(Topic ID: 155192)

Booz Barometer coil question

By Oldgoat

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171013_165457 (resized).jpg
    photo_5_(resized).JPG
    photo_4_(resized).JPG
    photo_3_(resized).JPG
    photo_2_(resized).JPG
    photo_1_(2)_(resized).JPG
    photo_1_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

I'm really not sure where to post this one, so I apologize if it should be somewhere else.

I bought a non-working Booz barometer. As soon as I opened it up, the problem was evident. There are two small coils wired together that pull down a 'tang' to ring a bell. One is a nice pretty copper color, the other is black and the wire going from one to the other was charred to the point of disintegration. This is a 6 volt system (originally running from a battery). If someone knows a source to get a replacement bell assembly, that would be great since the bell assembly is put together with bent tabs and rivets making extraction of the coil a challenge. If not, plan B is trying to replace the one coil. So, any idea how to identify the coil or a suitable replacement? There is no wrapper and it is very small (about 5/8" tall and 5/8" in diameter).

Advice?

#2 8 years ago

can you post a pic or two? that may help.

#3 8 years ago

Well, I got in touch with the original manufacturer and they gave me the name of someone who may carry replacement parts. We will see. I went ahead and installed a cheap Radio Shack buzzer in its place. It works fine, except for the fact that I need to adjust things to make it less sensitive. Right now, a glance contact of about a nano second causes the coil to fire and the game to stop

#4 8 years ago

Well to close this out, I spoke to the person the manufacturer recommended. He said that no replacement parts were available; however, it was simply a door bell and typically available at a local hardware store. Since hardware stores are a thing of the past, I found this one on-line: THOMAS & BETTS/CARLON DH922 2-1/2IN BELL. It looks to me like it will do the trick for under $10 (including shipping).

#5 8 years ago

Nice job finding a replacement. I've got a Booz Barometer as well, and it's a fun game!

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

Nice job finding a replacement. I've got a Booz Barometer as well, and it's a fun game!

I suck at it. I think I need to somehow adjust the sensitivity since a slight brush for a nanosecond drops the coin. It seems like the leafspring that provides resistance may not have enough spring in it. If I press down on it partway down it looks like I can get it to a point where it is a bit more forgiving. Right now, the buzzer doesn't really have time to register.

As an interesting sidenote, the guy was saying that a Booz Barometer appeared on Pawn Stars several years ago and as soon as that happened, everyone wanted one. He said they didn't make that many of them, so they got scarce. Why didn't they make a lot of them? I'm glad you asked. Their business was vending machines and, in particular, gumball machines. One of the brothers wanted to diversify into trade simulators and so he designed and marketed this product. The other brothers did not agree, were not happy with him and ended up buying him out. So, not only did I get a source for a part, I got some free education

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

As an interesting sidenote

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

#8 8 years ago

I'm trying to get my uncles booze game he had in a bar he owned in the 70s...awesome little game!

#9 8 years ago

Here's a couple of pics of mine booz-barometer. Needs a cleaning but works great

photo_1_(resized).JPGphoto_1_(resized).JPG

photo_1_(2)_(resized).JPGphoto_1_(2)_(resized).JPG

photo_2_(resized).JPGphoto_2_(resized).JPG

photo_3_(resized).JPGphoto_3_(resized).JPG

photo_4_(resized).JPGphoto_4_(resized).JPG

photo_5_(resized).JPGphoto_5_(resized).JPG

#10 8 years ago

I have one too. I think it's supposed to trip with the slightest brush, that 's what makes it so challenging. I put a 12V sealed lead acid battery in mine and it sparks when someone trips it. Low voltage so shouldn't be dangerous but makes for a nice surprise.

#11 8 years ago

Hi, I have this game as well, took it off the stand and mounted it to the wall. I like the idea of going to 12v, bet it does make for a lot fun watching someone play.

Dave

#12 8 years ago

I just put a 6v alkaline lantern battery in mine. Granted, the battery it is new, but it also sparks when brushed.
    Challenging? Hell, I can't even get 1/2" down the rod before the F%^&ng thing goes off!

#13 8 years ago

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

1 year later
    #14 6 years ago

Hi Guys:

Can someone please tell me which of the leads go to which terminal on a 6V lantern battery?

One lead is longer than the other but there are no indications of which terminals they go to.

Thanks so much.

Roger

20171013_165457 (resized).jpg20171013_165457 (resized).jpg

6 months later
    #15 6 years ago

Roger, I'm sure you found out by now, but it doesn't matter which lead goes on which terminal on the battery. Either will work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/booz-barometer-coil-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.