IMG_2416 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2415 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9887 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1682 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1681 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1705 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1599 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4224 (resized).jpeg
2023-09-28 12_53_59-Amazon.com_ Alinan 5pcs Button Battery Holder Coin Cell Battery Holder with Swit (resized).png
EFDACD6A-A27D-49B1-99F1-A94B7086313E (resized).jpeg
bop_2_rules (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1756 Product info Posted by rubberducks (7 years ago)

Post #1758 Availability update Posted by Fourbyracer (7 years ago)

Post #1788 Key workaround info Posted by awarner (7 years ago)

Post #1859 How to backup your ssd drive for BOP 2.0 Posted by awarner (7 years ago)

Post #2104 Betabrite installation notes Posted by mgpasman (7 years ago)

Post #2776 1.21 software update (improved 1.0 support) Posted by KoenHeltzel (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheKorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#311 9 years ago

Alternate method of mounting the computer is to use hot glue for the mounting plate. No mess, no muss, no fuss!

Doesn't work so well for the aux scoreboard that I added; that I'm using C clamps for safety.
lorem ipsum was a slut.lorem ipsum was a slut.

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

so I see the link works but from the dutch page how do you actually find that link?

Hell if I know! I just asked for the directions and was given the link.

#361 9 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

hoping to hear that the music tracks can be changed and how to do so.

It's pretty easy to change the music if you're so inclined; they're just wav files that are looped. Though I think you'd be doing a pretty grave disservice to yourself by changing them -- they're pretty darn good!

#374 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The sound on my mame cab for BOP sounds perfectly fine. It uses pinmame to run. It is quite but by turning the sound up in the ROM it works just fine.

Don't know anything about your cab, but I respectfully and *strongly* disagree! I haven't seen a version of pinmame that doesn't seriously choke on CVSD playback. (Try starting funhouse to hear the worst example I can think of, or try to credit up CFTBL. Sounds like you're beating a woman underwater with a banjo. Ahhhh-blub-blub-blub... frank you!) The music sounds OK (pretty close) but even that isn't quite up to scratch and gets worse when doing an A/B test vs the original. Just hitting esc in the WPC menus in pinmame , the "dink dink dink" sound is played at the wrong tempo (too slow!) -- and there's nothing even going on then!

Don't get me wrong, it's good enough that a month after having BOP2, if I need to scratch the BOP1 itch I'll flip it over and play a couple of games. But it's not anywhere close to the same quality as the original.

Switch inputs do lag in 1.0 a bit; I'd guess roughly 50 to 100ms behind. The larger problem (for me) is the lock pulses are now too long; it invariably drops both balls when locking instead of only one. Messes up multiball start like crazy! (And makes multiplayer games kind of not work.)

P.S. Has it really been five years since a new release of pinmame???

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Pinmame went to open source a couple of years ago and others have been developing new versions. The lastest one is vpinmame 2.6 from last month (December 2014).
I'm sure Koen would address issues you have with the 1.0 version. I assume there is an email addy for support that comes with your kit.

Where do you get it from? Because on the official pinmame site, all that's available is 2.3, with no mention of anything else! ( http://pinmame.retrogames.com/downloads.html )

Quoted from 85vett:

Thekorn - If you haven't updated pinmame in 5 years then you need a major update before casting your opinion on how things perform now. I have no sound issues at all with BOP. Only one that sounds bad is LOTR.

That's kind of why I added the PS on the end. I did check the official site and that's the only one that's up there, and no hint as to where a newer one can be found. (Can't fault me for not at least trying to be current!)

#385 9 years ago

Couldn't find 2.6, but downloaded 2.5. Sounds unchanged from the the 2.3 version. Seriously, it takes just a second -- drop credits in and "thank you" sounds awful -- sounds like it's being said through cellophane. Sounds in general play too slowly (tempo). Music overall is off pitch (slightly low) and slightly slower tempo than a real machine.

(Your cab video, while making some allowances for cell phone microphone and what not, also has the same problems.)

It's good *enough* to not be worth the hassle to switch back & forth. But taken in totality pinmame's rendition is definitely a medium step down in the quality department when compared to the real mccoy. Not large enough to be worth the hassle of switching boards for a few games, but not minor enough to be in the let's-pretend-this-doesn't-really-exist category, either.

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Korn, could the lag be why I'm seeing 2 balls kicked into the shooter lane on 1.0? Is the lag something that can be fixed?

I'm just not getting that on mine, so I hate to speculate. My WAG is that it could be your switch is slower to rebound than mine, so then pinmame thinks the ball didn't eject correctly.

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

If what ya'll are hearing on my cab is considered bad and what the 2.0 kit makes it sound like then I'm perfectly happy. Can someone post a video of how bad the sound is cause if this is the debate/argument then I'd rather DP work on new modes than fixing sound issues that 90% of people would never notice. The way it's being vocalized makes it sound like its really crappy. And my Mame cab sounds ever bit as good as my new sterns so I would consider it a non-issue.

https://vimeo.com/118154838

(Vimeo says it'll be done processing in 35 minutes or so.)

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm *not* advocating that DP needs to do anything; this is clearly a pinmame issue (sounds identical when testing vpinmame on a PC). BOP1 is included for convenience and isn't DP's product, so not their problem in my mind. At the same time, I'm not willing to call a spade a heart, either; BOP1 functioning is good *enough*, which doesn't quite make it *good*, just... enough.

In the video you can also hear the lag. I have my switches mounted to the cabinet floor, so you can hear me "thumping" the switches moving around in the test menu, and see the lag between the switch contact and when pinmame does something. I don't know the cause nor the solution to that, but it doesn't seem to make much real world difference when playing. (By the same token, it might be the root cause of always dropping two balls out of the lock in bop1.)

#417 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

So, just like with BOP 2.0, report any issues with the 1.0 (pinmame) back to Dutch Pinball. I don’t think the sound is going to improve much – that’s all handled somewhere in 448000 lines of code that we haven’t touched. Nobody has done any work on it in regular mame, so it’s unlikely to get worked on in pinmame. If there are coil pulse times that need adjusting up or down to resolve issues, we can probably do that. As with 2.0, the pinmame build being used here has only been tested on a very few machines, so as it gets rolled out to a bigger audience I expect things will be found in both 1.0 and 2.0 Report it, we’ll build up a picture of what’s going on and we’ll see what we can do. One last comment – unlike the 2.0 code, pinmame is all open source, so after I’ve done a little tidying up the full code being used within the P-ROC environment (including BOP) will be available for anyone take a copy of.

So... (well first, thanks for laying out the explanation verbatim. Pretty much knew it, but it's nice to have a mental model confirmed!)

In the past how MAME has dealt with under-performing or difficult to emulate sound is to have a set of samples recorded directly from the original machine, and play those back whenever sound command X is triggered. If I (or someone) were to volunteer to generate a sample set, how hard would it be to hack into the pinmame code? That would take care of the lion's share of complaints with the sounds (in a nutshell, *everything* out of the CVSD); the rest of them (slightly too slow, slightly too low pitch, etc.) are in the wrong but completely tolerable category. (MHO, of course.)

AAAAND since BOP2 is an officially licensed product that already includes this data, it'd be fully legal out of the gate, too! So that's nice.

#426 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

The sounds are available on pinsound if you make an account.

I must be missing it. All I can figure out how to do is download m1 (which doesn't support extracting from bop roms). Doesn't seem to be any links to pre-ripped sound packs, let alone anywhere to actually log in.

#506 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Are there any expected long-term disadvantages to having the monitor and amp on continuously, and if so can someone provide a link to this smart power strip?

Not familiar with the amp's power saving features. (It's... it's... it's not for me.) If it's the type that actually shuts down when a signal isn't present then the effect of having it be on all the time should be really negligible. If it doesn't have that feature then it'll be continuously on. It's a class D amp, so that wouldn't be all that terrible; a smidge of power and heat would be kicked off but nothing major.

