(Topic ID: 130839)

Booked flight for Chicago EXPO 2015! You coming?

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 624 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Ironphl
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3009.jpg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_20151014_214020914.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Old_Chicago.jpg
    cocknbull4pk.jpg
    IMAG8995.jpg
    image.jpeg
    Samoan-drag-queens-with-big-hair-2.jpg
    Westin_Wheeling_September_15_2015.png
    NPgoolie.jpg
    442155.jpg
    There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.
    #401 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

According to Last years schedule, the Friday tournament was Pingolf and it was all over by 12pm Friday. (Ran 730-12)

I'd be way more likely to play the Friday tourney if it ran noon to 4:30 instead of 7:30 to noon. Pinball Expo is vacation; I'm not waking up at dawn to play pinball at 7:30. Hell, I don't wake up that early on work days.

#402 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I'd be way more likely to play the Friday tourney if it ran noon to 4:30 instead of 7:30 to noon. Pinball Expo is vacation; I'm not waking up at dawn to play pinball at 7:30. Hell, I don't wake up that early on work days.

Amen bro... this is why I gave up EB as well. There's just not enough time in the weekend for everything... but starting at 7am isn't a good alternative IMHO

#403 8 years ago

Not sure if I'm coming yet Jared. Stay tuned

#404 8 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Is there anything to do Wed at all? I've always arrived on Fri, and this year we can only make Wed/Thur.

Weds is setup day. If you bring a machine, there is a free banquet Weds night.
    Beyond that,... just hanging out & chatting (and drinking).
    Technically, the free game hall is not open at all on Weds. (I'm trying to remember if they let us back into the game hall Weds night after the free banquet... or if they kept us out.) (unless you were truly working on your machine... and not just "test" playing them).
    (and again... you had to have a wristband from bringing a game)

#405 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I'd be way more likely to play the Friday tourney if it ran noon to 4:30 instead of 7:30 to noon

That doesn't work for Pinball Life either, presuming you want to go there.

Quoted from metallik:

but starting at 7am isn't a good alternative IMHO

It works well to fit in Pinball Life after 12. As it is, the comp starts at 8am anyway.

Most big tournaments start early in the morning. IFPA World Champs run from 9am to 11pm first two days. That's a lot of pinball playing ...

rd

#406 8 years ago

Would like some clarification on brawl timing also.

RD I honestly suggest doing expobrawl and having fun playing. If it runs past noon much then I will just bail out in order to go to pblife. still fun to play on golf from 8 to noon when nobody else in game hall.

Also since game hall is slated to open to public at 1 i am assuming golf finals done by then??!

#407 8 years ago

Trilogy Brewing co. Pinball will be at the pinball life explosion open house . Come check it out and have a beer on me , it will be serving oatmeal stout .
    Cheers
    Doug

#408 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

RD I honestly suggest doing expobrawl and having fun playing...... still fun to play on golf from 8 to noon when nobody else in game hall.

The Flip Out ExpoBrawl Open runs all weekend, so no stress there. Plenty of time to play in that.

The Friday AM event *was* Pingolf last year (730-12) ... But it doesn't appear to be pingolf this year. Don't see a lot of point in playing in the morning to try and qualify for the afternoon which we won't be attending.

http://www.pinballexpo.net/expobrawl.php

rd

#409 8 years ago

Now that the schedule is up, sans who the banquet guest speaker will be (looks like nobody confirmed as of 9/11/2015).

Funniest event appears to be the optional “Dinner with Jody Dankberg”, LLLLLLLMFAO! a real winner there. If you say something pro-JJP, DP, Spooky or Heighway; does he expel you from the table or try to tape your mouth shut?

Also, I love the Stern Tour rules box. What are they going to do, check and verify if you are a competitor employee or Contract employee? I say Aurich should go, Unless he met and spent time with Jody or Gary, there is no way they will remember what he looks like. Besides, just say "My contract ended five days ago".

See you all there. I can drive a few of you to JPop's place to take a tour there as well.

#410 8 years ago

looks like i'll be there, can't wait to meet some of you guys.

man, gotta go to that pinball life event.

#411 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What are they going to do, check and verify if you are a competitor employee or Contract employee?

They probably have an idea of who to look for.

And people like Aurich will respect their wishes and not go.

LTG : )

#412 8 years ago

Is it considered nerdy to wear a pinside ID lanyard? No one knows (or cares, lol) who the hell I am. I would hate to walk straight past some of the great folks on here and not say hi.

#413 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

pinball life is one of the main reasons for me coming half way around the world.

Yes, with a very large backpack. Free shipping!!! What a treat!

#414 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Is it considered nerdy to wear a pinside ID lanyard? No one knows (or cares, lol) who the hell I am. I would hate to walk straight past some of the great folks on here and not say hi.

They'll know who you are by your footwear (thongs no matter what the temperature is) pants (shorts no matter what the temperature is) and the cork hat.

For anyone who hasn't met an Aussie before, this is what they all look like.

rd

AussieAussie

#415 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, with a very large backpack. Free shipping!!! What a treat!

Keep in mind that no way will you get a backpack of pinball parts inside a plane in the USA. Checked baggage only ...

rd

#416 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Keep in mind that no way will you get a backpack of pinball parts inside a plane in the USA. Checked baggage only ...
    rd

No, officer, I said sword RAMP. It's a ramp, really.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#417 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

They'll know who you are by your footwear (thongs no matter what the temperature is) pants (shorts no matter what the temperature is) and the cork hat.
    For anyone who hasn't met an Aussie before, this is what they all look like.
    rd
    Aussie

Something tells me Rotordave has the indicators reversed for where his thongs and Denim Shorts are indicated.

#418 8 years ago

I'm pretty sad there isn't going to be a pingolf style tourney this year. I was looking forward to it this year because it was a blast last year. The expobrawl seems like it may overlap Terry's party,.....which isn't an option.

#419 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Something tells me Rotordave has the indicators reversed for where his thongs and Denim Shorts are indicated.

Thongs = footwear down under.

They would look funny if they were wearing skimpy underwear on their feet....

rd

#420 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

You just described me, except for the cork hat...

#421 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

They would look funny if they were wearing skimpy underwear on their feet

Not if they're female

#422 8 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

Unofficial late night Thursday tournament?

I like the way that you think. I would be down for that

#423 8 years ago

How many games on free play does Expo usually have?

#424 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kent_Allard:

How many games on free play does Expo usually have?

I don't believe Pinball News did a head count last year. 2013 there was 150+. I know there was more last year.

LTG : )

#425 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Ha I hope not! In about a week I will make a posting for making them again for everyone along with the pinside Lanyards I have.

#426 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And people like Aurich will respect their wishes and not go.

If you see someone on the tour wearing this it's totally not me.

Nothing to see hereNothing to see here

#427 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If you see someone on the tour wearing this it's totally not me.

Too funny.

I was wondering if I could sneak in wearing the old Data East disguize of trench coat and fake nose and glasses ?

For those wondering, there was a time DE people would go into their own building wearing these so other manufacturers didn't know who was going in and out on a regular basis and they'd know who had a game on the line.

LTG : )™

#428 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Ha I hope not! In about a week I will make a posting for making them again for everyone along with the pinside Lanyards I have.

still have & love mine from TPF , Thanks again Gexchange!! & I will for sure be wearing it

#429 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Is it considered nerdy to wear a pinside ID lanyard?

Guess I'm being nerdy, then. Still have mine from last year's Expo, and will be wearing it this year. Pinball nerds need to be able to recognize each other (if you're not an Aussie).

#430 8 years ago

I've booked my 1700m flight to Chicago for my 2nd Expo. I'll be doing some collaboration at the JJP design center and talking a little about Lexy's audio at Gerry's seminar. Hope to see a lot of old friends and make some new ones.

