New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 72381)

BOP 2.0 Owners Club (Members Only)

By awarner

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,661 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 50 days ago by BadBrad97
  • Topic is favorited by 67 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 366 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2020-05-18 21.45.34 (resized).jpg
4B62A3F2-9288-49C9-B52B-64D424AA8DA7 (resized).jpeg
2C09922A-1FDF-403E-939B-3BC65AEEE784 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_4082 (resized).JPG
IMG_4083 (resized).JPG
IMG_4081 (resized).JPG
fullsizeoutput_5282 (resized).jpeg
231E1676-14F3-40FE-9F90-3403AC7C986F (resized).png
IMG_0517 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0518 (resized).jpeg
bop_cabinet_complete_7 (resized).jpg
bop_cabinet_complete_5 (resized).jpg
bop_cabinet_complete_6 (resized).jpg
bop_cabinet_complete_3 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2661 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 54.
#351 5 years ago

Today is my Birthday! I got my bride 2.0 also. No shipping notice!

#352 5 years ago

Anyone get theirs installed yet?

I'm installed but cannot start a game. The flipper inputs seem to work to select the game but the start button isn't working.

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from Postmortem:

Is the second batch of pre-orders remotely close to being filled by chance?

i asked barry the same question.. as of 2 weeks ago, they were half filled. im waiting to see what everyone says before i order mine. hoping to hear that the music tracks can be changed and how to do so.

#354 5 years ago

So it got stranger... I got a package that was not addressed to me from "The Sports Authority". I called FedEx. I put it back on the porch. I had to go out for 2 Hours and when I got back, the right package was here. Crazy!

image-167.jpg

#355 5 years ago

Congrats to DP and the owners....can't wait to play one of these.

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

So it got stranger... I got a package that was not addressed to me from "The Sports Authority". I called FedEx. I put it back on the porch. I had to go out for 2 Hours and when I got back, the right package was here. Crazy!

Maybe 50% of your DP order got put on his porch! and they got swapped? Weird. Glad you are whole again.

#357 5 years ago

No notice and no kit yet. I wonder if CA would be delivered tomorrow. Question for those with the kits. What shipping method was used?

#358 5 years ago

FedEx ground. Mine says it shipped out 1-19. Seems like CA and TX would be close in time. Hopefully you will see it tom.

#359 5 years ago

sounds like a funny weekend for the us pinheads

IMG_3276.jpg
#360 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

IMG_3276.jpg 140 KB

Oh yeah!!
1012982_891653767264_4745839171160631339_n.jpg

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

hoping to hear that the music tracks can be changed and how to do so.

It's pretty easy to change the music if you're so inclined; they're just wav files that are looped. Though I think you'd be doing a pretty grave disservice to yourself by changing them -- they're pretty darn good!

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from TheKorn:

It's pretty easy to change the music if you're so inclined; they're just wav files that are looped. Though I think you'd be doing a pretty grave disservice to yourself by changing them -- they're pretty darn good!

Also a bunch of work went into the audio from our very skilled musician/audio engineer!

#363 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Also a bunch of work went into the audio from our very skilled musician/audio engineer!

I second that. I love the music. "Someone" did a really great job. I just don't understand why DP hates me and won't send me my kit. I have been standing on my front porch for a week now. Lol

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Where did you get those shuttles on the top of your game? Been looking for some nice ones to try a mod idea out that I have.

#365 5 years ago

I was able to successfully install 2.0 last night. During my brief time playing 1.0 the game was kicking 2 balls into the shooter lane. 2.0 did not have this problem. Anyone else experience this or have thoughts on the issue?

I also noticed significant lag on 1.0 between when switches were hit and when the game would register the hit.

Speech quality on 1.0 is also very poor with lots of static. I hope this can eventually be addressed.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Where did you get those shuttles on the top of your game? Been looking for some nice ones to try a mod idea out that I have.

amazon.com link »

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I was able to successfully install 2.0 last night. During my brief time playing 1.0 the game was kicking 2 balls into the shooter lane. 2.0 did not have this problem. Anyone else experience this or have thoughts on the issue?
I also noticed significant lag on 1.0 between when switches were hit and when the game would register the hit.
Speech quality on 1.0 is also very poor with lots of static. I hope this can eventually be addressed.

i dont notice a lag at BOP 1.0

yes the pinmame Sound is very poor DP told me the pinmame guys may be could fix it ?!?

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Maybe 50% of your DP order got put on his porch! and they got swapped? Weird. Glad you are whole again.

I'm sorta thinking that too. It would suck that he got my computer and I got his jock strap!

Follow up (they lost it):

Capture.JPG

#369 5 years ago

Got my tracking number, package is due tomorrow!

#370 5 years ago

I don't think anyone wants to change the music to something custom. people want to make the music like it was in the 2013 video (they used a certain multiball track as the main music instead)

#371 5 years ago
Quoted from Postmortem:

I don't think anyone wants to change the music to something custom. people want to make the music like it was in the 2013 video (they used a certain multiball track as the main music instead)

+1 there.

Quoted from kapsreiter:

i dont notice a lag at BOP 1.0
yes the pinmame Sound is very poor DP told me the pinmame guys may be could fix it ?!?

They should be able to. The sound on my mame cab for BOP sounds perfectly fine. It uses pinmame to run. It is quite but by turning the sound up in the ROM it works just fine. Pinmame does have issues with maxed out volume in the ROM though so be sure not to turn it up all the way.

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from Postmortem:

Totally agree. The current music is so dreary. I really liked the old music and would gladly swap to the old version if we can.

I also hope 1.0 can be fixed. The music quality is horrible and everything seemed laggy. In the current condition I have no desire to play 1.0, and originally I would have had a harder decision buying the kit if it sacrificed 1.0.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

+1 there.

They should be able to. The sound on my mame cab for BOP sounds perfectly fine. It uses pinmame to run. It is quite but by turning the sound up in the ROM it works just fine. Pinmame does have issues with maxed out volume in the ROM though so be sure not to turn it up all the way.

in the ROM it is set only to 3-5 !!

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The sound on my mame cab for BOP sounds perfectly fine. It uses pinmame to run. It is quite but by turning the sound up in the ROM it works just fine.

Don't know anything about your cab, but I respectfully and *strongly* disagree! I haven't seen a version of pinmame that doesn't seriously choke on CVSD playback. (Try starting funhouse to hear the worst example I can think of, or try to credit up CFTBL. Sounds like you're beating a woman underwater with a banjo. Ahhhh-blub-blub-blub... frank you!) The music sounds OK (pretty close) but even that isn't quite up to scratch and gets worse when doing an A/B test vs the original. Just hitting esc in the WPC menus in pinmame , the "dink dink dink" sound is played at the wrong tempo (too slow!) -- and there's nothing even going on then!

Don't get me wrong, it's good enough that a month after having BOP2, if I need to scratch the BOP1 itch I'll flip it over and play a couple of games. But it's not anywhere close to the same quality as the original.

Switch inputs do lag in 1.0 a bit; I'd guess roughly 50 to 100ms behind. The larger problem (for me) is the lock pulses are now too long; it invariably drops both balls when locking instead of only one. Messes up multiball start like crazy! (And makes multiplayer games kind of not work.)

P.S. Has it really been five years since a new release of pinmame???

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from TheKorn:

Don't know anything about your cab, but I respectfully and *strongly* disagree! I haven't seen a version of pinmame that doesn't seriously choke on CVSD playback. (Try starting Funhouse to hear the worst example I can think of, or try to credit up CFTBL. Sounds like you're beating a woman underwater with a banjo. Ahhhh-blub-blub-blub... frank you!) The music sounds OK (pretty close) but even that isn't quite up to scratch and gets worse when doing an A/B test vs the original. Just hitting esc in the WPC menus in pinmame , the "dink dink dink" sound is played at the wrong tempo (too slow!) -- and there's nothing even going on then!
Don't get me wrong, it's good enough that a month after having BOP2, if I need to scratch the BOP1 itch I'll flip it over and play a couple of games. But it's not anywhere close to the same quality as the original.
Switch inputs do lag in 1.0 a bit; I'd guess roughly 50 to 100ms behind. The larger problem (for me) is the lock pulses are now too long; it invariably drops both balls when locking instead of only one. Messes up multiball start like crazy! (And makes multiplayer games kind of not work.)

Korn, could the lag be why I'm seeing 2 balls kicked into the shooter lane on 1.0? Is the lag something that can be fixed?

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from TheKorn:

Pinmame went to open source a couple of years ago and others have been developing new versions. The lastest one is vpinmame 2.6 from last month (December 2014).

I'm sure Koen would address issues you have with the 1.0 version. I assume there is an email addy for support that comes with your kit.

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Korn, could the lag be why I'm seeing 2 balls kicked into the shooter lane on 1.0? Is the lag something that can be fixed?

There should not be lag.

Thekorn - If you haven't updated pinmame in 5 years then you need a major update before casting your opinion on how things perform now. I have no sound issues at all with BOP. Only one that sounds bad is LOTR.

#379 5 years ago

Well, my kit was delivered. Sadly it was delivered to the place I was living a year ago when I placed the order. I DID update my address with Barry and he replied and said it was updated. Good news is, that the person at my old address sent it back to Pinball Life. Pinball life called me and it is on it's way back to Pinball Life and then to me. So maybe I will get it next week.

Fingers crossed.

#380 5 years ago

Here is a video I just took to prove I'm not BS when I saying the sound on a mame cab is just fine. This was taken with a $50 video camera too so, trust me, it sounds better in person. Sorry for the shaking but I wanted to play a bit (one handed) to get some other sounds present.

Sound quality can be blamed on several things but vpmame should not be one as this should show that VPmame can handle the sound just fine.

My speakers are polk 5.25 in the head, polk 10 sub in the cab and a polk amp. If anything it should amplify problems and sound worse on my cab than the real game.

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

There should not be lag.
Thekorn - If you haven't updated pinmame in 5 years then you need a major update before casting your opinion on how things perform now. I have no sound issues at all with BOP. Only one that sounds bad is LOTR.

The fact is that there is lag. My question is why and what can be done to fix it.

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

The fact is that there is lag. My question is why and what can be done to fix it.

Not arguing that. Just saying VPmame shouldn't be pointed as the blame for it and the sound. If it is part of that then it should be able to be fixed.

And yes, if there is a significant lag that could easily be why you are getting two balls for BOP 1 as it will think a ball hasn't successful gone out and try again.

#383 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Pinmame went to open source a couple of years ago and others have been developing new versions. The lastest one is vpinmame 2.6 from last month (December 2014).
I'm sure Koen would address issues you have with the 1.0 version. I assume there is an email addy for support that comes with your kit.

Where do you get it from? Because on the official pinmame site, all that's available is 2.3, with no mention of anything else! ( http://pinmame.retrogames.com/downloads.html )

Quoted from 85vett:

That's kind of why I added the PS on the end. I did check the official site and that's the only one that's up there, and no hint as to where a newer one can be found. (Can't fault me for not at least trying to be current!)

#384 5 years ago

You need to go to vpforums.org or VPuniverse.com as those site are staying up to date with new things. If you want to play SAM tables go to VPuniverse as vpforums doesn't house the mame file for SAM nor tables.

#385 5 years ago

Couldn't find 2.6, but downloaded 2.5. Sounds unchanged from the the 2.3 version. Seriously, it takes just a second -- drop credits in and "thank you" sounds awful -- sounds like it's being said through cellophane. Sounds in general play too slowly (tempo). Music overall is off pitch (slightly low) and slightly slower tempo than a real machine.

(Your cab video, while making some allowances for cell phone microphone and what not, also has the same problems.)

It's good *enough* to not be worth the hassle to switch back & forth. But taken in totality pinmame's rendition is definitely a medium step down in the quality department when compared to the real mccoy. Not large enough to be worth the hassle of switching boards for a few games, but not minor enough to be in the let's-pretend-this-doesn't-really-exist category, either.

#386 5 years ago

same things happens on the platform versions. BoP sound is bad on phones and ps3/ps4 in TPA.

#387 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I'm just not getting that on mine, so I hate to speculate. My WAG is that it could be your switch is slower to rebound than mine, so then pinmame thinks the ball didn't eject correctly.

#388 5 years ago

If what ya'll are hearing on my cab is considered bad and what the 2.0 kit makes it sound like then I'm perfectly happy. Can someone post a video of how bad the sound is cause if this is the debate/argument then I'd rather DP work on new modes than fixing sound issues that 90% of people would never notice.

The way it's being vocalized makes it sound like its really crappy. And my Mame cab sounds ever bit as good as my new sterns so I would consider it a non-issue. Wish I had my PF so I could just put this game together and hear for myself.

#389 5 years ago

okay. I did a little more investigating. The sound does lag, but the scoring and lighting effects do not. I'm not sure what to make with the ball trough issue. It did seem that one of the trough switches wasn't registering consistently in the diagnostics. It's just strange that this never happened with the old hardware, nor with 2.0.

#390 5 years ago

Hey Guys,
We have seen a couple of people that install the kit and new switch errors show up. Not sure exactly why. It could be a difference of how the P-ROC registers switch hits as opposed to the original hardware or something coming loose during the install. All in all, it is just a simple adjustment and things get right back to normal.
--Scott

#391 5 years ago

i play Bop2.o since december

yes the system detecting switches on a different way, they must be adjusted perfect
special the lock

you can test your lock switches here

a good example also is the entry switch at the faceplate
i had a problem in 2.0 to get the jackpot, this switch was the problem
i had never a problem with the head at the original hardware

i think at the 1.091beta some switch detection was changed

i have adjusted an replaced some switch and it is running well since end of december

but the poor sound at BOP 1.0 should be realy fixed, if it is possible.

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

If what ya'll are hearing on my cab is considered bad and what the 2.0 kit makes it sound like then I'm perfectly happy. Can someone post a video of how bad the sound is cause if this is the debate/argument then I'd rather DP work on new modes than fixing sound issues that 90% of people would never notice. The way it's being vocalized makes it sound like its really crappy. And my Mame cab sounds ever bit as good as my new sterns so I would consider it a non-issue.

https://vimeo.com/118154838

(Vimeo says it'll be done processing in 35 minutes or so.)

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm *not* advocating that DP needs to do anything; this is clearly a pinmame issue (sounds identical when testing vpinmame on a PC). BOP1 is included for convenience and isn't DP's product, so not their problem in my mind. At the same time, I'm not willing to call a spade a heart, either; BOP1 functioning is good *enough*, which doesn't quite make it *good*, just... enough.

In the video you can also hear the lag. I have my switches mounted to the cabinet floor, so you can hear me "thumping" the switches moving around in the test menu, and see the lag between the switch contact and when pinmame does something. I don't know the cause nor the solution to that, but it doesn't seem to make much real world difference when playing. (By the same token, it might be the root cause of always dropping two balls out of the lock in bop1.)

#393 5 years ago

Hey Guys,
We have seen a couple of people that install the kit and new switch errors show up. Not sure exactly why. It could be a difference of how the P-ROC registers switch hits as opposed to the original hardware or something coming loose during the install. All in all, it is just a simple adjustment and things get right back to normal.
--Scott

So, can you trust diagnostics to test the switches so that they will work during gameplay as well?

#394 5 years ago

you are right Koen

BOP 1.0 is not DP

but th complete package is called

BOP 1.0 & BOP 2.0

and 1.0 should send the same quality at the original

i hope they can fix it or can try that a pinmame developer may be can advance the sound quality

#395 5 years ago

mine does not drop 2 balls in 1.0 from the lock.

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

So, can you trust diagnostics to test the switches so that they will work during gameplay as well?

Yes you can.

--Scott

#397 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

you are right Koen
BOP 1.0 is not DP
but th complete package is called
BOP 1.0 & BOP 2.0
and 1.0 should send the same quality at the original
i hope they can fix it or can try that a pinmame developer may be can advance the sound quality

Have to agree here. There were no caveats given as to the performance of 1.0 when we bought in. I still love 1.0, especially since 2.0 has not really sustained the ambiance of the original. I'm hoping the finished 2.0 game will be awesome, but the vibe is so different that 1.0 really still needs to work as originally advertised.

#398 5 years ago

Despite the shallow ruleset, I LOVE 1.0 as a total package. That 1.0 was to be included was the biggest factor in my jumping in on this project. If the new 1.0 does not improve significantly, I could see myself selling off the 2.0 a year or so from now and use that money towards a Pinbot or something.

#399 5 years ago

thekorn - Thanks for taking that video. That does sound really bad

alveolus - +1 there. I love BOP 1.0 and got this kit to expand upon the game I grew up playing. If 1.0 doesn't work good then I'll probably do the same.

#400 5 years ago

If future 2.0 projects are also going to depend on PinMAME for 1.0 functionality, it would behoove developers to push for a more palatable version of the emulation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 2661 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 54.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside