Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by lg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Problem: The chase lights on the bride's helmet are not working. They were working, but now they aren't. As far as I know they were working before I took the helmet off to try out a couple LEDs and now they are just off. They don't come on in attract mode, gameplay, or lamp test.

These lights are controlled by a chase light board under the playfield. It takes 13vdc, ground, and two other wires from the driver board. It outputs headers which go to each lamp on the helmet. Separately one wire from the driver board (GI J120-8) is provided as power to the lamps. The chase light board controls the grounds for all the lamps.

The driver board is a Rottendog board. And no fuses are blown.

13VDC exists flowing into the light board. 8VAC flowing out of the GI pin on the driver board, through the connector, all the way to the lamp boards in the helmet. Testing the blobs of solder on the two lamp boards in the helmet (all the ground wires and the one power wire are soldered there) there is 4-4.5VAC which I think is enough to power the bulbs. There is no power at the light sockets.

I disconnected the light boards in the helmet and did a continuity test between the two terminals on each socket all the way to where the associated wires are soldered and I do have continuity so the traces on the light board are working.

Testing power between the live wire and all the individual grounds shows 4.5VAC which I believe means the grounds are not "broken" so the chase lamp board should be putting the lamps in the "on" position...

Re-flowed solder on the light socket boards in the helmet as well as the header pins on the chase light board, neither of which had any effect. The power wire was connected via a 1 pin connector. I cut the connector off and soldered the wires together instead as all the lights being out seemed like a power wire not working situation.

The chase light board schematic: https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/4948140073_e74a013dcf_b.jpg

Any ideas at all on what to try next? I've done all the things I could think of/find on the internets.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Bischt:

There is no power at the light sockets

Measured with meter or b/c no bulbs are on? Assume we're not diagnosing bad bulbs... Given your detailed description it seems impossible that would be the problem. But I had to ask.

Pull up the BOP manual on IPDB.org and go to page 3-6 (second to the last pages in the whole PDF) for a more detailed schematic of the light board than what you linked. Looks like the board brings in 12 volts on J1 and creates a 5 volt specific for the board via a 7805. Test to make sure you are getting 5 volts at the output of that 7805 or at the appropriate pins of the 74XX chips. With no +5, those chips won't do their job and you won't complete the circuits for the bulbs. If the 7805 isn't doing the job, replace it directly or get a switched equivalent at www.ezSBC.com

If +5 is good, I'd suspect the LM339 next. It and the +5 are the two things that look like the two things on the board that would impact ALL of the lights. Note there are two parallel paths of control - each controls half of the lights. If half the lights were not working, I would suspect one of the 74XX chips.

If +5 and the LM339 are good, I would disconnect J2, choose a lamp circuit (say J2-1) and and briefly jumper it to what the Darlington pair would connect the pin to if it were being activated (shown as ground on the schematic). If the light comes on, Clock and Data aren't getting through a bunch of good chips to the point they drive the Parlington pairs, are both these signals getting to the board? The jumping will also show your path from PDB all the way to the chaser board (including the bulb) is good.

Hope some of this babbling is helpful...

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#3 9 years ago

Yea measured with the meter at the socket and no dice.

It is pulling 12v (meter says 13) at J1. So at least that part is correct.

Helpful, hopefully! It certainly gives me several more things to try, which is better than the 0 ideas I had before. Thanks!

#4 9 years ago

5 volts exist on the 7805 as well as outputs 1 and 2 on the 339. Disconnected connector from chase lamp board and jumper end individual bulb grounds to ground and each bulb lights as I do that. Going to figure out how to test the 74xx chips but since all the lights are out I'm thinking I should figure out where the clock and data pins from J1 come from. Thanks!

#5 9 years ago

Found the issue sorta. The problem is with the Rottendog WPC driver boards. I have two and tried both. For some reason they do not work with the chase lights on the helmet. Switch to the standard WPC driver board and they work like a champ. It's possible it's a problem with the specific Rottendog board version I have (WDB089_2). They say it's compatible with BoP but it is not. Will write them to see if there is a known fix.

#6 9 years ago

Very good detective work Bischt.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

8 months later
#8 9 years ago

Did you ever find out if there is a fix for the light chaser if your using a Rottendog drive board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-bride-of-pinbot-helmit-chase-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.