#431 8 years ago
    Quoted from daudioguy:

I've booked my 1700m flight to Chicago for my 2nd Expo. I'll be doing some collaboration at the JJP design center and talking a little about Lexy's audio at Gerry's seminar. Hope to see a lot of old friends and make some new ones.

Looking forward to meeting you.

#432 8 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

Can i get a ride this year?
    I'm booked and ready for PINBALL EXPO 2015!!!

Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Dittos for me & Pinfatale ? going to our first Expo this year

Shoot me a PM to reserve your spot. This year seats are filling up and I haven't had to make a thread about it!

#433 8 years ago

Guys, and now the worst update of the year. I'm going to Expo! Just booked my room today. Strange it would let me book the rate Thursday - Sunday, but not Friday - Sunday. Excited to finally attend Expo and meet some of you dudes.

How many days are you guys attending? Seems like things don't get going to Thursday night. I was thinking of flying out of Chicago Saturday night, but is that a great night at the Expo? Do people hang around the hotel 3-4 days straight, or do people go get some great Chicago grub, take some trips? Just trying to plan. Super excited.

#434 8 years ago

That girlfriend of yours coming along? (asking for my wife)

#435 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

That girlfriend of yours coming along? (asking for my wife)

Not sure yet. We're going to Miami the week after for a friends birthday so it might be too many days out of the office for her.

#436 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Not sure yet. We're going to Miami the week after for a friends birthday so it might be too many days out of the office for her.

Bring the Hellcat so I can do some doughnuts in it for you.

rd

#437 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Bring the Hellcat so I can do some doughnuts in it for you.
    rd

image.jpgimage.jpg

#438 8 years ago

few questions:

how long is the tour at stern?
    and pinball life event starts at 12:00?

is it worth it to take the big package including the buffet?

#439 8 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

few questions:
    how long is the tour at stern?
    and pinball life event starts at 12:00?
    is it worth it to take the big package including the buffet?

1. 45 minutes in the plant. Bus ride should be 20-30 min each way. Plus some wait time to get in.

2. Yes. Unless Pinball Life changes it up. Check website for updates or call.

3. Yes.

#440 8 years ago

My plan is to sneak into Stern using a cardboard box... but the only ones I have say "Spooky Pinball LLC"

#441 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

1. 45 minutes in the plant. Bus ride should be 20-30 min each way. Plus some wait time to get in.
    2. Yes. Unless Pinball Life changes it up. Check website for updates or call.
    3. Yes.

thanks man.

#442 8 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

My plan is to sneak into Stern using a cardboard box... but the only ones I have say "Spooky Pinball LLC"

I might have a pair of funny nose glasses I'm not using.

#443 8 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

banned! Possibly even shipped to another part of the country. There will also be an instruction sheet included: "Ben does not come with beer installed, please install before playing name that horrible 80's remake movie"

#444 8 years ago

Will probably skip Expo this year. Is Terry at Pinball Life having a function?

#445 8 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

Will probably skip Expo this year. Is Terry at Pinball Life having a function?

Yes...it's a pinball explosion!

442155.jpg442155.jpg

#446 8 years ago

Check and check!
    NPgoolie.jpgNPgoolie.jpg

#447 8 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

pretty sure your contract is over Ben

That means you can take the Stern tour.

#448 8 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Yes...it's a pinball explosion!

442155.jpg

How far is this from the hotel? Trying to avoid getting a car. Anyone driving? Really wanted to check this out and see AMH auctioned off.

Also, does anyone need a room? I may go from a king bed to two queens. Cut the cost in half for each of us. Just throwing it out there.

#449 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

How far is this from the hotel? Trying to avoid getting a car. Anyone driving? Really wanted to check this out and see AMH auctioned off.
    Also, does anyone need a room? I may go from a king bed to two queens. Cut the cost in half for each of us. Just throwing it out there.

its about 30-40 min away. You will need a Ride or a Car for sure. Several have offered rides on page 7 and 8 of this thread I think including me. Maybe we should Start a thread just for rides to PBL?

JJ

There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/booked-flight-for-chicago-expo-2015-you-coming/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.