Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mswhat
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
download_(resized).jpg
TBL_(resized).png
TBL_(resized).png
image_(resized).png

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#200 2 years ago

We are lucky in south Texas to have Pinballz in Austin, and a few others, to get to play just about any pin you can imagine, including some EMs.

They opened another location south of Austin in Kyle which is fantastic too.

Denver and Breckenridge are excellent pin in the wild locations too

#201 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

I said it is easier to find them in the wild now, than 10 years ago. I agree, at least around here, there are more places to pay then there were 5 and 10 years ago. But I don't think that is necessarily the case in most parts of the country.

I will still argue that it is harder to find games in the wild than it was in the 90s and before.

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And a third in Cedar Park sometime this year.

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I deal with facts. The facts don't point to anything related to what Shit-Mask or Jplop did. There is no stockholm syndrome. There are no captors. The only pathetic thing is those who wish to deal with negativity with no FACTS to back up their claims.

What I don't get is why any pinhead would want a pinball machine to suck, a pinball machine company to fail or another pinhead that he or she has no personal beef with to lose their deposit. If someone doesn't like the price, they're free to not buy it. A NIB pin is a rich man's toy. That same pin from a boutique company is even more a rich man's toy. These arguments always happen and I don't get it.

Hope TBL turns out awesome and you enjoy your pin, dude!

#204 2 years ago

This is what you said:

Quoted from rosh:

Playing the in wild -- a dying breed, given how hard it is to find games in the wild, although maybe easier then it was 10 years ago.

Playing in the wild is hardly a dying breed, especially when there has been so much recent growth. I see and know plenty of people who get out there and play on location but have very few to no pinball at home and many of them are younger than me. Location pinball will never return to what it was in the 90's though, that much we can agree on.

#205 2 years ago

Why are the people who aren't buying TBL so concerned that it won't be made?

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Playing in the wild is hardly a dying breed, especially when there has been so much recent growth.

It's a dying breed in France for sure. Far more places getting rid of pins than wanting to get one. I actually should update some locations on the pin map nearby and delete them as pins are gone. The ones that remain are often barely functional.

A local Coin op mentioned that a bubble gum distributor (which costs 50x less than a pin) makes more money than his pins. No / Zero / Nada chance an operator would buy a NIB pin for more than 6000 euros - the max price they were ready to pay was more like 4000 euros (excluding sales tax)... even stern pros are now above that threshold.

The pinball renaissance you are seeing is not a general phenomenon.
Hopefully the pinball agony I am seeing is not general either.

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

It's a dying breed in France for sure. Far more places getting rid of pins than wanting to get one. I actually should update some locations on the pin map nearby and delete them as pins are gone. The ones that remain are often barely functional.
A local Coin op mentioned that a bubble gum distributor (which costs 50x less than a pin) makes more money than his pins. No / Zero / Nada chance an operator would buy a NIB pin for more than 6000 euros - the max price they were ready to pay was more like 4000 euros (excluding sales tax)... even stern pros are now above that threshold.

Immigrants don't have money to play games and non-immigrants are all afraid to go out. Pinball is done in all of Europe except in the homes of the rich.

#208 2 years ago

where's the NSNL? I want to see spme great things.

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not everyone will fit perfectly in these buckets, some sort of sit between. And obviously there will be plenty here on pinside who will totally disagree with this. But in reality the pricing of NIB games, for many, is not something they get too worked up over.

Man, you nailed spot on the different type of collectors. The only group you really did not address are the restorer type that buy old beat to crap games or games off rout in nasty shape and restore them selves. They tend to have whatever they can get their hands on.

I think I kind of sit between a couple of the buckets, I'm actively trying to have a diversified collection. I'd like to add an EM if I found the right one.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We are lucky in south Texas to have Pinballz in Austin, and a few others, to get to play just about any pin you can imagine, including some EMs.
Denver and Breckenridge are excellent pin in the wild locations too

Go check out Portland, Oregon. Tons of machines in the wild all over the place and all in great shape. It is the land of milk of honey as far as rout pinball is concerned.

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. There is increasingly more pinball found on location to play, especially over the past few years.

While true in Chicago and "some" other metros, there are MANY areas where pinball in the wild is still terrible. Atlanta is one of those places.

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The only group you really did not address are the restorer type that buy old beat to crap games or games off rout in nasty shape and restore them selves.

This is probably subset of some of the fourth, fifth and sixth groups (90 B/W and the early Stern/Bally and the EM guys).