Monitor being on all the time should also be relatively negligible. It *does* have power management (a.k.a. "energy star") so it hibernates whenever it doesn't see a signal. Again a few parasidic watts wasted over time, but nothing all that big.

To really fix the "I want to be able to kill only from the wall switch" problem properly, you'd need to use a UPS that supports monitoring via USB. A monitored UPS will shut itself off once the computer signals that it's down, saving the rest of the battery. Cheapest I could find in a quick search is http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=664730 . (Can probably find something somewhat cheaper if you looked for sales, but outside of a model year refresh blowout I wouldn't expect < $50.) It's way too much battery for what the computer actually needs, but they only make them so small with monitoring.

If you got a UPS without monitoring the UPS would have to fully discharge each time you killed the power. That'd lead to a UPS that lasted a month, two tops. (UPS batteries really don't like being deep cycled that many times!)

#509 9 years ago

You're going to need a larger apron to fit a card that big.

Here's what I have on my game currently, which reflects my understanding of the rules so far.

http://pinballmafia.net/temp/bop2.0_1091b.pdf

#563 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What's the best method to adjust? Right now I have the game on "1" ...any pro/con to having the game volume higher & adjusting the amp settings from there?

Not really... I keep mine between 1-3 (...since I like having windows in my place... ) normally. I did try it all the way up to 10 with ear protection, didn't notice any distortion so the output seems to be pretty clean all the way up.

#578 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Has anyone else noticed that if you go into diagnostics in 1.091 that it kills the flippers until your ball drains, then proceeds normally?

IMNSHO the point of beta testing is to report *directly to DP* what your issues are, so that they can fix them in advance before sending the software out to owners at large. Beta software is *test* software, and part of that idea is that you're not really supposed to talk openly about bugs found. (It's fine to discuss/verify in private with other beta testers, just not at large.)

I reported this bug (among others) to DP a few weeks ago, so I'm sure they're already aware of it.

(If it was general release software, then say whatever, wherever.)

I also find it strange that the game continues while you're in diagnostics.

Eh, Capcom did it way back when, not all that strange.

#605 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Have one of the lowest scores like me. If I'm cheating I suck at it

Not to mention you're playing on 5-ball! (BOOOOOOOOOOO! )

I'd love to say Hegge was cheating when he was playing my game. Sadly, nope. (He is ranked 31st in the world after all, so there is that.)

#606 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There's no reason to keep this private.

To me alpha/beta/gamma bugs all go under the general heading of "dirty laundry". In my mind, you can do whatever crazy whack-ass crap you want in alpha and beta, as long as it gets straightened out before general release all is forgiven. I view it as professional courtesy.

#630 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yep. I used another one.
And. I think live should be disabled if you're on 5 ball. Lame

I don't know that I'd agree; how you run your game should be up to you. But it'd be nice if the website called out how many balls were in the game, just to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Right now I'm waiting for the next beta update before I play much more; I keep hitting a nasty bug that's totally wrecking my groove.

I don't even agree that any computer can be compromised. If you're sitting behind a router, and you we be if you're using wifi, no one can just get into your computer with malicious code unless you do something like browse the web or email etc.

Sure they can -- compromise another computer on the same network, such as your regular computer. That's penetration 101.

1 week later
#637 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is so silly. I'll give you $1000 if you can hack my bop. Just make it boot up and display your PayPal address and I'll pay.
It's super awesome how everyone likes to talk like a big expert but when the challenge or proof is asked, that's the end of it.

Put $1K in escrow, sign a damage and liability waiver and a notarized permission to hack, and I'll be happy to prove it to you.

Unless you're just talking shit, of course.

#643 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm not putting money into an escrow account for a task you will never be able to complete. Then that money is lost from me and sits elsewhere "in case" you can accomplish this (and you cant). So its essentially lost to me when you won't even be able to complete the task. But you have my word that I will pay you and proof of this that I am requesting you to do this task so there would be no liability. I expected a response like this. You need some reason to not have to prove this while trying to save face. Understood.
Edit: I will, however, put money into an escrow account if you will agree to do the same and we provide a date. By that date one of us collects the whole pot.
You should jump at this. After all its so basic it's "hacking 101".

