Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180419_081050 (resized).jpg
20180419_073017 (resized).jpg
20180419_073306 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

hello, my NBA fastbreak keeps resetting the settings/bookeeping upon turning the machine off. when i turn the machine on, the first message is "bookeeping and factory settings have been reset". i replaced the batteries, but it still seems to be doing it. it is happening about 50% of the time....every once in a while it boots with no error message, but it seems to be happening more often. this started a week ago. Any advice would be helpful. this is a Bally/Williams machine from 1997 and there is no corrosion around the batteries.

thanks, Tony

#2 4 months ago

Probably a bad battery holder. The parts that hold the end of the battery can break off. Put a meter on the CPU and see if 4 1/2 volts is getting on the board.

LTG : )

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Probably a bad battery holder. The parts that hold the end of the battery can break off. Put a meter on the CPU and see if 4 1/2 volts is getting on the board.
LTG : )

Yep

#4 4 months ago

This should have the newer style battery holder. Can you post a picture of the MPU please?

#5 4 months ago

thanks for the info....here are some pics. would you guys suggest getting one of those NVRAM batteries, if it is indeed the holder ?

20180419_073306 (resized).jpg

20180419_073017 (resized).jpg

#6 4 months ago

Looking at the terminals I would say it is a case of bad connection.

#7 4 months ago

Yes, I would go with NVRAM. NVRAM actually removes the need for batteries on the board. Can you post a better picture angled at the bottom of the battery holder? Need to see if we can tell if the board has corrosion.

#8 4 months ago

Looks like at some point batteries were leaking. I would at the vary least take that battery holder off the board and make it a remote setup. If you go NVRAM you will have to do more difficult desoldering, socket and then NVRAM it.

#9 4 months ago

In case you don't want to attempt installing a socket for the NVRAM, take a 30 minute drive out to Chesterfield, MO to see chrishibler , who would be happy to do it for you.

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

In case you don't want to attempt installing a socket for the NVRAM, take a 30 minute drive out to Chesterfield, MO to see chrishibler , who would be happy to do it for you.

Maybe he'll sell you one for TMNT as well, which the old RAM is in a socket that you can swap out yourself.

#11 4 months ago

well then....it does appear to be corroded underneath on that 3rd battery slot. thanks a lot for the help guys. i was sold this machine as "completely shopped" lol....thanks a lot GAP....

20180419_081050 (resized).jpg

#12 4 months ago

I imagine Chris would take care of it on the spot if you make an appointment to go see him. Considered minor damage from other boards I had worked on.

#13 4 months ago

awesome...i will def be in contact with Chris. thanks for the info PinballManiac

#14 4 months ago

Get some viniger on that asap to neutralize the acid!

#15 4 months ago

Alkaline batteries leak alkaline electrolyte, a base, not acid.

#16 4 months ago

Good catch
Ok. How do you neutralize it?

#17 4 months ago

Vinegar is a mild acid. Suitable for neutralizing alkaline. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

#18 4 months ago

just pour some viniger in a cup and dip a soft toothbrush into it.scrub the corrision off slowly

#19 4 months ago

Just scrubbing with vinegar does not get it from under the solder mask. You can see the dark area around the one holder lead.

#20 4 months ago

Just scrubbing with vinegar does not get it from under the solder mask. You can see the dark area around the one holder lead.

thats right but for the time being it would be a good idea to do that til he has someone look into his board

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from TonLoc777:

well then....it does appear to be corroded underneath on that 3rd battery slot. thanks a lot for the help guys. i was sold this machine as "completely shopped" lol....thanks a lot GAP....

Be sure and contact them about it. That should have been caught before it went out. Let us know if they cover it under warranty. It does look fresh, but hard to tell from the photo.

#22 4 months ago

Are you saying viniger has no effect alkaline?

This is for my info.

#23 4 months ago
Quoted from McPin54:

This is for my info.

Removing damaged parts and sanding down the solder mask will get to the cancer that is the alkaline.

Read through the link that was supplied by YeOldPinPlayer and you'll see it is much more than work that one reaslizes.

#24 4 months ago

Worse thing one can do is apply any heat to the side of the board that has been hit without sanding the solder mask of the damaged area and then treating it. It will be safe after that time.

#26 4 months ago
Quoted from McPin54:

Get some viniger on that asap to neutralize the acid!

Quoted from McPin54:

This is for my info.

The point pinballmaniac40 is making is the terminology matters. 'Everyone' knows you clean up 'battery acid' with baking soda. But pinball batteries don't have acid in them so the common wisdom does not apply.
Alkaline damage is an accurate term and more likely to help someone find the right cleaning method.

#27 4 months ago

Actually, vinegar it's not acidic enough to do much of anything in this case.

Zep toilet bowl cleaner is a better option, which is more acidic and will actually react with and remove the alkalaine. It's also a viscous material, so it won't get all over the board.

#28 4 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I disagree. Acids and bases will always neutralize one another. That's the way the chemistry works. The stronger your acid the more abundant the hydronium ions. The stronger the base the more abundant the hydroxide ions.

Vinegar (pH about 3) has fewer available hydronium ions than Zep (pH about 1) so it will take more vinegar to neutralize the same amount of alkaline. It will still get the job done from a chemistry standpoint.

terryb goes into other advantages/disadvantages in his guide.

#29 4 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Which is why the solder masking has to come of the board in the area that was damaged.

#30 4 months ago

Don't worry tonloc777, you cannot go wrong taking the board to Chris to get it taken care of.

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I disagree. Acids and bases will always neutralize one another. That's the way the chemistry works. The stronger your acid the more abundant the hydronium ions. The stronger the base the more abundant the hydroxide ions.
Vinegar (pH about 3) has fewer available hydronium ions than Zep (pH about 1) so it will take more vinegar to neutralize the same amount of alkaline. It will still get the job done from a chemistry standpoint.

I need to record a video the next time I do a repair. The difference is night and day between using zep and using vinegar.

Two passes of zep does what vinegar simply can't, even with a dozen passes.

You can watch as the zep removes all of the alkaline and corrosion from the surface of the board and metal. With vinegar, it's barely touched.

After treatment, desoldering is a breeze, and I'm not getting all that nasty material all over my soldering/desoldering equipment. Then it's sanding time, another round of treatment, cleaning, and then ready for re-population.

#32 4 months ago

"Toilet Bowl Cleaner"

Right or Wrong, THAT'S GREAT!

#33 3 months ago

Come on by with the board. I'll get that taken care of.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#34 3 months ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Once you have used a stronger acid you will realize vinegar isn't doing much besides getting the corroded board wet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Electronics
Ewe22 Security PIC Chips
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
€ 40.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cranberry Township, PA
Boards
PinSound
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside