2 (resized).jpg
20230107_193858 (resized).jpg
BOP_pinbot_values (resized).png
DSC06303 (resized).JPG
DSC06302 (resized).JPG
DSC06301 (resized).JPG
CE093284-D2E7-434C-94F7-231E5F890FC5 (resized).jpeg
20230730_133932 (resized).jpg

There are 2,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 54.
#851 7 years ago

Ok guys, I'm in. This is my 2nd pin, ever (my first is a ToM).

This one plays ok, though I haven't fully inspected it yet. I've noticed the left flipper sticks sometimes, and the head seems to be out of sync with where it's supposed to be (stays on the mouth when it should be the eyes, etc). My intent is to strip it completely down and do a 100% full restore, cab, playfield and all. This is the biggest project like this I've ever done, but my 16 year old son is excited to help so I'm jumping in.

Thank goodness for all your resto threads. Can someone link to their favorites?

bop_(resized).jpgbop_(resized).jpg

#852 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

This one plays ok, though I haven't fully inspected it yet. I've noticed the left flipper sticks sometimes, and the head seems to be out of sync with where it's supposed to be (stays on the mouth when it should be the eyes, etc). My intent is to strip it completely down and do a 100% full restore, cab, playfield and all. This is the biggest project like this I've ever done, but my 16 year old son is excited to help so I'm jumping in.

Welcome aboard, are you gonna restore it to stock or mod it? Lots of good info on club back pages.

#853 7 years ago

Ok I'm in, I've had her since 2010. Hem? 2.0....I don't know?

20160624_081220_(resized).jpg20160624_081220_(resized).jpg

20160624_081030_(resized).jpg20160624_081030_(resized).jpg

20160624_080846_(resized).jpg20160624_080846_(resized).jpg

20160624_081055_(resized).jpg20160624_081055_(resized).jpg

#854 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Here's a good one

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-restomod

#855 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome aboard, are you gonna restore it to stock or mod it? Lots of good info on club back pages.

I'm going to restore it to stock first, though I may chrome up the stainless parts. Knowing me, I'm likely to mod it after. What have people done with their wireforms, left them or get them plated?

#856 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

What have people done with their wireforms, left them or get them plated?

Do you mean powdered? They are already plated but not show chrome plated.

#857 7 years ago
Quoted from pindan3:

Ok I'm in, I've had her since 2010. Hem? 2.0....I don't know?

Welcome to the club (officially)! Looks to be in great shape.

#858 7 years ago

Just a general question I have related to multiple games including BOP that has always been on my mind but never able to find the answer on my own.

Why do I usually see a single 1.5" sized rubber slid over the play field prop rod on most machines?

There are even machines currently leaving the Stern factory with them on the prop rod.

If it was intended to be an extra item I'd expect it to be in the same bag with the extra plastics and bulbs so it wouldn't get all dried out.

#859 7 years ago

So you always have a spare handy in case one breaks? I don't know....it sounds good anyway.

#860 7 years ago

I see that white rubber ring in every pin. No idea why its there

#861 7 years ago

Perhaps to stop the prop from banging/scraping against the inside of the cab? they do get loose sometimes, my best guess anyway

1 week later
#862 7 years ago

Just picked up a good little project last weekend. It's really dirty but a little elbow grease has gone a long way so far. It's going to be a good players game for sure. The only major problem it has is the lower displays flicker. Not sure if I need to replace the displays or if there is a fix for this.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#863 7 years ago

My son and I are working on a BoP restore together. Since there are so many threads on restoring BoPs, I figure I won't bore everyone with our progress (unless there is demand). I love working on it with him!

bop_restore_(resized).jpgbop_restore_(resized).jpg

#864 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

My son and I are working on a BoP restore together. Since there are so many threads on restoring BoPs, I figure I won't bore everyone with our progress (unless there is demand). I love working on it with him!

Post away, we won't be bored, I'd love too see the progress anyway!

#865 7 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Just picked up a good little project last weekend. It's really dirty but a little elbow grease has gone a long way so far. It's going to be a good players game for sure. The only major problem it has is the lower displays flicker. Not sure if I need to replace the displays or if there is a fix for this.

Welcome to the club. WOW that's dirty, looks like it doesn't have a mylar'd playfield. It needs a complete tare down and cleaning. Could be a bad ground or dirty ribbon pins or bad ribbon.

#866 7 years ago

Ok so I cleaned the ribbon pins and tried new cables. I also checked the grounds as well as I could. No change in displays. However the longer they are on, the more they show up. They still don't come on all the way though, they keep flickering and or missing segments. All of the segments do work though while they are scrolling through. And it's just the bottom display. The top one is clean and bright.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#867 7 years ago

Looks to me like it's on the way to oblivion (i'm sure no expert on displays though). If you've swapped cables and the connector pins are ok (also no loose contacts on the pin solder) then it can't be much else i can think of.