You are asking a person who works as an IT professional to commit multiple offenses of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. See http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1030 . As this is my job I deal with this on a routine basis; there are ways to go about doing this without exposing myself to both civil and criminal liability. I am not willing to risk going to jail (and due to my occupation I will not get *any* leniency on the part of the court) nor am I willing to expose myself to civil penalties just to shout down a message board ignoramus. I laid out the terms necessary to protect myself, and you do not accept. (You writing a message saying "that's fine" is worth nothing.)

Nothing happens, and nothing ever will happen, without notarized waivers of damage and liabilities, waivers of any criminal proceedings under the computer fraud and abuse act (and any similar state acts), and without having the money in escrow. That's the way this is done regularly; you don't get to make up your own rules with respect to criminal (and civil) law. It's a whole stack of paperwork, and can be done, and I'm happy to do it. You aren't. Turns out when the rubber hits the road, you just want to waive hands at real consequences because a) you have no intention of paying b) have no idea what you're talking about c) it wouldn't be your butt on the line anyway. Not good enough. Do it the right way, or don't do it at all.

#676 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Wait a minute... Are you telling me that the reproduction face plastics sometimes let the ball fall through the face into the cube? WTH?

Yes. If you don't bother to transfer the metal backing plate to the new faces, and if the balls are in the holes when the face changes then it's possible for the ball (or balls) to slip into the head through the eye/mouth holes. If you transfer the backing plate from the original faces then that's impossible, but it doesn't look as good.

I didn't bother to transfer them on mine, knowing that this was possible upon a head positioning error. I did have it happen twice on bop 2.0, but it was a while ago. I wasn't able to reproduce a test scenario where it happens reliably so I didn't bother to report it, though I'm keeping an eye out for it. (I also couldn't tell you what exact software rev I was running at the time, either.)

Quoted from mollyspub:

CPR...are you listening ??? you need to reuse the metal bracket for the first two faces and this will not be a issue.

This was documented by CPR when the repro faces first came out. Their advice was to transfer them over, or not if you don't mind living dangerously.

#687 9 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

How many people have "Fully" installed the kit? By fully, I mean that you could fold the head down, take off the legs and transport your game without anything falling around in there.

By that definition, I have the kit fully installed. But I can't flop the head and move it; have to remove the second monitor + mount before mine can be moved. And the ethernet cable, too.

1 month later
#753 9 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

If I understand Scott's writeup correctly, with pre-Fliptronics games, the CPU doesn't receive an event when you activate the flipper switch. It only knows when the EOS switch has been activated, which means the flipper has to actually be flipped.

You're on the right road, but nope.

How it works is there is an opto-isolator (4N25 - U7 & U8 on the WPC driver board) that's in parallel with the coil. (It's up high on the driver board; look for it on the schematics.) When you hit the button, it grounds both the opto-isolator's emitter and the coil. The opto-isolator's receiver is directly hooked into the switch matrix. The flipper doesn't have to actually move, but the power for the flipper does have to be engaged.

#765 8 years ago

That kind of brings up an interesting issue; bop scores <= v1.101 really aren't comparable to bop scores > v1.101 . Reason being is multiball 2 is so much more hard to score points on (and once you finish multiball 1 you're locked into multiball 2 until you finish it). It's not that hard to just keep playing multiball 1 and grabbing supers over and over, which isn't even possible on v1.102+.

Still though, 400M... damn. 30 minute game, wow that's nuts.

#810 8 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Does anyone know whether LED ghosting is no longer a concern when lamps are controlled by the P-ROC. I don't have the kit (yet) but was thinking of ordering some LEDs soon. Thanks.

Ghosting is an issue, buy ghost buster LEDs if you're doing it now. I see no difference in the helmet lights, but I always used incandescent bulbs there. (Those aren't on the light matrix anyway, completely different.)

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Also, it looks like nobody has logged into their online profiles and created any video mode levels!!!

I played around with it, but can't figure out what symbol generates reverse pads. (Would be helpful if you could see an existing level in the editor to start with, rather than having to hit every symbol on the keyboard to find out what they do.)

#816 8 years ago
Quoted from KoenHeltzel:

You can load the existing (factory & public) levels by selecting them from the dropdown.
Also on the bottom of the page there is a description of all the possible input characters although admittedly that was quickly typed up the night 1.102 was released.

Ahhh, those weren't there when I was playing with it -- no wonder! I just hammered out every key on the keyboard. Found most of it on my own, just not everything.

#817 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I have ghosting on only two lights right now. The shuttle ramp insert light and the 300K light above the pinbot playfield. I think it may be something with my game vs the set-up though since it's only those two. Just not sure what it could be to cause only 2 to do this.
I'd buy ghost buster lights though to be safe. Plus I think you would need them for 1.0.

I have both ghostbuster, non-ghostbuster, and incandescent lamps in mine, depending on the location. The extent of LED ghosting on WPC games is really dependent on where they are in the lamp matrix, but ghostbuster leds makes it a moot point. Mine ghosts on the 25K and 50K skill shot lamps, simply because that's where I have conventional LEDs.

(I used a total of eight different lamp & modifiers to light the backbox, FWIW. )

#843 8 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

@ The Korn
Great job on the sonic video mode!
That was a rush!

Ha, thanks. I was wondering how long it'd take someone to find that.

1 week later
#879 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I wanted to put my game on-line during the Allentown show but I just didn't have time. I do plan to try and get it working for the Atlanta show. I can't wait to see what happens when I set it up this weekend and all of the Allentown show data flows onto the website.

During MGC I used live as a way to surreptitiously check if my game was up or down. Rather than walking the entire length of MGC (which is a considerable distance!), I popped up the live page every so often in the booth. If it went too long without anyone playing / scores changing I'd take a walk and check in on it.

Quoted from awarner:

I have a PDF of the before so it should be interesting.

Hmmm, wonder which smart guy made that and sent it to you?

#881 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How so? I use a Macbook as my main computer. I don't have keyboards and mice laying around, nor am I comfortable navigating in the "computer mode" of this mod. If BOP 2.0 has online capability, I'd like to be able to set it up in a user-friendly way from the game's menus. Otherwise I probably just won't use the functionality.

I disagree. Ever tried to set a custom message with coin door buttons? IT SUCKS OUT LOUD and takes *forever* because you have to scroll through every mother flippin' letter, a few punctuation marks, then every letter in lowercase. Now imagine all that plus every punctuation mark on the keyboard plus every numeral. Suckage on top of suckage on top of suckage doesn't make less suckage, it makes for misery.

Using the coin door buttons to enter SSIDs and wireless security settings is like using a pair of pliers to try and remove a lug nut. It's a bad idea and simply the wrong tool for the job. (A button to quick WPS setup would be a good compromise, IMHO.)

#888 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Does it have bluetooth? Or do you need to use a USB dongle?

The computer has bluetooth, but mine was broken out of the box. (It'd kinda/sorta see things, but would fail to pair every time.) I have bluetooth dongles like sticks of gum so I threw one of them in a USB port and disabled the on-board BT. All has been well since.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not saying to take out the PC stuff. I'm just saying add the in game coin door stuff for those who will never go into the PC mode. Options are good and at the end of the day it's a pinball machine - options have always been accessible through the coindoor.

I'm sympathetic and halfway agree with you. However at some point hammering a square peg into a round hole just doesn't make sense, and IMHO this is that point. Everything you need to be able to do to run the machine can be done via the service buttons -- live is extra. Nice, but still extra; if live isn't working the game still runs just fine.

YHO may vary.

#892 8 years ago

I've gone and rendered the DP logo so it'll properly display on a betabrite. You're welcome.

dp_logo_betabrite.pngdp_logo_betabrite.png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 9.95
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheKorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-20-owners-club-members-only?tu=TheKorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.