2 (resized).jpg
20230107_193858 (resized).jpg
BOP_pinbot_values (resized).png
DSC06303 (resized).JPG
DSC06302 (resized).JPG
DSC06301 (resized).JPG
CE093284-D2E7-434C-94F7-231E5F890FC5 (resized).jpeg
20230730_133932 (resized).jpg

There are 2,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 54.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

What you described will basically recreate bop2.0 as you have to replace the same stuff they did to get a dmd running but with used boards. It's not going to be a lot cheaper when you factor in time/labor, Plus paying for programmer.

Wouldn't you only need the DMD and DMD driver board added to your existing board set? This would be significantly cheaper. I was kind of thinking of it more as a fun hobby project. (Not paying a programmer, doing it yourself type of deal). Basically it would be BOP 1.0 with DMD graphics. Not really interested in 2.0 sound or rules.

Main reason I ask, is because I have thought about this, I do a lot of programming, and was wondering if anyone else had thought about doing this or has attempted to. Was pretty fascinated by the work done with the new Demolition Man code in FreeWPC

#52 8 years ago

Existing boards don't have a way to talk to driver board or possibly power it. So need new CPU board, reimplement all the rules under wpc tools and then invent your dmd animations. Would have to transfer the old roms to new roms(thinking different chip eras between a dmd surrogate, etc ) ? I don't know all the details, but seems involved.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Existing boards don't have a way to talk to driver board or possibly power it. So need new CPU board, reimplement all the rules under wpc tools and then invent your dmd animations. Would have to transfer the old roms to new roms(thinking different chip eras between a dmd surrogate, etc ) ? I don't know all the details, but seems involved.

Are you sure about needing a new CPU board? BOP has all the same connectors as my DMD WPC games. And honestly depending on the year, some of them look identical to the BOP CPU board.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from RavagedUnicorn:

Wouldn't you only need the DMD and DMD driver board added to your existing board set? This would be significantly cheaper. I was kind of thinking of it more as a fun hobby project. (Not paying a programmer, doing it yourself type of deal). Basically it would be BOP 1.0 with DMD graphics. Not really interested in 2.0 sound or rules.
Main reason I ask, is because I have thought about this, I do a lot of programming, and was wondering if anyone else had thought about doing this or has attempted to. Was pretty fascinated by the work done with the new Demolition Man code in FreeWPC

Sounds like a fun project for you if you have the skills to do it. Keep us informed. If it works I'd be interested in one.

#55 8 years ago

Am I positive, no. However I did find this link that seems to lay out things:

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/232-wpc-board-versions

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from RavagedUnicorn:

Are you sure about needing a new CPU board? BOP has all the same connectors as my DMD WPC games. And honestly depending on the year, some of them look identical to the BOP CPU board.

Actually, you could do this with WPC by adding a DMD controller BUT you would have to know how to program the WPC system. The hardware is capable, but the code wouldn't know how to address it. You could definitely do it with a P-ROC and a PC (http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p-roc) but you would be starting over on everything or you could use an emulated version and try to mod that somehow.

Another Idea would be to do something like ColorDMD does and interpret what is going to the screen and substitute your own stuff. You would need some sort of processor to do the interpretation and generate a new screen.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Actually, you could do this with WPC by adding a DMD controller BUT you would have to know how to program the WPC system. The hardware is capable, but the code wouldn't know how to address it. You could definitely do it with a P-ROC and a PC (http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p-roc) but you would be starting over on everything or you could use an emulated version and try to mod that somehow.
Another Idea would be to do something like ColorDMD does and interpret what is going to the screen and substitute your own stuff. You would need some sort of processor to do the interpretation and generate a new screen.

I'm pretty sure you can just use FreeWPC to reprogram the ROM in the same way that was done with Demolition Man new code. It'll just need a bit bigger ROM chip and the jumper will have to be moved on the CPU board to support the larger ROM.

I just think it would be ideal if it were as obtainable as possible (Less new hardware, less expense). It may be a bit more difficult using FreeWPC than spending lots of money on P-ROC, but the benefit is that when it is finished it'll be cheap and easy for anyone to convert over.

I'm going to do some experimenting with this.

Oh BTW, "BOP owner here."

#59 8 years ago

I have the CPR mirrored Backglass in my BoP and was wondering what kind of lamps/lighting would look best? I had LEDs in the original translite but they don't seem to look very good with the mirrored backglass, at least with the ones I was using.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I have the CPR mirrored Backglass in my BoP and was wondering what kind of lamps/lighting would look best? I had LEDs in the original translite but they don't seem to look very good with the mirrored backglass, at least with the ones I was using.

I have the mirrored glass too and I use Comet frosted bulbs, looks great to me.

#61 8 years ago

I was troubleshooting my upper playfield issue where the multiballs are being released on top of each other. I pulled the wire ball release assembly and inspected it. Attached is a video of the wire ball holder soenoid test. I thought maybe the rod was binding against the steel guide and not allowing it to return. So i took it apart, sanded the guide, and polished it as well as the shaft. I also resoldered what seemed to be a loose connection. None of this solved the issue though. Could it be a bad solenoid??? Appreciate your help!!

VIDEO OF WIRE BALL HOLDER SOLENOID TEST:

#62 8 years ago

I think your issue is likely a misadjusted switch for one of the two switches for the lock located above that mechanism. I had mine do the simotanious release like that and it was that.

#63 8 years ago

Agree, definitely check the switches with a ball to make sure they are registering closed in switch edges test to rule the switches out as a problem. THis problem is also common on the Getaway hideout ball lock area and causes both balls to release at the same time.

#64 8 years ago

Ok thx ill check that. Did you watch the video on the coil test? It is supposed to keep buzzing likevthat? Seems like the coil should retract on the coil test, no?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Ok thx ill check that. Did you watch the video on the coil test? It is supposed to keep buzzing likevthat? Seems like the coil should retract on the coil test, no?

I think you are right. Mine does retract during test, the same as it would in game. When does it ever retract?

#66 8 years ago

It finally retracts about 5-10 seconds after i stop the coil test. Weird. Intermittently it retracts normally on the coil test as well...

2 weeks later
#67 8 years ago

In the club! Looking for new plastics if anyone can help?

2 weeks later
#68 8 years ago

I'm in!! Picked up my BoP a week ago last Sunday! Suppositly just shopped and ready to go, heh, right. Already I've fixed a head orientation issue, replaced the mixed black and white rubbers with new 'clear' rubbers, bought new pop bumper tops for the missing ones, and ordered some LED's (like for the pop bumpers so I don't have to take off the pinbot playfield again). Waiting on the LED's to arrive.

Started cleaning and waxing the playfield. It's looking nice. I do have an issue with 4 bonus lights on the left side of the playfield not lighting, but I'll post a question on that soon.

Tom

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from SpaceWar:

I'm in!! Picked up my BoP a week ago last Sunday! Suppositly just shopped and ready to go, heh, right. Already I've fixed a head orientation issue, replaced the mixed black and white rubbers with new 'clear' rubbers, bought new pop bumper tops for the missing ones, and ordered some LED's (like for the pop bumpers so I don't have to take off the pinbot playfield again). Waiting on the LED's to arrive.
Started cleaning and waxing the playfield. It's looking nice. I do have an issue with 4 bonus lights on the left side of the playfield not lighting, but I'll post a question on that soon.
Tom

Hey Tom great to have you in the club. As a suggestion I put red Jewel pop caps on with Comet red top and white bottom led rings on mine and it REALLY does a great job lighting up the pf pops area and the mini pf. I like the clear rubbers idea. Post some pictures when ya can.

#70 8 years ago

I'm in.

DSC01912.jpgDSC01912.jpg

DSC01910.jpgDSC01910.jpg

#71 8 years ago

Fixed the 4 bonus lights issue last night, bad solder joints on the board. Got other non-working insert lights working too. Almost done!

Question about the 'head'... when I manage to get it to rotate to the 3rd face, it will only stay there for like 10 or 15 seconds before I hear...'Im loosing it' and it turns back to the eye holes face. No way I can make that shot in less time than 15 secs! Is there some kind of time adjustment setting on the head rotation? I'd like to make it at least 30 or 40 seconds.

The clear rubbers look awesome and play great. It won't be in my pin lineup for a few weeks, but I'll see if I can post a few pics of it by itself this weekend.

Thanks
Tom

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from SpaceWar:

Question about the 'head'... when I manage to get it to rotate to the 3rd face, it will only stay there for like 10 or 15 seconds before I hear...'Im loosing it' and it turns back to the eye holes face. No way I can make that shot in less time than 15 secs! Is there some kind of time adjustment setting on the head rotation? I'd like to make it at least 30 or 40 seconds.

You have a switch issue somewhere. I'm going to guess in the trough or one of the outlane switches, as this is what she says when you lose one of the two balls ending your change to get them both locked again. I would suspect that you'd have other similar issues during a game with a stuck switch.

Go into switch edge test and test all the switches with a ball rolling over the actuator wires. Test right and left outlane switches and each trough switch specifically. Check for an actuator wire binding on the side of the playfield or one that is gummed up and not indicating that it opens/closes on the display.

