Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Viggin900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SmartSelect_20211229-083814_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Thanksgiving-Turkey (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    2Q==.jpg
    FFD63505-7C3C-4677-9661-471365BE4496 (resized).jpeg
    0E2D3822-F3BF-47ED-87BC-B1D9AEBD7E48 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago
    0E2D3822-F3BF-47ED-87BC-B1D9AEBD7E48 (resized).jpeg0E2D3822-F3BF-47ED-87BC-B1D9AEBD7E48 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

That's too bad.
    Truly one of a kind.

#3 2 years ago

Great guy, very entertaining!

#4 2 years ago

Just got an alert. Sad day for football fans. I know he's been out of the limelight for many years, but when he was broadcasting he was my favorite.
    Such an entertaining person who will be missed. Thank you for all of the good years John Madden, RIP.

#5 2 years ago

He invented "BOOM," and we know he all loved beef!

RIP Madden!

#6 2 years ago

Really sorry to hear.

LTG : (

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He invented "BOOM," and we know he all loved beef!

And turkey legs.

#8 2 years ago

Crazy they just did a special on him last week.

#9 2 years ago

I remember when he coached the Oakland Raider when they won the Super Bowl. That team was vicious

#10 2 years ago

Lots of good memories of him and Pat Summerall calling games. Really, they were the voice of football in the '80s and '90s. Always enjoyed his goofy, fun-loving personality along with his analysis. Perfect counter to Summerall's no frills style. RIP, big man. Off to watch some youtubes of them.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from tron1969:

Crazy they just did a special on him last week.

I just said to my wife when that special aired that he probably didn't have long. He didn't look well. I'm glad he got to see what he meant to people before he died. Can't ask for much more than that. The guy was great at everything.

#12 2 years ago

I will always remember the burning feet in his commercial. Boom! Tough actin' Tinactin.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

And turkey legs.

Turducken

#14 2 years ago

He was a great announcer compared to the shits today.

#15 2 years ago

Best part of him as a football commentator was that he was actually interested in the game, no matter the score or who was playing. He really seemed to just like watching and talking about football.

#16 2 years ago

I was not aware he was still alive. Isn't there a Doc coming out for him?

#17 2 years ago

He lived just a couple of City's away from me and up until about 4 years ago had a weekly morning radio program on KCBS. He was a great man and loved watching his grandchildren's sports events.

#18 2 years ago

Local hero and genuine good guy for us in Bay Area.

FFD63505-7C3C-4677-9661-471365BE4496 (resized).jpegFFD63505-7C3C-4677-9661-471365BE4496 (resized).jpeg
    #19 2 years ago

RIP. One of the best!!

#20 2 years ago

He personified football. RIP John

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mank:

I remember when he coached the Oakland Raider when they won the Super Bowl. That team was vicious

Read Ken Stabler's book . He mentions that game. The opposing team had a 8pm bed check. The raiders were out drinking all night. Most came into the locker room drunk or hung over. Nothing meaner than a guy in that condition.

Someone asked Ken what John Madden did about this ? Ken said he came in later than anyone else did.

Great times. Thank you John Madden.

LTG : )

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Local hero and genuine good guy for us in Bay Area.

He didn't like flying so they got him a bus.

LTG : )

#23 2 years ago

Simply the best drop the mic

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from shovelhed:

Simply the best drop the mic

I'm a Howard Cosell guy.

#26 2 years ago

Simply the best! An Icon! RIP!

#27 2 years ago

Definitely a bigger loss than Harry Reid.

#28 2 years ago

So bummed......I've always missed him calling games. Amazing guy.

#29 2 years ago

I'll never forget the sweat down the leg contest. Game was totally out of reach and he comes up with something to keep it interesting. Boom!

#30 2 years ago

This past weekend while showing his pic during a game, I was wondering why I
    never heard of his passing. I was thinking he had already past..
    Best winning %. On game day the ticket would be hanging from his belt while
    coaching the game..

#31 2 years ago

#32 2 years ago

When I moved to the Bay Area in 1999 John would call into KCBS every morning at 8:15 to talk all kinds of sports and life topics. Always insightful and personal.

Good kcbs tribute and reflection today. https://omny.fm/shows/kcbsam-on-demand/nfl-coach-and-sports-broadcaster-john-madden-dies

#33 2 years ago

RIP John Madden.

Such bummer of news. Just watched his football life biography on NFL network. Missed the Fox biopic on Christmas. Hopefully they'll reair it.

I miss him calling games. I'd love when he'd get on the telestrator. Alwqys found him entertaining and informative. Spent what seemed thousands of hours playing Madden on the Super Nintendo. Such a ground-breaking video game. I'll dig out my old snes on the weekend and fire up some Madden.

Anyone else learn what athletes foot was because of John? Boom!

2Q==.jpg2Q==.jpg
    #34 2 years ago

Can't forget about his "Turducken" or the "6 legged turkey"
    download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    Thanksgiving-Turkey (resized).jpgThanksgiving-Turkey (resized).jpg

#35 2 years ago

A man that was happy to be alive, and seemingly appreciative of everything around him.

#36 2 years ago

I always liked when he used the telistrator on things other than football like weird fans and stadium food.

#37 2 years ago

One of my lifelong dreams was to be invited over to John Madden's house and watch the Superbowl with him over a case of Miller Light.
    Tastes Fresh!

SmartSelect_20211229-083814_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20211229-083814_Chrome (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/boom-rip-john-madden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.