• Latest reply 7 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7376_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

My Boomerang game has played well up until now. Tonight I turned it on to play a game. It is set for free play. Does not seem to be a tilt condition. Game would reset and then immediately turn off without launching first ball. Apparently the ball just sitting in the bottom of the apron on the ball actuator would make the game go out. I put the ball in the shooter lane and tried again. The game then would stay on. I pressed some slingshots and some targets, scoring ok etc., but as soon as I touch a rollover button or a rollover lane wire the game turns off and now will blow the 50 volt fuse after an attempt or two.

The game was last played about a week ago and went to play it tonight and I have run into this trouble.

Additional : edit.. I noticed a bright arc at the "outhole" relay in the cabinet when I push the start button. I cleaned the switch points at the arc. No change. I slipped a piece of paper in between those points and then the ball would actually launch when I pushed the start switch however as soon as you go over roll over button or wires on the playfield the game goes out. I also noticed at least on of the targets up in the area of the upper circle with the pop bumper will cause the game to go out. Slingshots and lower abcd targets cause no trouble and will score. Game resets fine.

Any idea what might be causing the issue ?

#2 7 years ago

If it's blowing a fuse, there is a short. Any burnt looking coils?

#3 7 years ago

That's a weird one. Definitely sounds like a short somewhere, maybe pulling the voltage low enough to release the Lock/Hold relay.

Have you looked at the match unit? Make sure the coil isn't locked on and no wiring is shorting to metal anywhere. I had a somewhat similar issue on my Sea Ray where it would blow the fuse when you tried starting a game. Turned out to be a wire worn through by the edge of a score reel chassis. As soon as it sent power that way to reset the reels, BANG, down she went.

Give her a good look-over in the backbox and anywhere else you might have wire abrasion.

#4 7 years ago

I was thinking a short with the blown fuses. I'll start with looking at the coils and then look for any wires shorting somewhere.

I keep a spiral notebook of problems/repairs and fixes for my games. I see that on two occasions I had trouble with one rollover button sticking in the captive ball area on the right upper playfield. The last time the bonus stepper coil also locked on, but everything was ok after I cleaned that roll over button. I believe I resolved that and I did check the rollover button when I encountered the new problem last night. That rollover button seems free. Perhaps a coil has weakened and or vibration from game play has finished off a coil .... Perhaps the bonus stepper coil as it had locked on previously ?

I'll look over the game for a burnt coil or see if there is any obvious short from a wire etc.

#5 7 years ago

Looks this coil at the bonus stepper might be the culprit. No reading with ohm meter. Check the scorching under the playfield. I had guests play the game about a week ago. I'll guess the coil locked on again and it wasn't noticed... I'll order a new coil and see what happens after it is changed. Roll over button that was an issue at one time seems free.

Looks like this coil is a B26-1100 but would appreciate a confirmation if anybody knows for certain.

DSCN7376_(resized).JPGDSCN7376_(resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Looks this coil at the bonus stepper might be the culprit.

That's the symptom-- but what's the cause?

#7 7 years ago

Perhaps the rollover button got stuck again ? Guessing that, or a stuck switch somewhere else on the playfield ? I had guests playing my pins last weekend and maybe they didn't notice a problem and the machine stayed on after playing and cooked the coil and it wasn't noticed when all the machines were shut down. I just discovered the problem last night when I tried to play the game.

I'll check over all the switches on the playfield when I change the coil. Placed an order for a new coil this morning, guessing I'll have a new one within a week or so.

#8 7 years ago

Changed the coil. Game seems ok now. Checked playfield switches didn't find anything stuck or binding. Left game on for awhile after playing. Checked the coil by touch before turning off the game. No warmth or heat detected.

#9 7 years ago

The coil just cooked. If the new one isn't locked on, you should be good to go unless you have a very intermittent problem. Keep your eyes and ears open for a while as you start up and play this game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/boomerang-turns-off-blows-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.