Topic Stats

• 1,753 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Scoot
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 623 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190707_193051 (resized).jpg
20190705_144415 (resized).jpg
306FEB87-DB11-4E8F-96FE-2964C2460A2C (resized).jpeg
DF9FB419-1A2E-4A73-872F-FEED220068B2 (resized).jpeg
A63E971F-E287-4682-B1D5-3A064B36D45F (resized).jpeg
2B39D8C8-6865-48DC-8672-36618A21C3DC (resized).jpeg
5B2869B6-A77E-4AC9-B5C9-2A1B4480A64F (resized).jpeg
82AFE522-2BDF-4A7E-B5DB-E9D3B12E4B46 (resized).jpeg
F93C850B-C650-422B-909F-AAA4F3B9E923 (resized).jpeg
CE54587B-3131-440D-ABDE-1F2A42E08D8E (resized).jpeg
870C5AF3-1A03-41B8-A105-DDB1B1395D17 (resized).jpeg
D9047CDD-1F5E-4AE5-95F6-0B2FCD095E3A (resized).jpeg
1F43BB40-4483-44F0-9EC7-D225D166175F (resized).jpeg
7C582773-11CF-408D-9008-46548D8919DB (resized).jpeg
824B1577-394B-40F5-95C2-D96C5F2B3A3A (resized).jpeg
20190126_145805 (resized).jpg

There are 1753 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 36.
#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

This is an odd piece especially given that I couldn't recall whether or not my machine has one. Indeed, my BOP doesn't have it either and I can't remember having to need it (although the foto above suggests someone thought it was necessary to add a screw in this location). Given the responses here and my impressions after browsing fotos online, it seems that some machines have it and others don't. Wonder if it was something included on early machines during initial production run and then left off later ones (or vice versa)...?

If I had to guess, it was added to later production games as a "bug fix" to airballs getting stuck in that area. I guess we could probably make a better educated guess on it if we compared dates of games with it and without. The fact that I didn't find it detailed in the Red book tends to support this hypothesis that it was added mid production run.

#1252 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

This is an odd piece especially given that I couldn't recall whether or not my machine has one. Indeed, my BOP doesn't have it either and I can't remember having to need it (although the foto above suggests someone thought it was necessary to add a screw in this location). Given the responses here and my impressions after browsing fotos online, it seems that some machines have it and others don't. Wonder if it was something included on early machines during initial production run and then left off later ones (or vice versa)...?

Interesting. My game doesn't have one.

#1253 2 years ago

I'd say it was on all of them, the ones with it missing had the lock light replace. In order to do that you have to take of the plastic lock cover. That metal piece is just sandwiched between the plastic and the wire form. Trading of the plastic usually results in dropping that piece in the pf. And putting it back together you have to skip it in between carefully then hold it in place with the plastic cover while getting the screw started. Easier to leave it off, then lose it back in the days of the game being routed.

Added over 3 years ago: nevermind this is completely wrong. I'm not verified so I must have been trolling and lying. Gotta stop with posting help...

#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

That's awesome info! Thanks much. Any guess as to how thick it is?

Looks to be about 1/8" thick to me.

My game on IPSND is the 4th from the bottom of the USA run (for people who have entered theirs) so possibly a later one. http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=1502

The end of my playfield is stamped June 24th, 1991. Machine #5000 266 2513

#1255 2 years ago

Date on my pf is 4/17/91. She's a reimport and did not have the piece in question when I obtained her.

#1256 2 years ago

Every time I turn the game on, it wants me to check the switch for Enter Head. I check the switch, it defaults to open and seems to close when I run a ball through it no problem. I then return to game and the credit dot goes away. All is well, then next time I power cycle it, same thing, check switch, Enter Head.

Am I missing something? I assume the system knows something is wrong because when it should be registering an Enter Head it's not, or something... but I can't seem to figure out what is wrong to fix it.

#1257 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Date on my pf is 4/17/91. She's a reimport and did not have the piece in question when I obtained her.

Mine is a reimport also. The pf is stamped 4 16 91 on the coin door end. The metal piece in question is on mine and was on it when the previous owner bought it 5 years ago.

As a side note, I got my ramp protectors today from Cliff (very nice guy to deal with) and they work a treat. I can now watch my ball go halfway up the protected ramps and then drain right down the middle......as Williams intended!

