Topic Stats

• 1,728 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Jakusu
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 608 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190126_145805 (resized).jpg
A1CD4367-1108-4681-8974-7E89EE8F5FD2 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190516-110946_Facebook (resized).jpg
548FBAE7-994D-4D64-A8EC-76662F5BB171 (resized).jpeg
72682271-EC98-445C-9E6E-799A9A769CA2 (resized).jpeg
3179C535-A98F-48B6-A860-579F8E8E5F24 (resized).jpeg
8B9DB98B-23AB-4267-B719-6E6080904FB2 (resized).jpeg
8D2C1E53-D399-4B8F-8F49-C67C19C6463A (resized).jpeg
DBB3C4F7-1419-49AC-8A3E-9FF12FF8DB3E (resized).jpeg
IMG_6082 (resized).JPG
IMG_6089 2 (resized).JPG
bop14 (resized).jpg
bop15 (resized).jpg
bop13 (resized).jpg
bop11 (resized).jpg
bop12 (resized).jpg

There are 1728 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 35.
#1701 28 days ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Good, play your games, don't just look at them. A lot of people here don't seem to understand that.

So true, seems they are worried they loose some kind of street cred if the game has a single scratch or (god forbid) a dimple...

#1702 27 days ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Lots of people think they have decals when they see the white layer but that's a vinyl layer bonded to the wood when the cabinets were built to act as a substrate for the screening.

Technically speaking that is still a decal. I have a NOS set of decals for a Sega Manx twin machine which were screen printed decals NOT digital printed copies, right down to having the small white dot "stipple" which is associated with screen printing. Just because the white layer of vinyl was applied to the cab first and then screen printed on does not discount the fact it is still technically speaking a decal!! These cabs were not screen printed/painted directly onto wood (on top of a base coat) like early Bally/Williams games, for Eg: Space Invaders, etc.
To expand further on this, all digitally printed decals of today start off as a white vinyl "substrate" (in a roll) before going through the ink printing process!

#1703 27 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

So true, seems they are worried they loose some kind of street cred if the game has a single scratch or (god forbid) a dimple...

For me part of the hobby is to restore my pins to a state that I like them. Afterwards I can enjoy playing them because I know they will never get as much play as when they were in the field. That keeps my restored game pristine so I can enjoy them so much longer. A restored game gives me more pleasure than a crapp looking game. This BOP was in fairly poor condition but I enjoyed playing it. Now after restoring it I will enjoy it more.

After all the years of collecting, restoring, repairing and playing I found that the following is my game:
- find a reasonable game for a reasonable price
- play it and decide if it fits my collection
- if not, sell it
- if so, start hoarding parts, ramps and plastics are mandatory
- restore the machine to MY standards
- add it to the collection and play it

So far I did this to my TZ, FH and now my BOP is getting the same treatment. Only BTTF has left after restoring.

#1704 27 days ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Technically speaking that is still a decal. I have a NOS set of decals for a Sega Manx twin machine which were screen printed decals NOT digital printed copies, right down to having the small white dot "stipple" which is associated with screen printing. Just because the white layer of vinyl was applied to the cab first and then screen printed on does not discount the fact it is still technically speaking a decal!! These cabs were not screen printed/painted directly onto wood (on top of a base coat) like early Bally/Williams games, for Eg: Space Invaders, etc.
To expand further on this, all digitally printed decals of today start off as a white vinyl "substrate" (in a roll) before going through the ink printing process!

no, its in no way a decal. it is printed directly on the parts, there is no graphic sticker being put down. based on that screened print on a primed cabinet is a decal, because that's exactly what the white layer is on old williams cabinets.

#1705 27 days ago

Decals can look beautiful... and frankly, the proof is in the pudding when you see reactions.

I know everyone restores for different reasons...For me it was about the interaction with my son and the shared experience. We've done it twice, once for BoP and again for Future Spa. I don't think most restorers bother with the level of detail in prep for a decal, or the painstaking work to match the colors on the edges, but it was part of the joy with him.

I brought my restorations to GSPF this past weekend. Obviously, after a year of love put into it with my son, deep full restoration (arguably way over the top, but everything to what I would call finished with my OCD), it was terrifying to bring it to a show! However, the flip side, we wanted to share it, because in our house no one can appreciate how it compares to other BoPs.

I think it was a hit. The icing on the cake was watching people play it and get a kick out of playing a brand new looking/brand new feeling BoP. We also added Scorbit to it and the leaderboard aspects were also pretty fun.

Here's a link where a friend/operator took a video an posted it to Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxolPTiHOc4/?igshid=1uuxe14lgs2ts

Here are a couple photos:

IMG_6082 (resized).JPG

IMG_6089 2 (resized).JPG

#1706 27 days ago
Quoted from jsa:

Decals can look beautiful... and frankly, the proof is in the pudding when you see reactions.
I know everyone restores for different reasons...For me it was about the interaction with my son and the shared experience. We've done it twice, once for BoP and again for Future Spa. I don't think most restorers bother with the level of detail in prep for a decal, or the painstaking work to match the colors on the edges, but it was part of the joy with him.
I brought my restorations to GSPF this past weekend. Obviously, after a year of love put into it with my son, deep full restoration (arguably way over the top, but everything to what I would call finished with my OCD), it was terrifying to bring it to a show! However, the flip side, we wanted to share it, because in our house no one can appreciate how it compares to other BoPs.
I think it was a hit. The icing on the cake was watching people play it and get a kick out of playing a brand new looking/brand new feeling BoP. We also added Scorbit to it and the leaderboard aspects were also pretty fun.
Here's a link where a friend/operator took a video an posted it to Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxolPTiHOc4/?igshid=1uuxe14lgs2ts
Here are a couple photos:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

There's nothing wrong with decals. its the option available for a restore.

2 weeks later
#1707 8 days ago

Had some progress last weekend

3179C535-A98F-48B6-A860-579F8E8E5F24 (resized).jpeg8B9DB98B-23AB-4267-B719-6E6080904FB2 (resized).jpeg8D2C1E53-D399-4B8F-8F49-C67C19C6463A (resized).jpegDBB3C4F7-1419-49AC-8A3E-9FF12FF8DB3E (resized).jpeg
#1708 8 days ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Had some progress last weekend[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

you're missing the best part of the cabinet, the purple. God the black looks terrible. I don't get why people kill the great art on this game it that.

#1709 8 days ago
Quoted from Marvin:

you're missing the best part of the cabinet, the purple. God the black looks terrible. I don't get why people kill the great art on this game it that.

I respectfully disagree. The purple does look good but not everyone is into purple. I think the black looks classic and especially looks great on the cabinet above. Nice work! I am not a purest and i think it's great when people put their own personality into their games.

#1710 8 days ago
Quoted from Scoot:

I respectfully disagree. The purple does look good but not everyone is into purple. I think the black looks classic and especially looks great on the cabinet above. Nice work! I am not a purest and i think it's great when people put their own personality into their games.

I'm not into purple, but its the one thing that made that cabinet stand out from the systems 11's before it. i know its wpc, an early one, it looks and plays like an 11. and the cab made you think, hey this is new and different. Most, not all 11's were black cabs with some blues thrown in ES, WW...

#1711 7 days ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Yeah, I can relate to your comment but personally I love the black.
The comparison is a bit crooked by the way. With that I mean: I never saw a decent purple cabinet so all purple ones i've seen are bad, faded, dented etc.

There are several reasons I've chosen black over purple:
- for me, black is more beatiful than purple
- black looks better next to my other WPC machines
- my playfield had gotten the blue treatment, black cabinet and head looks better with the playfield.

I understand when someone dislikes my choices but hey, it's my pinball machine.

I am curious on your comment for the technical aspect of my post?

#1712 7 days ago

Progress

548FBAE7-994D-4D64-A8EC-76662F5BB171 (resized).jpeg72682271-EC98-445C-9E6E-799A9A769CA2 (resized).jpeg
#1713 7 days ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Yeah, I can relate to your comment but personally I love the black.
The comparison is a bit crooked by the way. With that I mean: I never saw a decent purple cabinet so all purple ones i've seen are bad, faded, dented etc.
There are several reasons I've chosen black over purple:
- for me, black is more beatiful than purple
- black looks better next to my other WPC machines
- my playfield had gotten the blue treatment, black cabinet and head looks better with the playfield.
I understand when someone dislikes my choices but hey, it's my pinball machine.
I am curious on your comment for the technical aspect of my post?

The play field has "the blue treatment" what does that mean blue GI lights?? I hope not, colored GI is never a good choice unless its a programmed mode from the factory.
What do you mean my comment on the technical aspect? Are the decals applied well, looks like it, but if I see a Ferrari that someone has repainted snot green by the best painter in the world it would be a technically good paint job but an aesthetically terrible choice.

#1714 7 days ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Had some progress last weekend

I love the shine and black color honestly, but it would drive me nuts that the side and front decals don't meet at the edge.
Somewhat less noticeable than it would be if it were purple, b/c color matching purple is hard, but still a distraction.

#1715 7 days ago

Finally joining the club!
Quick question: where can I find the decal that's on top of the helmet?

#1716 7 days ago
Quoted from Marvin:

The play field has "the blue treatment" what does that mean blue GI lights?? I hope not, colored GI is never a good choice unless its a programmed mode from the factory.
What do you mean my comment on the technical aspect? Are the decals applied well, looks like it, but if I see a Ferrari that someone has repainted snot green by the best painter in the world it would be a technically good paint job but an aesthetically terrible choice.

Read it back, some pics were attached.

#1717 7 days ago
Quoted from Marvin:

Ferrari painted snot green. Well, until that point I could relate to your comments but now you make a whole wrong comparison. First, a ferrari is a terrible car, second, if you manage to compare a purple/black BOP to a yellow-red-black/snot green car you're way off as far as I'm concerned.

#1718 7 days ago

Here is mine being worked on.

Screenshot_20190516-110946_Facebook (resized).jpg
#1719 7 days ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Ferrari painted snot green. Well, until that point I could relate to your comments but now you make a whole wrong comparison. First, a ferrari is a terrible car, second, if you manage to compare a purple/black BOP to a yellow-red-black/snot green car you're way off as far as I'm concerned.

some ferraris are good, some are bad, I couldnt care less. The point was a technically excellent, but aesthetically awful paint job is still ugly.

#1720 7 days ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Finally joining the club!
Quick question: where can I find the decal that's on top of the helmet?

Hey there Nihonmasa , welcome to the club!
Here you go
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-2-50002-1

#1721 6 days ago

Thx Devilsmuse, will look in Europe, being in Switzerland Marco's charging 50$ for shipping the sticker alone...

#1722 6 days ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Here is mine being worked on.[quoted image]

I love the 2.0 decals, adds a nice flair to them. I have them for my game too......when I get a chance to work on it. LOL

#1723 6 days ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Here is mine being worked on.[quoted image]

Very nice work sir.

#1724 6 days ago

Yes , those BOP 2.0 decals are sweet

#1725 6 days ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Thx Devilsmuse, will look in Europe, being in Switzerland Marco's charging 50$ for shipping the sticker alone...

Hey let me know if you have any luck finding it in Switzerland. If not I will buy the decal and send it to you. Postage from the USA to Switzerland for 1oz. is 1.15 USD.

#1726 2 days ago

Guess which pin was just added to my lineup?

A1CD4367-1108-4681-8974-7E89EE8F5FD2 (resized).jpeg
#1727 2 days ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Guess which pin was just added to my lineup?[quoted image]

Euhm, Funhouse?

#1728 1 day ago

Love the black looks great and nice jobI went black but modified some aspects.
About to do a custom playfield with some subtle changes as well.

20190126_145805 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
$ 279.95
£ 55.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 279.95
£ 79.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Oceanside, CA
$ 28.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plainfield, IL
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
There are 1728 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside