(Topic ID: 130839)

Booked flight for Chicago EXPO 2015! You coming?

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 624 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Ironphl
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3009.jpg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_20151014_214020914.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Old_Chicago.jpg
    cocknbull4pk.jpg
    IMAG8995.jpg
    image.jpeg
    Samoan-drag-queens-with-big-hair-2.jpg
    Westin_Wheeling_September_15_2015.png
    NPgoolie.jpg
    442155.jpg
    There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.
    #201 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Looks like the hotel room block is booked up =(
    Anyone have any luck calling the hotel?
    JJ

Yes. I couldn't get the rate from the website but I was able to do so on the phone.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#202 8 years ago
    #203 8 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

They need to change the terrible policy of locking people out of the vendor / game hall as punishment for not buying a $90 plate of crappy banquet food.

They changed half of it. As of 2013, the game hall is open during the banquet. Vendor hall remains closed. I think it's a good compromise. Vendors can attend the banquet without leaving their booths unattended, and players can play all night.

I hated the anti-fun policy so much that I started throwing an un-banquet party at my place 15 minutes down the road. Thankfully, I no longer need to. (Also I live further away now.)

#204 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The price could be less but that woudl mean less profit for some.

I'm curious if the business you work for seeks out suggestions on how to minimizes profit?

#205 8 years ago

I'm not sure how this works. I tried the link on the expo website for the 2015 scheduled of events and it brings up the 2014 scheduled. When is the stern tour? I will be arriving thursday night at 7pm which package do I need? I want to go to the seminars and vendors and free play. I have no idea what's going on.

#206 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I would really like the Vendor hall to remain open during the banquet. At a minimum, allow the vendors themselves to be in their booth. The booth acts as home base for a lot of us.

I agree on this, heck, last year I snuck back in and was updating code on my machines.

#207 8 years ago

I don't know about the prices. I still think $200 is a good deal for the entire 5 days with everything included- 2 meals, bus ride & tour, all seminars, free beer at Stern party, four days of playing great machines without quarters and getting to see my pinball buddies again. I can't imagine much profit. Whatever little profit is generated is well deserved for the time it takes to put this thing together. I have been looking forward to this all year, and the benefits far outweigh the cost for me. Cheers and see ya there!

#208 8 years ago

The 2015 schedule hasn't been uploaded yet. I just checked earlier today, as well. I'm hoping we see a list of speakers and some other info soon. I was done with the Stern tour, but now that they're in the new building (and possibly building GoT..), I think I might have to try and make it.

I'm really excited for this year. As much fun as I have at all the other shows, Expo is still my favorite.

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Been to portillos a load of times. Always bothered me that they called it "Italian beef". As someone who's 100% Italian and was born there, there is NOTHING Italian about it.

Don't be so sensitive and get used to it...
    There is nothing French in a French Kiss either

Back on topic - wish I could come but unless I win the lottery in the meantime, no way. But one of my pins should be there instead!

#210 8 years ago

Anybody know what day and time the stern tour is?

#211 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I tried the link on the expo website for the 2015 scheduled of events and it brings up the 2014 scheduled. When is the stern tour?

The website gets updated once they have everything worked out. Tournaments and seminars.

The Stern Tour is always Thursday morning.

LTG : )™

#212 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Anybody know what day and time the stern tour is?

Always Thursday 9am.

Don't miss it this year, get to see the new Stern building.

LTG : )

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

and $50 for the Stern tour?!!!

They rent buses to take you from the hotel and back.

#214 8 years ago

It's an improvement but still needs work.

Vendors pay for those booths. They should have access to them at all times.

I see it every year. You go out for dinner, take your time and it's still another two hours of waiting when you get back before you can go in.

All the vendors pile up at the door waiting to get in, like people at Wal-Mart on Black Friday.

#215 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Obviously lots of profit. Obviously. I'm looking forward to a full audit from you, since Mike's "lots of profit" can be calculated with ease.
    Begs the obvious question... if this show is so profitable, why are you letting Mike make all the moolah?? Surely someone named "Hilton" could find a way to put on a better, even more profitable exposition? Or maybe you'll figure out that eveything costs more at a 4 star hotel vs a Holiday Inn...

Sir the price is to much. So rather then bitch about it I bring a game. every year! and this year is no different. so people can play it and I get the free pass all weekend long. all the games you can play on free play. c'mon people go there and support the hobby and play.
    p.s. The hotel and power costs a fortune

#216 8 years ago

Kinda want to go but will miss again just due to the fact. I get tried of seeing the same old carpet at the same old place. I wish it were downtown Chicago. More place to eat. Depends on flight cost. We will also run our show special on line at that time as we all do. Also, the SWEP1 & RFM mirrors are back online and all orders should be filled. If you have placed an order in the last two weeks and haven't gotten them. Please PM me or e-mail [email protected]

#217 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure this is a large money making thing for MikePin.

Rob Burk, Mike helps run Expo.

Hopefully they make money. Or next year no show.

#218 8 years ago

ok so I won't make it in time for the tour so do I just buy 3 day passes and the seminar pass then and that will cover everything except stern tour and banquet?

#219 8 years ago
    Quoted from Warbound:

For $90 I, personally, would expect lobster or prime rib.

That would be nice. Hotels room, hotels food, and Expo guarantees unsold seats.

#220 8 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I agree on this, heck, last year I snuck back in and was updating code on my machines.

That is the perfect example of what I am talking about. Sometimes, as vendors, you need time to reset, clean up the booth, fix things, etc.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#221 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Rob Burk, Mike helps run Expo.

look forward to your seminar

#222 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

That is the perfect example of what I am talking about. Sometimes, as vendors, you need time to reset, clean up the booth, fix things, etc.

it was also where I kept my tequila

#223 8 years ago

At one of my favorite Expo's, myself, vendors and some industry notables, sat in the hotel lobby during the shut out. We were brother refugees from the vendor / game room having a bitch festival about the banquet. LOL.

Seriously, it was great getting to know everyone on a more personal level and we talked about everything under the sun. We may have even discussed Pinside a little...

#224 8 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

it was also where I kept my tequila

Will you:

a) Be bringing said tequila again this year
    b) Share?

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#225 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

there are many other examples of primarily voulenteer run shows which do it for no profit and for the fun.
    Just sayin... profit is not required for many shows.

Expo improved vastly last year and I hope they are still looking to continue that positive trajectory rather than just being surronded by defensive yesmen.

#226 8 years ago

Anybody heard any details about PinballLife party this year?

#227 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Anybody heard any details about PinballLife party this year?

I assum on Friday like last year? I think I already saw and advert somewhere? and it included a blurb about Rob Zombie or someone affiliated with Rob Zombie showing up...

#228 8 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I wish it were downtown Chicago.

That would be so much better for doing the show and getting to enjoy the city.

#229 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That would be so much better for doing the show and getting to enjoy the city.

Not that I disagree, but if people are bitching about the prices now, wait until you move it into downtown Chicago.

#230 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Not that I disagree, but if people are bitching about the prices now, wait until you move it into downtown Chicago.

Good call

Nice hotels DT are like $400 a night

#231 8 years ago

move it to the westin in lombard

#232 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I assum on Friday like last year? I think I already saw and advert somewhere? and it included a blurb about Rob Zombie or someone affiliated with Rob Zombie showing up...

Imagine the madhouse it would be if Rob Zombie was there. It would be awesome but not for a place the size of PBL.

Svengoolie is who I think you were referring to in regards to that special guest.

#233 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jetzxi:

Svengoolie is who I think you were referring to

yup. Who is that ?

#234 8 years ago

He's sort of like a poor man's Ned the Dead.

ned-the-dead.jpgned-the-dead.jpg

#235 8 years ago

You mean this guy? download.jpgdownload.jpg

Quoted from Jetzxi:Svengoolie is who I think you were referring to in regards to that special guest.

#236 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Will you:
    a) Be bringing said tequila again this year
    b) Share?

a) Anyone in the pinball mafia will tell you that typically when I am playing pinball there is a flask in my pocket or a bottle nearby (isn't that what pingulps are for?)
    b) depends on how much is left in the bottle

#237 8 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Kinda want to go but will miss again just due to the fact. I get tried of seeing the same old carpet at the same old place. I wish it were downtown Chicago

Downtown CHI is likely not feasible.. flights, space, access.. COST.. if you think the Wheeling Westin is high, wait til you price it inside the loop. As far as 'same ol carpet' .. you do realize that Expo has moved to a better hotel twice in the last decade? From Skanktown to the Wyndham to the Westin.

#238 8 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

a) Anyone in the pinball mafia will tell you that typically when I am playing pinball there is a flask in my pocket or a bottle nearby (isn't that what pingulps are for?)
    b) depends on how much is left in the bottle

Have you tried vaporizing Tequila? ...Pretty Wild! No calories, bypass digestion right to your blood stream!

vaportini.jpgvaportini.jpg

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Have you tried vaporizing Tequila?

No I haven't. I guess I should try it, not as convenient for taking a shot before plunging the ball, but I'm sure I could make it work. Not sure I would want to do it with the really good sipping tequilas, but typically that is not what I am drinking when playing.

#240 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That would be nice. Hotels room, hotels food, and Expo guarantees unsold seats.

Darn it Ltg!!! You make to much sense in your posts! I gotta say one thing though about you bud. I always enjoy reading your posts! It is like a waterfall of friendliness every time you post...so darn warm and nice. Thanks for that and I am probably right in saying everyone (ok 99.9999%) believe the same thing.

Ok enuff said. Don't ever change bud!

#241 8 years ago

Ready for this to happen, Ive been going for the last 12-14 years, cant remember what year i started going. Ill be helping Andrew out in the Freeplay hall setting it up with everyone that brings games. Remember, the help in that area is all volunteers and so is the leader, Andrew. No tipping needed, but will gladly take a beer and drink it with you (first 12-15 people, after that, you might not want help with your game)

As for people complainging on the price, i really dont think that it is as much the price of the show, which i do think is up there a little, but I think that most people have issues of the total cost for the experience. The best days are usually friday and saturday, sunday is usually just sad. So when you figure cost of the show, hotel, travel, missed work, etc... It can get pretty pricey for the full experience, but you just have to make sure that it is worth it to you. I know that im out over 1k easily and im within driving distance (about 200 miles) so there are many that are out far more (rotordave) but if you enjoy it, then you really need to not think about the cost, otherwise, this might not be a show for ya.

But whats the deal with the expo spreadsheet. only 2 of us have posted anything for sale. I have about 10 machines that i put on it, and will be adding a few more items. I have several backglasses that i would like to get rid of, but dont want to ship them, so hoping someone at expo is needing them.

Backglasses are
    Grand Lizard
    Embryon
    Flash Gordon
    Evil Kneivel
    Cleopatra

So if you have interest in those and going, let me know

Otherwise, please post on the expo classified spreadsheet available here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7VRMpANh_6SSqmFmqWaecTaQEByn6HsQZilOWvc0DQ/edit?pli=1#gid=1471806410

thanks
    troy

#242 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

So when you figure cost of the show, hotel, travel, missed work, etc... It can get pretty pricey for the full experience, but you just have to make sure that it is worth it to you.

Understood. My business is closed for 3+ days, and get mugs, and a #10 can of cheese.

It all adds up.

But the Expo experience is well worth it. Meet new friends, old friends, party till the cows come home. Time of your life !

#243 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

rather than just being surronded by defensive yesmen.

As opposed to cheapskate cry babies.

#244 8 years ago

Hotel booked last week !! I waited too long and all the double rooms are gone so I have 2 rooms for 2 nights for my wife and my 2 kids that are coming along. As a past Expo attender in 2008, 2001, 1999 and 1998, I am excited as HELL to be attending this year. This summer has been hot as heck and looking forward to cooler days and the fall colors. Driving in around noon Thursday and doing some sightseeing downtown (The Bean, Navy Pier), check-in and then hit the halls at 6PM and stay up as late as possible. On Friday, gonna try to squeeze in another downtown trip to do a river cruise or Willis Tower then bust back for our first trip to the PBL party and then back for more hall time Friday into Saturday am.

Question: What time does the one day pass for Friday expire ? Saturday at 6 am ?

#245 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

What time does the one day pass for Friday expire ? Saturday at 6 am ?

I believe that is correct.

#246 8 years ago

Embryon glass that i have available. 95% perfect, then the one area by player 4 window that is starting to seperate. Whoever meets me at expo will get the empty original head so that the glass can be protected while its in my possesion, really sucks that there is the one bad spot, not even any other small rubs anywhere.

200.00 takes it

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
    image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg
    image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#247 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

Hotel booked last week !! I waited too long and all the double rooms are gone so I have 2 rooms for 2 nights for my wife and my 2 kids that are coming along. As a past Expo attender in 2008, 2001, 1999 and 1998, I am excited as HELL to be attending this year. This summer has been hot as heck and looking forward to cooler days and the fall colors. Driving in around noon Thursday and doing some sightseeing downtown (The Bean, Navy Pier), check-in and then hit the halls at 6PM and stay up as late as possible. On Friday, gonna try to squeeze in another downtown trip to do a river cruise or Willis Tower then bust back for our first trip to the PBL party and then back for more hall time Friday into Saturday am.
    Question: What time does the one day pass for Friday expire ? Saturday at 6 am ?

Hope to see you there DF!

BB

#248 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Don't be so sensitive and get used to it...
    There is nothing French in a French Kiss either
    Back on topic - wish I could come but unless I win the lottery in the meantime, no way. But one of my pins should be there instead!

Did somebody say Portillo's?

Photo from this past Sunday

Portillos.jpgPortillos.jpg

#249 8 years ago

Portillos! Also one of the reasons I go!

#250 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

As opposed to cheapskate cry babies.

lol. Well I have provided many suggestions of what can be done to improve expo (some of which have been implemented.)

I am not whining about the price. Just empathizing with others that also find it be be expensive and making suggestions for how it can be improved while still getting the profit they need to have this bee their full time year round job.

Right now if you want to attend for 1 day and go to exhibit hall/game hall and see any seminars then it will cost you $85 per person.
    Many just dont do the seminars and now watch the live stream to save $60.
    Similarly many do not attend at all.

I can do simple math and sometimes it makes sense to lower the price in order to sell more tickets.
    hypothetically (not saying these are real numbers just giving an example):
    5000 x $25 for exhibit hall = 125k
    500 x $60 for seminars = 30k

offer 1 day exhibit hall and seminar package for $40; offer exhibit hall only for $20
    even a 20% total increase in attendance with 20% conversion of exhibit hall only people into seminar and exhibit hall people = more profit and cheap experience. That is a win/win in my book and the space can definitely handle the increase form my POV as it has not been overly packed the past 4 years.
    4800 x $20 = 96k
    1800 x $50 = 90k

If I was doing this as a business I know where the obvious area to upsell and get more people in the door is. Pack those seminars by dropping the price and that can also make up the backend on a small decrease of cost for those only coming to play.

There is plenty of feedback out there that is not merely whining and lots of people that could be incentivized to attend with a slightly cheaper entry fee.

*take the added profits and spend a little time on web development to get a better and more user friendly website (it has improved over last year but still could be helped with a little expertise).

There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/booked-flight-for-chicago-expo-2015-you-coming/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.