#1258 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Every time I turn the game on, it wants me to check the switch for Enter Head. I check the switch, it defaults to open and seems to close when I run a ball through it no problem. I then return to game and the credit dot goes away. All is well, then next time I power cycle it, same thing, check switch, Enter Head.
Am I missing something? I assume the system knows something is wrong because when it should be registering an Enter Head it's not, or something... but I can't seem to figure out what is wrong to fix it.

Bump to the above question, plus a video. Here is my restored BoP with LED & GI OCD boards installed. In this case, we've installed incandescents into the helmet (as the OCD boards can't work on those lights due to the helmet controller board), and we've increased the GI OCD board F3 to a 4A fuse to handle the additional load.

#1259 2 years ago

Time-lapse video of our teardown and reassembly:

#1260 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Man that is AWESOME I'd fire your cat though, spent most of the time sleeping on the job and didn't seem to give a rat's arse about the rebuild

#1261 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Wow! How much time involved and how many photos were taken?

#1262 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Wow! How much time involved and how many photos were taken?

I turned the camera on when I was working, though I forgot a few times. In total, there were 29302 photos taken, one every five seconds. If you do the math, this equates to about 40 hours of actual work on the playfield in total. My guess is that it was closer to 45/50. Remember, this was my first playfield swap, so my reassembly took way longer than if I had a ton of experience under my belt.

I also took hundreds, if not thousands, of photos with my phone as I went. Originally I tried doing this with a better camera (Cannon 5D) but the lighting and depth of field made it impractical with the lens I had.

#1263 2 years ago

A very nice video indeed! The cat was the co-star of the video and seemed to have helped....not at all. Thanks for posting it and congratulations on a beautiful bride.

#1264 2 years ago
Quoted from Catalyze:

A very nice video indeed! The cat was the co-star of the video and seemed to have helped....not at all. Thanks for posting it and congratulations on a beautiful bride.

Thanks. Ripley (the cat star of the show) needs some exercise. I found her inside my Theatre of Magic yesterday, sleeping. Never leave your pinball machines open, folks.

#1265 2 years ago

Great job guys and thanks for sharing. Here is to Ripley and the ghost towel (appearing at 4:58 in the video)!

#1266 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

» YouTube video

You need to also put that video in the
Cats and pinballs... thread!

#1267 2 years ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

You need to also put that video in the
Cats and pinballs... thread!

I had no idea such a thread existed. Pinside, you never cease to amaze.

#1268 2 years ago

Today I did 2 pinball related things:
1. I received and installed my new backglass from CPR
2. I replaced my board batteries and put a new date label on them and the inside of the coin door. The previous owner used the same label method every year he owned the game....thank Goodness.

The new backglass is gorgeous and I really like the look over my old translite. Now I need to figure out what to do with an old translite. So if anybody could use one in good condition, let me know.

The battery replacement was a Learning Experience. My BOP was an export model when produced. So...... when you take out the batteries guess what you have when you start up? That's right....German!! So off to Google to translate Drucker and Einstellung and fun words I never knew. Finally I got to E.1 21 .......French, English, German.....and suddenly everything was back to English. Also, I did come up with a nice way to remove/replace the batteries. I have fat, callused fingers and didn't want to start prying in there with a screwdriver. So I used a pair of spark plug boot pliers. They are insulated and grip a AA battery perfectly. The photos aren't the best but you get the idea.

Plug Pliers1 (resized).JPG

Plug Pliers2 (resized).JPG

#1269 2 years ago
Quoted from Catalyze:

My BOP was an export model when produced. So...... when you take out the batteries guess what you have when you start up?

If you replace the batteries whilst the machine is on (carefully) you don't revert back to factory settings. BUT anyhoo, you've got it sorted now I can't recommend changing to NVRam enough, banged on about this many times and i'm still banging on Forget battery changing forever!!! Worth the money and the only drawback i can mention is if you might need to get the Ram chip space socketed (some of the original Ram's were soldered directly to the board, depends on machine).

#1270 2 years ago
Quoted from Catalyze:

The new backglass is gorgeous and I really like the look over my old translite.

I have one too, it's really nice.

#1271 2 years ago

I'm happy with my new backglass as well. I now have the NVRAM on my MPU. It's all operating really perfectly. I'm really hesitant to do the 2.0 upgrade because I'm loving the game so much as it is.

#1272 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

'm really hesitant to do the 2.0 upgrade because I'm loving the game so much as it is.

I'm not going to do 2.0 because it is very expensive.

#1273 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I'm not going to do 2.0 because it is very expensive.