#868 7 years ago

Does anyone have any idea what the original painted backbox colors (rear, top) were? Were they painted purple? When I re-paint my backbox I'd like to get close to the stock color.

It's interesting that the backbox side art appears a blueish-gray in most photography I see, though the decals appear to be identical to the side cabinet art (purple). I'm guessing this is because the colors were printed on a different medium?

Any thoughts on this?

[EDIT] Looking into some of the marketing materials, it looks like the wood was painted purple in the demo for the photography and hinges were stainless:

1502f2_(resized).jpg1502f2_(resized).jpg

#869 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Does anyone have any idea what the original painted backbox colors (rear, top) were? Were they painted purple? When I re-paint my backbox I'd like to get close to the stock color.

It's interesting that the backbox side art appears a blueish-gray in most photography I see, though the decals appear to be identical to the side cabinet art (purple). I'm guessing this is because the colors were printed on a different medium?

Certainly when i first got my machine the backbox decals were that same blueish-grey, i always wondered if that was from fading. The inside/front of my backbox was black not the purple it shows on this flier. I'm about to repaint mine the final colours after all the pre-coat and i'm doing the inside of the main cab purple. After seeing this i might do the backbox in purple too, looks good

#870 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Certainly when i first got my machine the backbox decals were that same blueish-grey, i always wondered if that was from fading. The inside/front of my backbox was black not the purple it shows on this flier. I'm about to repaint mine the final colours after all the pre-coat and i'm doing the inside of the main cab purple. After seeing this i might do the backbox in purple too, looks good

That's my inclination as well. What type of paint are you using for your primer and final top coats?

#871 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

What type of paint are you using for your primer and final top coats?

There's probably more choices available than you can poke a stick at but i've used Black Epoxy Primer ( Epotec 408 ) over the bare wood, then used 2 Pac automotive semi gloss black paint over that. For the purple areas it will be just Automotive Acrylic Lacquer paint. I looked for some purple house paint (acrylic) in the appropriate colour but was told they couldn't tint it to that darkness (at least here in Oz anyway).

#872 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Looks to me like it's on the way to oblivion (i'm sure no expert on displays though). If you've swapped cables and the connector pins are ok (also no loose contacts on the pin solder) then it can't be much else i can think of.

That's my thinking also but I'm no expert either.

#873 7 years ago

Opinions on BoP without updating to 2.0? Gsmeplay looks fun but looks like nonstop shots to left ramp. Have a chance to grab nice one and not sure how repetitive compared to other Sys 11 like ES

#874 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

There's probably more choices available than you can poke a stick at but i've used Black Epoxy Primer ( Epotec 408 ) over the bare wood, then used 2 Pac automotive semi gloss black paint over that. For the purple areas it will be just Automotive Acrylic Lacquer paint. I looked for some purple house paint (acrylic) in the appropriate colour but was told they couldn't tint it to that darkness (at least here in Oz anyway).

I'm just wondering here so help me out, if you use a black primer won't the purple top coat be darker then if you use a light gray?

#875 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm just wondering here so help me out, if you use a black primer won't the purple top coat be darker then if you use a light gray?

After the 2nd coat of purple not really MP, i'm just not a big fan of doing a grey or white primer coat, mainly cause if by chance the topcoat gets damaged then a lighter base coat shows up more. That's really a personal choice though

#876 7 years ago

FYI, started a thread today on my BoP restoration with my son:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-father-and-sons-first-restoration

#877 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

If the gas had leaked out, would it be getting better as it warms up? To me that means cold solder joints or failing capacitors. I'd be resoldering all the connector pins where the ribbon cables meet each board and where the tube's wires meet the board. I'd also try swapping the two ribbon cables to see if the problem remains the same or follows a cable. I guess I haven't had any System 11 displays die in a way I haven't been able to repair them yet.

#878 7 years ago

Thanks for the ideas on what it could be. I went ahead and just ordered some xpins and I'll see if I can rebuild or figure out what is wrong with these ones. I should have everything cleaned and put back together and playing tonight!!! Just need to figure out what I'm going to do with lights but that's the easy part!!

#879 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

FYI, started a thread today on my BoP restoration with my son:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-father-and-sons-first-restoration

Attaboy!

#880 7 years ago

looking for a BOP. what's your early diagnosis of this one:

ebay.com link: The Machine Bride of Pin Bot Pinball Arcade Pinbot

#881 7 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

looking for a BOP. what's your early diagnosis of this one:
ebay.com link » The Machine Bride Of Pin Bot Pinball Arcade Pinbot

I wouldn't even bother. Popular titles tend to fetch crazy prices in ebay auctions. The last 30 seconds of the auction is where all the real bidding happens.

#882 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

If the gas had leaked out, would it be getting better as it warms up?