#73 8 years ago

Just joined! Drove 12 hours each way to get my Pin*Bot his bride.

Shes pretty dirty, gonna clean her up tonight. Plays 100%. a few lights out on the playfield, mainly the pop bumpers (those look like a pain in the ass to get to) Fully LED'd

I have some display issues as well, going to replace the 39k ohm 2watt resistors on the R48 and R49 and see if that helps.

The GI in the backbox doesnt work for the non robot section so ill have to figure that out.

Has remote battery back installed but its not saving anything, resets to default settings every power up, might have broke a solder joint in transit or something.

IMG_20150823_222124.jpgIMG_20150823_222124.jpg

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

You have a switch issue somewhere. I'm going to guess in the trough or one of the outlane switches, as this is what she says when you lose one of the two balls ending your change to get them both locked again. I would suspect that you'd have other similar issues during a game with a stuck switch.
Go into switch edge test and test all the switches with a ball rolling over the actuator wires. Test right and left outlane switches and each trough switch specifically. Check for an actuator wire binding on the side of the playfield or one that is gummed up and not indicating that it opens/closes on the display.

Thanks for the info. I'll give the switch test a try tonight.

So, if I understand, she is not suppost to turn her head back until one of the two (or both if you're really unlucky) drains during multiball?

Makes sense if so. Thanks!

Tom

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from SpaceWar:

Thanks for the info. I'll give the switch test a try tonight.
So, if I understand, she is not suppost to turn her head back until one of the two (or both if you're really unlucky) drains during multiball?
Makes sense if so. Thanks!
Tom

Correct. It should stay there (the third face) even if you drain one ball and wait until you shoot a ball up there and it locks. Then she says the phrase, turns back one face and releases the ball. I'm assuming you've locked one ball when this happens? If it's doing it right after the eyes lock face releases both balls from the lock, you probably have a switch issue but maybe something more is going on. I'd do a switch edge test of all switches just to be certain. Also, reseat any connectors on the CPU as well.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Just joined! Drove 12 hours each way to get my Pin*Bot his bride.
Shes pretty dirty, gonna clean her up tonight...

BoP 2.0 in the future?

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

BoP 2.0 in the future?

i dont know if i can drop that kinda money on a game i already have that plays 100% when I could add another to the collection for the same price. maybe one day when I run outta room that could be an option.

#78 8 years ago

i dont know if i can drop that kinda money on a game i already have that plays 100% when I could add another to the collection for the same price. maybe one day when I run outta room that could be an option.

I am kind of thinking with BOP 2.0 you can still play BOP but have a completely new game. Comparing the price of a BOP plus BOP 2.0 versus a Stern pro and I see more value in the BOP package but I guess we need more reviews of BOP 2.0.

#79 8 years ago

I'm in... Deep. My first total restore all the way down to airbrushing art and spraying my own clearcoat
Story is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-years-for-my-bride-of-pinbot

20150525_114610.jpg20150525_114610.jpg

2015-05-25 14.00.08.jpg2015-05-25 14.00.08.jpg

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I'm in... Deep. My first total restore all the way down to airbrushing art and spraying my own clearcoat

VERY nice work!

#81 8 years ago

Yeah wow, have you done pf's before? I have a pf that needs that done to, if you have a mind to.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Story is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-years-for-my-bride-of-pinbot
20150525_114610.jpg
2015-05-25 14.00.08.jpg

Cool, I like the added astronauts.

#83 8 years ago

So Im having an issue with my new BOP, wondering if anyone here has any insight before I start a tech thread.

Everytime I get a score for the high score list, no letters show up to put in initials, its just blank. I can hit the flipper buttons a bunch and it stays blank, no matter how I enter the blank spaces, when the high scores scroll they are blank as well. The game does not have a battery hooked up at the moment so it resets to default settings everytime, so im not sure if this is the reason it is doing this or if I have an issue somewhere else.

EDIT: I think i found the problem, the U7 and U8 opto isolators are bad.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

VERY nice work!

Thank you sir

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah wow, have you done pf's before? I have a pf that needs that done to, if you have a mind to.

No - this was my first. Learned a ton!

Quoted from Geocab:

Cool, I like the added astronauts.

Glad you got the astronauts - sure seems like a natural fit and cheap too

#85 8 years ago

So Im having an issue with my new BOP, wondering if anyone here has any insight before I start a tech thread.
Everytime I get a score for the high score list, no letters show up to put in initials, its just blank. I can hit the flipper buttons a bunch and it stays blank, no matter how I enter the blank spaces, when the high scores scroll they are blank as well. The game does not have a battery hooked up at the moment so it resets to default settings everytime, so im not sure if this is the reason it is doing this or if I have an issue somewhere else.
EDIT: I think i found the problem, the U7 and U8 opto isolators are bad.