That is the most legit reason. In my case, I'm a stickler for OCD level restorations. It comes from my upbringing in Detroit. You don't upgrade a vintage car with a new model wheel or engine. Pinball feels similar to me. However, I do love playing 2.0, so I think eventually I'll cave, but first I'm going to play the 1.0 until I master it.

#1274 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

You don't upgrade a vintage car with a new model wheel or engine.

Oh yes you do....see my avatar picture. That's a '70 Mustang.

#1275 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm happy with my new backglass as well. I now have the NVRAM on my MPU. It's all operating really perfectly. I'm really hesitant to do the 2.0 upgrade because I'm loving the game so much as it is.

Is there a thread on doing the nvram upgrade?

#1276 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Is there a thread on doing the nvram upgrade?

Have a look at the Ram chip on your CPU board, if it's already socketed and not soldered to the board it's a simple matter of removing the original Ram chip and replacing with the NVRam chip

2 weeks later
#1277 2 years ago

Have these left over from a full rebuild.

Cliffy Enhanced Flipper Frames and Premium Post Sleeves $30 shipped

Pinball Bulbs purple speaker light kit $30 shipped

IMG_7753 (resized).JPG

IMG_7752 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1278 2 years ago

Well, finally started on my BOP!
I have had this one for over 6 years now and it is in a very bad state.
Made it technically complete now and fully operational.

I managed to get a new playfield for her, regretfully it needed more work than I had hoped. But everything is better than my current playfield! (see pic)

I allready removed the mylar and the glue, all went very well.

I'll try and post some pics in a different thread about it.

Glad to have her!

image-30-01-2017_20-43-28 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1279 2 years ago

So I finally got around to installing the playfield protector.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/kVhQbtXUGUKXzln-Rn4Uog?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=The%20Machine%3A%20Bride%20of%20Pin%C2%B7bot%20%7C%201991

I previously installed protectors on my Firepower and Sorcerer.
The good news: Fit is prefect, no trimming at all. Game plays sharp and quick with the protector installed. Playfield has a new shine that looks almost like new clearcoat.
The bad news (sort of): Much more work to install than the other games I did. Plan to completely shop the game, clean everything, and change the rubbers while you are at it. Both ramps, the wireform, the mini-playfield, and the helmet all need to come off. The install took about four hours, but someone who has torn down the game before could do it much more quickly. The ball return frames need to come off, and if your game is like mine, the machine screws are going to be lock-tighted into the t-nuts under the playfield. You'll need to replace the machine screws and t-nuts after you snap the old screws off. And two of the t-nuts are under the flipper mounting brackets, so those need to come off too.

Still have to tweak a couple of switches and get the spinner tuned up again, but looks great and plays great.

#1280 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

So I finally got around to installing the playfield protector.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/kVhQbtXUGUKXzln-Rn4Uog?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=The%20Machine%3A%20Bride%20of%20Pin%C2%B7bot%20%7C%201991
I previously installed protectors on my Firepower and Sorcerer.
The good news: Fit is prefect, no trimming at all. Game plays sharp and quick with the protector installed. Playfield has a new shine that looks almost like new clearcoat.
The bad news (sort of): Much more work to install than the other games I did. Plan to completely shop the game, clean everything, and change the rubbers while you are at it. Both ramps, the wireform, the mini-playfield, and the helmet all need to come off. The install took about four hours, but someone who has torn down the game before could do it much more quickly. The ball return frames need to come off, and if your game is like mine, the machine screws are going to be lock-tighted into the t-nuts under the playfield. You'll need to replace the machine screws and t-nuts after you snap the old screws off. And two of the t-nuts are under the flipper mounting brackets, so those need to come off too.
Still have to tweak a couple of switches and get the spinner tuned up again, but looks great and plays great.

If you will heat up the t nuts with your soldering iron for about 15 seconds, then start removing the screw slowly, the locktite will soften and let loose so you don't break anything

#1281 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

If you will heat up the t nuts with your soldering iron for about 15 seconds, then start removing the screw slowly, the locktite will soften and let loose so you don't break anything

Yeah, but by the time I realized what was going on, I had already snapped two of the six off. At that point I was short on patience. Snapping the rest off was sort of therapeutic.

1 week later
#1283 2 years ago

I know that the 2.0 upgrade is expensive but I have to say, it's really like a whole new game. Mine is, like a whole new game since the re-decal and translite additions. I have to love both though, Python was a friend and BOP meant a lot to him.