Good point!!. I did state i was no expert though

#883 7 years ago

Was able to get everything cleaned up and playing like a champ!! Everything is working great and the new displays look awesome!! I had some spare ledsnlaying around for temporary but I'm kinda liking the way everything is looking. I'm still going to finish the gi lights the way I wanted to but the pops are staying purple. I was kind of thinking about doing purples in the helmet but I'm still undecided on that. I also need to get the back box lighting fixed.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#884 7 years ago

Hey - don't mean to be out of place but I am restoring a BOP and need the right ramp plastic - would prefer to just buy one and not buy a whole set of plastics but that does not look like it will happen. If anyone has the right ramp plastic (image of the piece I need is on this post) as a spare they want to sell please email me on pinside.

If anyone has a high rez image of the plastic to help me make one barring someone willing to sell a spare plastic that would be great too. I just need this image and I could make my own if I have to.

Please help me keep another BOP on the game road!

RIGHT_RAMP_(resized).jpgRIGHT_RAMP_(resized).jpg

BRIDE_OF_PINBOT_PLASTICS_CROPPED_(resized).jpgBRIDE_OF_PINBOT_PLASTICS_CROPPED_(resized).jpg

#885 7 years ago

So I received the rest of my leds today and went to put them in. After I switched everything out, I turned the game on and the right flipper is dead, the game keeps rebooting, and the white/yellow GI is out now. I'm tested the gi for continuity and everything is good to the plug and the fuse checks good when pulled out of the holder. I'm completely stumped by this.

#886 7 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

So I received the rest of my less today and went to put them in.

???

#887 7 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Hey - don't mean to be out of place but I am restoring a BOP and need the right ramp plastic - would prefer to just buy one and not buy a whole set of plastics but that does not look like it will happen. If anyone has the right ramp plastic (image of the piece I need is on this post) as a spare they want to sell please email me on pinside.
If anyone has a high rez image of the plastic to help me make one barring someone willing to sell a spare plastic that would be great too. I just need this image and I could make my own if I have to.
Please help me keep another BOP on the game road!

Wish I could help.

#889 7 years ago

Much better. Wow that's a new one on me, sounds like something got shorted.

#890 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Much better. Wow that's a new one on me, sounds like something got shorted.

It does sound like a short, but the conundrum here is that no fuse has blown. It may be a different fuse than you think it is, if it shorted against another circuit. Check all the fuses.

#891 7 years ago

Ok made a little progress. Replaced j101 and the reset issues has stopped. Rebuilt the flippers, replaced the female part of j115 and now the back box gi lights are back on!!

Now here is the issue that is driving me nuts. I'm still having issues with the white/yellow gi string (rear gi) . I have continuity through out everything. No blown f107 fuse BUT f108 blows. I checked q14 and it tested good. And I have no voltage at j121 on the yellow and white wires. I have not taken the board out yet to see if there is a bad trace but I'm still stumped because it worked fine before I switched to LEDs.

#893 7 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Ok made a little progress. Replaced j101 and the reset issues has stopped. Rebuilt the flippers, replaced the female part of j115 and now the back box gi lights are back on!!
Now here is the issue that is driving me nuts. I'm still having issues with the white/yellow gi string (rear gi) . I have continuity through out everything. No blown f107 fuse BUT f108 blows. I checked q14 and it tested good. And I have no voltage at j121 on the yellow and white wires. I have not taken the board out yet to see if there is a bad trace but I'm still stumped because it worked fine before I switched to LEDs.

Take the board out, look at the traces and report back. Post good close up pictures, ones that we can zoom in on. Your doing a waaaay better job for troubleshooting and fixing then I ever could.

#894 7 years ago

Anyone know what happened with the guy who was developing the magnet aprons (Ninjaboot) i think it was?, that thread seems to have closed down

#895 7 years ago

I haven't seen him for a while, I wonder if PPS shut him down? I think he would tell us if they did. Try to pm him.

#896 7 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Anyone know what happened with the guy who was developing the magnet aprons (Ninjaboot) i think it was?, that thread seems to have closed down

I was pretty excited for those, but he seemed more interested in cranking out new designs than actually producing them. And I'm sure there are copyright concerns with the various companies, but I don't think he ever came through with making one title.

#897 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

but he seemed more interested in cranking out new designs than actually producing them

YUP, agree with that point, i even posted about that. If it came down to copyright issues at the end of the day...well i understand what that's all about BUT in a lot of ways that gets right up my nose. Sad cause he had some awesome ideas and artwork in there.

#898 7 years ago

I'll bet he couldn't get approval from Rick.

#899 7 years ago

I think I found the problem. Check out this hack job!! Now I just need to figure out how to fix it myself

#900 7 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I think I found the problem. Check out this hack job!! Now I just need to figure out how to fix it myself

WOW that's bad, what does the back side look like.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 2,684 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 54.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-clubnon-20/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.