Did that fix it?

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

No - this was my first. Learned a ton!

Well I guess I'll hang onto mine and who knows maybe in a few years when new ones aren't available any more someone will be willing to take mine on and have a beautiful pf.

#87 8 years ago

unfortunately i soldered the new parts in today and it still doesnt let me move the cursor for initials on high scores or move the extra ball lit in the in/out lanes during gameplay. super bummed as i got everything else going on her

#88 8 years ago

Oh crap but at least you can play the game.

#89 8 years ago

Im in. Been a few weeks now since pinbot has met his wife.

20150811_024722.jpg20150811_024722.jpg20150810_100403.jpg20150810_100403.jpg20150819_105926.jpg20150819_105926.jpg20150902_215559.jpg20150902_215559.jpg

Still need to do a full shop. I did splurge a bit on her. Got new ramps and a bunch of small things for her.

#91 8 years ago

Count me in! BoP was the first pin I had a chance to play thoroughly when I was a kid and I fell in love with it. I'd always been big into space/technology so the theme was right up my alley. That and the great sound effects, fun play and overall design meant it'll always hold a special place in my heart (pun intended).

It took almost a quarter century but the time was finally right to have my own pin earlier this year. So I bit the bullet, found a working one locally that had a good playfield and spent the next two months giving it some TLC (cleaning/cabinet touch-up, LED color scheming and replacing a bunch of worn parts). Couldn't be happier!

Anyway, when I first joined here and saw the BoP 2.0 thread I was a bit sad we didn't have one of our own so it's great to see one pop up. I'd be stoked to join if you'll have me

1.jpg1.jpg

2.jpg2.jpg

4.jpg4.jpg

3.jpg3.jpg

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from Morydees:

Count me in! BoP was the first pin I had a chance to play thoroughly when I was a kid and I fell in love with it. I'd always been big into space/technology so the theme was right up my alley. That and the great sound effects, fun play and overall design meant it'll always hold a special place in my heart (pun intended).
It took almost a quarter century but the time was finally right to have my own pin earlier this year. So I bit the bullet, found a working one locally that had a good playfield and spent the next two months giving it some TLC (cleaning/cabinet touch-up, LED color scheming and replacing a bunch of worn parts). Couldn't be happier!
Anyway, when I first joined here and saw the BoP 2.0 thread I was a bit sad we didn't have one of our own so it's great to see one pop up. I'd be stoked to join if you'll have me

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg

What a great story and a very nice looking machine. Your more then welcome. Here's a mod I'm making for my games, BOP will get the blue also.

IMGA0118.jpgIMGA0118.jpg

IMGA0119.jpgIMGA0119.jpg

#93 8 years ago

Thanks Paul . And wow thats a cool effect. How and the heck did you do that? Whats involved?

#94 8 years ago

Wow, that is pretty darn cool! I'm guessing a clear plastic/acrylic with an LED somewhere allowing the edge to glow? Definitely interested in how you achieved that (especially the wiring).

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Thanks Paul . And wow thats a cool effect. How and the heck did you do that? Whats involved?

Click on my name and look for the topic I started called "DIY leg light-up". I'm making a purple pair for my MET Pro now.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from Morydees:

Wow, that is pretty darn cool! I'm guessing a clear plastic/acrylic with an LED somewhere allowing the edge to glow? Definitely interested in how you achieved that (especially the wiring).

The wiring is simple, male or female plug on each of the 2 led strips, so it can be taken apart if you take the legs off. They are connected to a Y connector taped to the underside of the game with the one power wire running to the back of the game for the 12v wall wort. It doesn't run off of game power so you have to plug it in every time you want it on but you could if you wanted. I have enough stuff running off of game power on my games and I didn't want to tax the power supply's further.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Click on my name and look for the topic I started called "DIY leg light-up". I'm making a purple pair for my MET Pro now.

Ahh ok. Thats pretty sweet.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Ahh ok. Thats pretty sweet.

Thanks, I think it "wakes up" the front of the game with light.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The wiring is simple, male or female plug on each of the 2 led strips, so it can be taken apart if you take the legs off.

Yep, that all sounds pretty straight forward. Saved this on my "To Do" list some day. Thanks again!

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from Morydees:

Yep, that all sounds pretty straight forward. Saved this on my "To Do" list some day. Thanks again!

You bet, it would be nice to know others are putting my mod on their games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 49.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 54.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-clubnon-20/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.