I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would put themselves between buckets and there are also various forms of migration. No doubt we have seen EM guys be wiling to move into the 80s bally/stern games and some NIB guys have certainly added a B/W game or two. Probably common for a B/W guy to slowly gain appreciation for the early games and diversify and pick up a newer Stern along the way that they like the theme or game play.

I will say I love having an EM and have had a couple, but working on them is a totally different thing than solid state. If you have good 'logic' skills, then you can learn to work on them, if not, you definitely want to get one that is already fully restored.

Quoted from RazerX:

Playing in the wild is hardly a dying breed, especially when there has been so much recent growth.

Not sure the growth is universal, across the country or globe. Big metropolitan areas seem to have the resurgence, not sure that has spread all over. And you are certainly correct, I am not as focused as I once was in finding machines on location since I started collecting (which was when the arcade near me shut down in 99, and that I later learned was a beta test site for Williams -- which explained why the place had a killer lineup). Now I need to go no further than my basement or go to your basement or lionman's basement or PBL or . . .

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

It's pretty much dead in the UK and has been forever. I think it was about 12 years ago that I last went into a bar or pub or cafe not knowing a machine was there and finding one. Hence why I literally hadn't played once in more than 15 years, until last year.

Having said that, there are more venues cropping up in the UK, but that is absolutely not due to commercial viability. It's down to distributors putting games out on location in cafes or bars, and hoping to get sales as a result, and to collectors putting their games in cafes to get some money back. Other thing is that the most upwardly mobile chain of bars to appear in the last few years (Brewdog), their owners are pinball enthusiasts.

Pinball is only getting less and viable as a general commercial proposition in the UK and Europe generally. But particularly in the UK as we pay insane prices for NIB games, and have very high population density (venues are small) and typically very high rents.

I'm thinking about offering a machine or two in future to local cafes to fund my acquisition of them ... but the trouble is finding anywhere that can justify the space, as there's no way that losing a table for the machine (even at 50:50 revenue split) isn't going to result in lost revenue. Of course, there's the argument that the machine might attract more people in, or get them to come back, but most 'nice' places (where you wouldn't not want the machine) are very busy anyway.

Also, do you (or the premises) really want to take the risk with extortionate NIB prices that some yobs or kids beat the crap out of the machine or someone spills drinks or pukes all over it?

There's just no way. If it's to ever break out as a mainstream entertainment in public places again outside the US, then manufacturers are going to have to start passing on some of their cost savings to buyers, as they expand production. This seems unlikely though unless we get a big player (maybe video game publisher or someone from the Japanese games / amusements sector) entering the market and forcing change.

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

That's unfortunate and I guess I'm not surprised. With the exchange rate plus import taxes, I don't see how it could be viable to operate new Stern games there which would leave you with more older games and older games typically require more maintenance. Operating new games in the US is expensive enough and the operator has to rely on a games residual value to even make it work here. The days of games fully paying for themselves are long gone. Hopefully things turn around for you over there. Maybe once Heighway get's their legs under them and they start pumping out product in quantities, there will be a more cost effective alternative for Europe than Stern.

Quoted from rosh:

Not sure the growth is universal, across the country or globe. Big metropolitan areas seem to have the resurgence, not sure that has spread all over. And you are certainly correct, I am not as focused as I once was in finding machines on location since I started collecting (which was when the arcade near me shut down in 99, and that I later learned was a beta test site for Williams -- which explained why the place had a killer lineup). Now I need to go no further than my basement or go to your basement or lionman's basement or PBL or . . .

Yeah, it's obvious by the responses that it's not universal and Chicago's no Portland, but we have seen a nice bump here. Stern's success can't be exclusively attributed to the home collector either though. And you're right, it's easy to get spoiled with so many good basement collections around.

Now back on topic, waiting for DP to deliver, so we can get out there and play some TBL on location.

#215 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Now back on topic, waiting for DP to deliver, so we can get out there and play some TBL on location.

aren't there TBL conventions? If so, betting you could charge $5 a game at one of those (okay maybe two games for $5), that would at least make a little bit back on the "investment".

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

aren't there TBL conventions? If so, betting you could charge $5 a game at one of those (okay maybe two games for $5), that would at least make a little bit back on the "investment".

https://lebowskifest.com/fests/

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Why are the people who aren't buying TBL so concerned that it won't be made?

I can't afford one, but hope it comes out so I can play it on location...just like every other new pin.

#218 2 years ago

My local bowling alley just had a Lebowski fest the other day. Thought these items were pretty neat. Sadly the only pinball machine at the alley is a beat to death NASCAR which only somewhat works.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 55.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside