2 (resized).jpg
20230107_193858 (resized).jpg
BOP_pinbot_values (resized).png
DSC06303 (resized).JPG
DSC06302 (resized).JPG
DSC06301 (resized).JPG
CE093284-D2E7-434C-94F7-231E5F890FC5 (resized).jpeg
20230730_133932 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1319 6 years ago
Quoted from BroMike:

I picked up a Bride a few weeks ago and noticed a couple of the inserts are different than others I've seen. The shuttle decal says: "Shuttle to her head" and the 1 Billion decal has extra wording too "Shoot two consecutive balls up life's ramp". The serial # is pretty low so I'm assuming it was an early production game but I couldn't find anything else about these decals and couldn't find any other pictures of playfields with these? If you zoom in really close it looks like the playfield in this flyer: https://www.thepinballcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/bopflyer2.jpg has these decals. Anyone have any info on these?
FYI - my playfield is pretty torn up as it looks like someone removed the mylar and took 85% of the paint with it

That's very interesting, what's the serial number. Maybe a proto/early art play field then there were rule changes that made text changes required

#1331 6 years ago
Quoted from BroMike:

Serial # 50002 660031

Looks like game 31 off the line, 4th lower known serial number. Likely early preproduction PF. Even beat up I wouldn't change it unless it's cleared as it's to save what's there.

#1332 6 years ago

Dupe

2 months later
#1431 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I'm messing around with blue led bulbs in the back box.. since she is a chrome robot and the color arrangements are set up perfect for chroome..

The only thing that comes to my mind is hideous. But looking at the pinbot next to it, you have a hideous lighting theme going, so umm congrats?

#1436 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh that's nice, we get a new member who's proud of his game and you gotta slam it. One thumbs down from me.

The game is fine, the lighting is terrible.

#1438 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I think being nice is better than just slamming someone for the effort they put into customizing the game to their liking. While I agree that using colored LEDs in the backglass isn't my taste, some people like it. And, for those that do it, this one is done well (I guess). Personally, I like cool whites for BoP.

White light is good, blue is not. I was being nice, you should have seen what I edited out.

#1462 6 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I swear I'm not crazy, I've highlighted the sticker ends that I see in the pic. I also have these on mine under my mylar sheet so just trying to figure out what they are

That's not stickers, that's the insert edges. The inserts are covered in ink partially. Look under the play field, you will see the shape of the insert is different shape than the umm inked area and matches the outline you show

9 months later
#1590 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Don't bother. Just give her a makeover with a set of CPR faces!

the new faces are cut wrong on the holes, they are too big and not angled. you get googly eyes with those faces and balls can fall through them unless you modify them.

#1593 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

All you have to do is transfer the mounting plates for the first two faces with 3m two sided tape.

it does not change the fact they are cut wrong. And a lot of people bought these because they didn't want the old bracket shadow under the face. I don't care either way, just putting the info out there.

#1595 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Yeah, they are totally cut wrong. The originals were also beveled. I looked into altering the face but it was not feasible. One thing that works a little better is 3D printing a transparent or white ABS or PLA.

was brain cramped, when I said angled, I meant beveled.

9 months later
#1678 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you have bubbling over the inserts that means the glue has hardened and when you remover the mylar that will be a bitch to get off and when you do it will take the printing too. Good luck

if you are careful you can keep the insert text after removing hardened glue. just gotta be patient.

#1680 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I don't see how. The hardened glue is a mound on top of the printing. I've tried.

So have I, multiple times, successfully.

1 month later
#1695 4 years ago

The image being present is common. There were no "original decals" these were directly screened on the wood. Some games, I don't remember when, had a white layer applied to the wood and the screening was done on that. but they were not decals.

#1698 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

That’s funny, the decal on my original Bride cabinet has wrinkles under the legs, so how do you explain that? These things were decaled, they were just not like the current, thick vinyl ones, as far as I can tell, but there is some kind of thin “film like”, purple colored, and wrinkled decal on my cabinet. I have personally had to cover the wrinkled, lifting decal edge over with clear packing tape to hold it down while I screwed in the leg bolts on over top of the peeling decal, and this back in the mid nineties when I purchased her off an operator at an auction when she was still in decent shape.

Nope, no decals at the factory level. If yours are actual decals they are replacements. Lots of people think they have decals when they see the white layer but that's a vinyl layer bonded to the wood when the cabinets were built to act as a substrate for the screening. over the last 28 years could it get pushed by loose legs, sure. Still not a decal though.

#1700 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Doesn’t matter to me in the long run since I’m not going to re-decal my cabinet anytime soon. I didn’t buy her to look at the cabinet art anyways...

Good, play your games, don't just look at them. A lot of people here don't seem to understand that.

#1704 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Technically speaking that is still a decal. I have a NOS set of decals for a Sega Manx twin machine which were screen printed decals NOT digital printed copies, right down to having the small white dot "stipple" which is associated with screen printing. Just because the white layer of vinyl was applied to the cab first and then screen printed on does not discount the fact it is still technically speaking a decal!! These cabs were not screen printed/painted directly onto wood (on top of a base coat) like early Bally/Williams games, for Eg: Space Invaders, etc.
To expand further on this, all digitally printed decals of today start off as a white vinyl "substrate" (in a roll) before going through the ink printing process!

no, its in no way a decal. it is printed directly on the parts, there is no graphic sticker being put down. based on that screened print on a primed cabinet is a decal, because that's exactly what the white layer is on old williams cabinets.

#1706 4 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Decals can look beautiful... and frankly, the proof is in the pudding when you see reactions.
I know everyone restores for different reasons...For me it was about the interaction with my son and the shared experience. We've done it twice, once for BoP and again for Future Spa. I don't think most restorers bother with the level of detail in prep for a decal, or the painstaking work to match the colors on the edges, but it was part of the joy with him.
I brought my restorations to GSPF this past weekend. Obviously, after a year of love put into it with my son, deep full restoration (arguably way over the top, but everything to what I would call finished with my OCD), it was terrifying to bring it to a show! However, the flip side, we wanted to share it, because in our house no one can appreciate how it compares to other BoPs.
I think it was a hit. The icing on the cake was watching people play it and get a kick out of playing a brand new looking/brand new feeling BoP. We also added Scorbit to it and the leaderboard aspects were also pretty fun.
Here's a link where a friend/operator took a video an posted it to Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxolPTiHOc4/?igshid=1uuxe14lgs2ts
Here are a couple photos:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

There's nothing wrong with decals. its the option available for a restore.

2 weeks later
#1708 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Had some progress last weekend[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

you're missing the best part of the cabinet, the purple. God the black looks terrible. I don't get why people kill the great art on this game it that.

#1710 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I respectfully disagree. The purple does look good but not everyone is into purple. I think the black looks classic and especially looks great on the cabinet above. Nice work! I am not a purest and i think it's great when people put their own personality into their games.

I'm not into purple, but its the one thing that made that cabinet stand out from the systems 11's before it. i know its wpc, an early one, it looks and plays like an 11. and the cab made you think, hey this is new and different. Most, not all 11's were black cabs with some blues thrown in ES, WW...

#1713 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Yeah, I can relate to your comment but personally I love the black.
The comparison is a bit crooked by the way. With that I mean: I never saw a decent purple cabinet so all purple ones i've seen are bad, faded, dented etc.
There are several reasons I've chosen black over purple:
- for me, black is more beatiful than purple
- black looks better next to my other WPC machines
- my playfield had gotten the blue treatment, black cabinet and head looks better with the playfield.
I understand when someone dislikes my choices but hey, it's my pinball machine.
I am curious on your comment for the technical aspect of my post?

The play field has "the blue treatment" what does that mean blue GI lights?? I hope not, colored GI is never a good choice unless its a programmed mode from the factory.
What do you mean my comment on the technical aspect? Are the decals applied well, looks like it, but if I see a Ferrari that someone has repainted snot green by the best painter in the world it would be a technically good paint job but an aesthetically terrible choice.

#1719 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Ferrari painted snot green. Well, until that point I could relate to your comments but now you make a whole wrong comparison. First, a ferrari is a terrible car, second, if you manage to compare a purple/black BOP to a yellow-red-black/snot green car you're way off as far as I'm concerned.

some ferraris are good, some are bad, I couldnt care less. The point was a technically excellent, but aesthetically awful paint job is still ugly.

4 weeks later
#1740 4 years ago

The purple was variable, there were games with purple cabs and near blue heads. The decals you have look too purple, which ones are they?

#1742 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

My originals on mine are VERY purple, as purple as this... but I took mine out of circulation back in ‘93 and it’s been in a sun-free room ever since. The originals were very vibrant in the day. And without any sun bleaching, they pop just like this.

The originals weren't decals. I'm just curious where those ones came from. PPS next gen, I don't think so they don't look right for those. The new german ones?

#1745 4 years ago

The cabs were directly screened. There was a heat pressed white substrate bonded to the wood. The screening too place on that. Over time leg movement would deform that layer.
There's pics somewhere but I'd have to find them.havent found the pics, but here's the reference.
http://www.flippers.be/pinball_cabinets.html

#1749 4 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Do you intend to repaint the cab before applying the new decals? If so i would use a heat gun and scrape off the white vinyl layer back to bare wood (may need to use an orange based cleaner to remove the residue also) Then you can patch up any holes if needed and get a nice smooth finish before applying the decals.

as a bonus when you heat off the vinyl you'll probably have a really cool ghost image of the graphic on the bare wood.
You can sand or scrape, sanding vinyl probably not going to be a ton of fun. Since this is factory applied vinyl as a primer the bond will be better than a decal and the adhesive is going to be into the wood more from the heat and pressure of the application.

I think Dayhuff had a cool image of this at one time.
actually look at post #1692 in this thread, you can see the same thing.

#1750 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I can’t help you with your question but the head on my pin was definitely silkscreened directly onto wood, and the bottom cabinet is a decal. My head also looked blue/gray when I got it but as I started to sand it down, bright purple was underneath.
Marvin, I don’t know where the decals came from since it came with the pin I bought, but it also came with a new replacement playfield and the original owner mentioned Germany so who knows?

OK I thought the pic with art was after putting decals in after sanding off the existing art. That's why I was asking. As shown above that cab was not a decal but a screened piece. The german playfield is only a few years old. They are nice but can get some cracking on the inserts. It does not affect play, but it can be seen.

#1752 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Sorry, I didn’t make it clear. Along with the game I purchased came a set of decals and a playfield. The person I bought it from was going to restore it but had other projects going on so I now have it. So the head restored does have the new decals on it. When I was sanding the head down, I noticed the purple showing under the gray.

I am going to repaint the cabinet inside and out, after I repair all the damage first of course. This will be the first time applying decals to a cabinet so I want to do the best job I can. The head decals went on well so I’m hoping for the best.

Run your fingers on the new decal, if you feel texture its PPS next gens. be careful they scratch. Those look too purple to be those though. If they are smooth and super glossy they are the new german ones. But I don't think so. They might be the ones that pheonix or someone was doing. or the guy out of europe who was doing them w/o licensing. It don't really matter, it'll be better than a really bad cab was.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 27.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-clubnon-20?tu=Marvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.