(Topic ID: 130839)

Booked flight for Chicago EXPO 2015! You coming?

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 624 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Ironphl
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3009.jpg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_20151014_214020914.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Old_Chicago.jpg
    cocknbull4pk.jpg
    IMAG8995.jpg
    image.jpeg
    Samoan-drag-queens-with-big-hair-2.jpg
    Westin_Wheeling_September_15_2015.png
    NPgoolie.jpg
    442155.jpg
    There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.
    #251 8 years ago
    Quoted from Warbound:

I mean people bring the games for free so the overhead is just rent and technicians correct!

Rob Berk and Mike Pacek pay their technicians well.

#252 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

so there are many that are out far more (rotordave)

Yeah ... Airfares for 2 to Los Angeles are $3200 nzd bucks ($2100 usd) plus another $400 USD LA to Chicago. That's for starters ...

But what the hey, you can't take your money with you when you die ... As the ad says:

Airfares to Chicago ... $4000
    Expo Tickets ... $400
    BangerJay in his ManKini ... PRICELESS

rd

#253 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Yes. I couldn't get the rate from the website but I was able to do so on the phone.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

You were right! Called and got a room! Friday and Sat Night! Now I can book a flight!

JJ

#254 8 years ago

Should We Do another Meet an Greet? Suggestions where and when? I'm thinking Twin Peaks

#255 8 years ago

Taking the world's longest non stop flight to get there. Sydney-Dallas 15hrs.

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Hope to see you there DF!
    BB

BB - Yes, hope to see you too.

#257 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I can do simple math and sometimes it makes sense to lower the price in order to sell more tickets.
    hypothetically (not saying these are real numbers just giving an example):
    5000 x $25 for exhibit hall = 125k
    500 x $60 for seminars = 30k
    offer 1 day exhibit hall and seminar package for $40; offer exhibit hall only for $20
    even a 20% total increase in attendance with 20% conversion of exhibit hall only people into seminar and exhibit hall people = more profit and cheap experience. That is a win/win in my book and the space can definitely handle the increase form my POV as it has not been overly packed the past 4 years.
    4800 x $20 = 96k
    1800 x $50 = 90k

friday and saturday are too crowded as is, theres no parking available either on those nights.

#258 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Taking the world's longest non stop flight to get there. Sydney-Dallas 15hrs.

Man that's a long flight. That's the one where they strap the 44 gallon fuel drums on the bottom of the wings?

Longest one I've done was Sydney - Dubai which was 13.5 hours. The A380 made it bearable.

rd

#259 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I assum on Friday like last year? I think I already saw and advert somewhere? and it included a blurb about Rob Zombie or someone affiliated with Rob Zombie showing up...

Our open house Explosion will be on Friday, October 16th, from noon to 6pm. We will be announcing all the details very soon. We are looking forward to contributing to another great Expo for all who plan to come to the Chicagoland area for the extended weekend.
    Terry.

#260 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Our open house Explosion will be on Friday, October 16th, from noon to 6pm. We will be announcing all the details very soon. We are looking forward to contributing to another great Expo for all who plan to come to the Chicagoland area for the extended weekend.
    Terry.

Thanks for that Terry. A question ... How do 6 ignorant (and possibly drunk) kiwis get from the Westin to Huntley?

Any buses on?

rd

#261 8 years ago

Yep! Wife and I are flying out for the week. First expo, can't wait! Looking forward to seeing the next Stern, Rob Zombie playfield, and hopefully TH and TBL.

#262 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Thanks for that Terry. A question ... How do 6 ignorant (and possibly drunk) kiwis get from the Westin to Huntley?
    Any buses on?
    rd

Dave, what do you mean 'possibly' HAHA

#263 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Any buses on?
    rd

RD,
    They use to have a shuttle, but had to do away with that, Im sure that there are several of us that are willing to help. But somewhat depends on how long you plan on staying at Terry's. I love going there, but its pretty crowded, so I generally dont stay the full time. But I havea crew cad truck that sits 6 comfortably, so i can get most of your group one way or another. or even both if your not staying the full time. Im sure others will offer the same. Ill PM you my phone number so that you can contact me if needed

Troy

#264 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

A question ... How do 6 ignorant (and possibly drunk) kiwis get from the Westin to Huntley?

Stagger, stagger, crawl, crawl, jump...
    Rotorbooty.jpgRotorbooty.jpg

(You might want to add two more travelers to that list... )

#265 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lol. Well I have provided many suggestions of what can be done to improve expo (some of which have been implemented.)
    I am not whining about the price. Just empathizing with others that also find it be be expensive and making suggestions for how it can be improved while still getting the profit they need to have this bee their full time year round job.
    Right now if you want to attend for 1 day and go to exhibit hall/game hall and see any seminars then it will cost you $85 per person.
    Many just dont do the seminars and now watch the live stream to save $60.
    Similarly many do not attend at all.
    I can do simple math and sometimes it makes sense to lower the price in order to sell more tickets.
    hypothetically (not saying these are real numbers just giving an example):
    5000 x $25 for exhibit hall = 125k
    500 x $60 for seminars = 30k
    offer 1 day exhibit hall and seminar package for $40; offer exhibit hall only for $20
    even a 20% total increase in attendance with 20% conversion of exhibit hall only people into seminar and exhibit hall people = more profit and cheap experience. That is a win/win in my book and the space can definitely handle the increase form my POV as it has not been overly packed the past 4 years.
    4800 x $20 = 96k
    1800 x $50 = 90k
    If I was doing this as a business I know where the obvious area to upsell and get more people in the door is. Pack those seminars by dropping the price and that can also make up the backend on a small decrease of cost for those only coming to play.
    There is plenty of feedback out there that is not merely whining and lots of people that could be incentivized to attend with a slightly cheaper entry fee.
    *take the added profits and spend a little time on web development to get a better and more user friendly website (it has improved over last year but still could be helped with a little expertise).

This is simply a feeble attempt to walk back your previous comments. It's contrary to what you've posted previously and a statement from someone who could never admit they were wrong.

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”
    ― W.C. Fields

#266 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

This is simply a feeble attempt to walk back your previous comments.

I am not "walking back" anything. It is obvious to me that greed plays a large role in many decisions about the course expo has taken. If they really want to run it like a business, there are ways they can actually make more money, appear less greedy, and even decrease ticket price.

It honestly is crazy to me that someone can try to make running a show into a year long job, but if that is the plan of action then I would like to see it stepped up a notch.

IMHO expo is alive by default from the history of the past and is doing very little to grow or improve from year to year (aside form last year in which the game room changes were a big step in the right direction).

#267 8 years ago

I wish the show schedule was up, I need to know when the Heighway presentation is so I can figure out if I'm going to be able to make it to Terry's, which I really want to.

#268 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It honestly is crazy to me that someone can try to make running a show into a year long job, but if that is the plan of action then I would like to see it stepped up a notch..

Is this true? Or just kidding around? If true then it explains everything regarding why prices appear high to me. If the proceeds are funding a year long salary for one or two people to manage this small project, then yowsa wowsa! I used to manage $25 to 45 million projects for Toyota and GM. That required a years worth of work. I presume managing this event does not require a years worth of work yet top dogs want it to pay as if it did?

#269 8 years ago

I cAnNot wAit foR EXpO. iT gOiNg tO be fUn, EspeciaLly tHe OpEn hOUSe aT TerRy'S pLACe!

#270 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Downtown CHI is likely not feasible.. flights, space, access.. COST.. if you think the Wheeling Westin is high, wait til you price it inside the loop. As far as 'same ol carpet' .. you do realize that Expo has moved to a better hotel twice in the last decade? From Skanktown to the Wyndham to the Westin.

I am sure the prices would be higher. I just thought a nice change of pace, would be nice. Plus, you have to drive just to get a great meal. However, that's a real bad example, because I just eat at Portillo's the entire time..."Oh man is this the place to eat at"...
    Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 10.15.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-01 at 10.15.15 PM.png

I would be curious to know if people who have been more than once or twice, don't say been there done that? Pinsider's will enjoy it anywhere just to play the ball and hang out.

#271 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

I cAnNot wAit foR EXpO. iT gOiNg tO be fUn, EspeciaLly tHe OpEn hOUSe aT TerRy'S pLACe!

Is that you, Black Rose?

rd

#272 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Should We Do another Meet an Greet? Suggestions where and when? I'm thinking Twin Peaks

Of course, I'm usually thirsty the whole weekend.

#273 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

That looks like the shit! Cold beer ... good food ... nice ladies.

Looks like a winner.

http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/locations/wheeling-il

rd

Twin Peaks.pngTwin Peaks.png

#274 8 years ago

Sacs on the glass , and high fives I'll be there but please everyone bring more beer this year

#275 8 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I am sure the prices would be higher. I just thought a nice change of pace, would be nice. Plus, you have to drive just to get a great meal. However, that's a real bad example, because I just eat at Portillo's the entire time..."Oh man is this the place to eat at"...
    Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 10.15.15 PM.png
    I would be curious to know if people who have been more than once or twice, don't say been there done that? Pinsider's will enjoy it anywhere just to play the ball and hang out.

Personally I think this post and the other with the pic of the steak sandwich are in the top 5 for all of Pinside. Lol, I love me steak and cheese. Never had portillo's but looking at the pic stopped me in my tracks for 4-5 minutes lol. If it is as good as it looks then that alone is reason enough to drive 4 1/2 hours from Detroit to Chicago in order to try one. We just don't have those around here...the real mcoy I mean!

#276 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

You were right! Called and got a room! Friday and Sat Night! Now I can book a flight!
    JJ

Right on! I have found that just being cool with hotel reservation folks and thanking them for helping out, yields great results.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#277 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Looks like a winner.
    rd
    Twin Peaks.png

A truly awesome drinking hole. We closed the place down last year. Looking forward to seeing Marci, Linda & Bobby again!!!

#278 8 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

A truly awesome drinking hole. We closed the place down last year. Looking forward to seeing Marci, Linda & Bobby again!!!

are they looking forward to seeing you guys again though?

rd

#279 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

are they looking forward to seeing you guys again though?
    rd

I'm not so sure about that....although we did tip pretty well! Lol

#280 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nelly:

I'll be there with the Buffy pin! If anyone wants to play it, come on by and give it a try!

I'll be there with _Star Trek: The Mirror Universe. Reservations and the trailer trip are planned. My first Virgin year... can't see myself making the trip often with a machine... so may go stag next year.

#281 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I'll be there with Star Trek: The Mirror Universe. Reservations and the trailer trip are planned. My first Virgin year... can't see myself making the trip often with a machine... so may go stag next year.

Look forward to checking it out.

#282 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It honestly is crazy to me that someone can try to make running a show into a year long job, but if that is the plan of action then I would like to see it stepped up a notch.

I assure you it's not Rob or Mike's full time job. You should take the opportunity to talk to them and get a feel for what it actually takes to put on the show like Expo. You'd come away from the conversation with a different point of view. I know Mike very well and he puts a ton of hours in to it... and that's just his part. I feel bad that he doesn't even get to enjoy the show as he's constantly dealing with issues that come up and making sure everything is running smoothly the entire time.

#283 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

As opposed to cheapskate cry babies.

kim, I do believe that I owe you a drink this year for that comment alone!

and since we're talking alcohol, I'm going to throw this out there. I'll have a fifth of JD silver select (google it) with me. people who find me with my flask on hand can have a shot (until it's gone).

#284 8 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Lol same boat here. I reserved David Burkes for the first night I get in but after that it's Portillos for lunch and dinner as much as possible . And if not for expo I would still go yearly even just for that : )

#285 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Looks like a winner.
    rd
    Twin Peaks.png

views are good, food kinda sucks, tilted kilt has better food and just as good of views, but no close locations.

beer-and-wings.jpgbeer-and-wings.jpg

#286 8 years ago

their hand twisted giant pretzel and cheese was awesome when paired with an ice cold beer. of course, I'm rather easy to please

as for the view being better at the tilted kilt, the one near where I reside in michigan, the views appear hard and plastic-y. I believe that over 90% of the staff has "paid for" rather than natural "assets"

ps
    here's a good one. they opened up a twin peaks in madison heights, mi late last year and my friends took their 7-year-old daughter there last month because they thought it was a "tv-themed" restaurant, modeled after the david lynch 90's series LOL

#287 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

Cool, thanks and I accept. But only if its from your flask and not an over priced drink from those greedy bartenders.

#288 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Cool, thanks and I accept. But only if its from your flask and not an over priced drink from those greedy bartenders.

Soon as I unpack it's off to buy a bottle of Johnie Blue to keep a glass filled through the show!
    Expensive yes but better and cheaper than those bar tabs.

#289 8 years ago

I'll be bringing my Coffin flask and KGB.

DSCN1342.jpgDSCN1342.jpg

#290 8 years ago

Question: what's the Chicago weather usually like temp. wise for that week in October , got to figure what kind clothes to pack ....... Florida boy problems

#291 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'll be bringing my Coffin flask and KGB.

DSCN1342.jpg

sweet flask!

#292 8 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Question: what's the Chicago weather usually like temp. wise for that week in October , got to figure what kind clothes to pack ....... Florida boy problems

Like 80 during the day and just above freezing at night.

Seriously though the weather changes so much around here that even us locals have no clue what the weather will be like until a few days before.

#293 8 years ago

Last year it was on the rainy and chilly side.

#294 8 years ago

Question: what's the Chicago weather usually like temp. wise for that week in October

Like Nelly said above, shorts weather by day, jacket weather by night. And rainy! Almost always rainy.

#295 8 years ago

I just checked a weather almanac. Wheeling historical average for that weekend is a high of 62, low of 44.

#296 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

and since we're talking alcohol, I'm going to throw this out there. I'll have a fifth of JD silver select (google it) with me. people who find me with my flask on hand can have a shot (until it's gone).

Bought a bottle today on your recommendation.

#297 8 years ago

Come find me, Whysnow. We can take sips of whisky in-between hitting each another in the arm.

#298 8 years ago

Really tough to guess. You'll probably want to bring shorts for the inside. Outside? If I had to guess, I'd plan on 45-60.

#299 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

LOL!! a flask won't last long with our crew!! Our first stop on arrival is Binny's Beverage Depot - Buffalo Grove

...it is also our last stop before leaving...
    (can't get pic to load storming here!!)

Phoebe

Phoebe

#300 8 years ago

in case you are not following along, Scott has confirmed that WOOLY will make an appearance at expo.

There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/booked-flight-for-chicago-expo-2015-you-coming/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.