#1284 2 years ago

Just spotted this on FB >>>> https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/news-dutch-pinball-unveils-bride-of-pinbot-25th-anniversary-news-about-big-le

My initial reactions are... Translite? OMG it's bloody hideous, some may like it, that's ok, does nothing for me.
The artwork for the redesigned playfield......Bleeeggggghhhh, definitely NOT keen.
Price..... Are you freckin kidding me???????? and that is, i presume, US dollars, over here in Oz after converting to our crap dollar and all the added extras, that would be closer to 14 Grand BUGGER THAT !!!

#1285 2 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Just spotted this on FB >>>> https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/news-dutch-pinball-unveils-bride-of-pinbot-25th-anniversary-news-about-big-le
My initial reactions are... Translite? OMG it's bloody hideous, some may like it, that's ok, does nothing for me.
The artwork for the redesigned playfield......Bleeeggggghhhh, definitely NOT keen.
Price..... Are you freckin kidding me???????? and that is, i presume, US dollars, over here in Oz after converting to our crap dollar and all the added extras, that would be closer to 14 Grand BUGGER THAT !!!

Yeah my impression also. With TBL STILL in limbo people are crazy mad. My money is safe.

#1286 2 years ago

...I just bought the 2.0 kit, I'm a little hesitant of installing it

#1287 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

...I just bought the 2.0 kit, I'm a little hesitant of installing it

???

#1288 2 years ago

I think I'll hold it for a week and see, maybe longer, it was spendy

2 weeks later
#1290 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

BOP 3D tl is next one to be done.

Which one to go with though MP? i know you've mentioned having the CPR mirrored glass version and so have i. It's hard to make a call until the 3D version is revealed of course. Look forward to the unveiling

#1291 2 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Which one to go with though MP? i know you've mentioned having the CPR mirrored glass version and so have i. It's hard to make a call until the 3D version is revealed of course. Look forward to the unveiling

I have no idea what I'll do, I payed good money for the mirrored one.

#1292 2 years ago

Mine has a new translite that looks beautiful, hard to want to replace it

#1293 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have no idea what I'll do, I payed good money for the mirrored one.

Amen to that. I don't know how it could be nicer than the mirrored version from CPR. The 3D ones I've seen in person were cool but I don't think I'd buy one as they just felt blurry to me. May be because of my viewing angle though but I wasn't nearly as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

Quoted from TKDalumni:

Cliffy Enhanced Flipper Frames

Not familiar with this. What is it's purpose? I'm assuming it replaces the inlane metal piece to maybe help with flipper hop but that's just a shot in the dark.

#1294 2 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The 3D ones I've seen in person were cool but I don't think I'd buy one as they just felt blurry to me. May be because of my viewing angle though but I wasn't nearly as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

The new RFM tl is waaaay cool. The 3D topic has a vid and PPS has them for sale now. I'm gettin that one for sure, it has almost 50 layers.

#1295 2 years ago

Anyone have any good looking scorecards or instructions cards? Thanks!

#1296 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Anyone have any good looking scorecards or instructions cards? Thanks!

PM me

#1297 2 years ago

Thanks I just found some online and print them..

4 weeks later
#1298 2 years ago

BOP is my first and , so far, only personal machine. I've had it for 4 months and it resets my brain everyday after work. I'm a novice on the technical side but I've been able to make all my own repairs with a little help from the Internet. I just replaced the right flipper diode; it's the first time in 30 years I've picked up a soldering iron. I'm looking forward to reading this whole thread.

001 (resized).jpg

#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

BOP is my first and , so far, only personal machine. I've had it for 4 months and it resets my brain everyday after work. I'm a novice on the technical side but I've been able to make all my own repairs with a little help from the Internet. I just replaced the right flipper diode; it's the first time in 30 years I've picked up a soldering iron. I'm looking forward to reading this whole thread.

Welcome to the club Tim! I've had my BOP for the past year and am satisfied so far with 1.0 and just one machine (plus can't afford the funds or space for another!). I agree that playing is a great way to leave behind the stresses of the day. I also enjoy fixing the small things that tend to break (had to replace the heartbeat switch over the weekend!) or just need replaced to keep it in good shape (put in new ramps after getting mine). There are tons of good resources in this topic (I too read it in its entirety last year) and others and Pinside has tons of good citizens who are interested in helping.

Also looks like you have a nice flyer collection--BF, TSOL, Hüsker Dü, Minutemen, BH Surfers, Vandals, Toy Dolls (good lord, haven't thought about them in a while--I should look them up for my teenage son!), etc.

#1300 2 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

Hey Welcome to the club. You plan on having more games?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 28.00
$ 9.99
£ 79.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 50.00
There are 1753 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside