC or whatever that software is called for reprogramming WPC games). One of the things I think I dislike most about BOP 2.0 is the new audio. But this way you could keep the old audio chip in place, untouched and it would be a lot cheaper than a BOP 2.0. Just requires someone to do the programming.

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

What you described will basically recreate bop2.0 as you have to replace the same stuff they did to get a dmd running but with used boards. It's not going to be a lot cheaper when you factor in time/labor, Plus paying for programmer.

Wouldn't you only need the DMD and DMD driver board added to your existing board set? This would be significantly cheaper. I was kind of thinking of it more as a fun hobby project. (Not paying a programmer, doing it yourself type of deal). Basically it would be BOP 1.0 with DMD graphics. Not really interested in 2.0 sound or rules.

Main reason I ask, is because I have thought about this, I do a lot of programming, and was wondering if anyone else had thought about doing this or has attempted to. Was pretty fascinated by the work done with the new Demolition Man code in FreeWPC

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Existing boards don't have a way to talk to driver board or possibly power it. So need new CPU board, reimplement all the rules under wpc tools and then invent your dmd animations. Would have to transfer the old roms to new roms(thinking different chip eras between a dmd surrogate, etc ) ? I don't know all the details, but seems involved.

Are you sure about needing a new CPU board? BOP has all the same connectors as my DMD WPC games. And honestly depending on the year, some of them look identical to the BOP CPU board.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Actually, you could do this with WPC by adding a DMD controller BUT you would have to know how to program the WPC system. The hardware is capable, but the code wouldn't know how to address it. You could definitely do it with a P-ROC and a PC (http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p-roc) but you would be starting over on everything or you could use an emulated version and try to mod that somehow.
Another Idea would be to do something like ColorDMD does and interpret what is going to the screen and substitute your own stuff. You would need some sort of processor to do the interpretation and generate a new screen.

I'm pretty sure you can just use FreeWPC to reprogram the ROM in the same way that was done with Demolition Man new code. It'll just need a bit bigger ROM chip and the jumper will have to be moved on the CPU board to support the larger ROM.

I just think it would be ideal if it were as obtainable as possible (Less new hardware, less expense). It may be a bit more difficult using FreeWPC than spending lots of money on P-ROC, but the benefit is that when it is finished it'll be cheap and easy for anyone to convert over.

I'm going to do some experimenting with this.

Oh BTW, "BOP owner here."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.95
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RavagedUnicorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-clubnon-20?tu=RavagedUnicorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.