Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What do you think?”

• Great idea! 26 votes
      59%
    • As long as I don't have to read a book 5 votes
      11%
    • uh... no 9 votes
      20%
    • Sorry, I am waiting for a Nickelback themed pin before I commit to anything else 4 votes
      9%

(44 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    P1010602 (resized).JPG
    P1010648 (resized).JPG
    md10569031469 (resized).jpg
    P1010649 (resized).JPG
    20200205_115444 (resized).jpg
    20200205_115439 (resized).jpg
    20200205_115447 (resized).jpg
    20200205_115435 (resized).jpg
    Books (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 6.46.36 PM (resized).png
    16825748-80CA-4987-8365-94351ECE7E62 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NC_Pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I am not sure if this has ever been covered, but why aren't books seen as potential themes? If you go back about 100 years everything would be in the public domain. Even if it was just authors....

a few examples off the top of my head..

Pit and the Pendulum
    King Solomon Mines
    Treasure Island (although close to POTC)
    Sherlock Holmes
    The Odyssey
    Journey to the Center of the Earth (or just about anything by Verne)

They would require music, callouts and animations... but these have to be better than just another 70s rock band.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Library of Alexandria
    *edit* Go steampunk with that, future post-apocalyptic, collect the great pieces of lost literature.

A steampunk theme, in general, would be pretty awesome.

#8 4 years ago

My thought was that it could be something in the public domain. Something that people already know, but wouldn’t require a license.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

First thing I thought of. A good Poe work.
    LTG : )

I think “Pit and the Pendulum” could be epic.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Someone could probably make an entire theme just based on the works of Poe.

I thought that too... the Raven could make a pretty awesome toy

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Tough to think of a book that hasn't been made into a movie that would work. Poe stuff could be awesome though.
    Verne's World...
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/vernes-world

I didn't know that existed!

I think they could have had a movie - the game would just be based on the book. That would keep all of the IP in the public domain

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Judge Dredd is actually based off of the comic books/graphic novels (not the movie).
    Also many pinball themes that are movies originated as novels.
    Examples Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton), Congo (also Michael Crichton), The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (J. R. R. Tolkien) etc. etc.

The difference is that all of those required a license.... and most were based of the movie and not the books (although JP2 is really not based off of either).

#35 4 years ago

That is one cool looking cabinet

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Robin Hood
    Peter Pan
    Tarzan
    Legend of Sleepy Hallow
    Grimm's Fairy Tales

Sleepy Hollow... another great dark theme!

#47 4 years ago

I definitely agree that Harry Potter and Stephen King are no brainers.

My original thought was that someone could have a killer theme, but have no licensing costs ( or approvals!) That is why I was originally attracted to Poe, Verne, and etc. However, there are tons of possibilities public domain or otherwise. Just a thought in how to add some variety.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Kind of crappy pictures , but I was going for the classic stenciled cabinet . Cabinet was basically done but playfield was/is in very early stage of development . And again I do want to get back to this at some point but I am completely buried in pinball work .[quoted image][quoted image]

Amazing.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Has there been a single book pin ever made? Besides being inspired by a book?
    I love books myself, but can thousands of pins be sold on a potential Edgar Allen Poe theme?
    Hunger games was a miss in that department IMO. Both timing gone now and interest. Whereas I think hunger games might have sold big in the right time.
    Purpose driven pinball?
    Good to great pinball.

I think TOTAN was based on the books/stories ... at least the general theme.

as far as Poe.... I think if it was done correctly. I think it would resonate better than WOZ. I would imagine a Poe themed pin would be filled with gothic art and some cool gimmicks. It would be Twilight Zone-ish. There is quite a bit of material to work with.

#64 4 years ago

A great find! There were a few on there that I had forgotten about!

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Phantom of the Opera is based on the book by Gaston Leroux (rather than the Broadway musical by Lloyd Webber). Also, Gottlieb's Captain Kidd is based on Treasure Island.

Interesting, I was wondering about POTO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NC_Pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/books-as-a-theme?tu=NC_Pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.