(Topic ID: 130839)

Booked flight for Chicago EXPO 2015! You coming?

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 624 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Ironphl
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3009.jpg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_20151014_214020914.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Old_Chicago.jpg
    cocknbull4pk.jpg
    IMAG8995.jpg
    image.jpeg
    Samoan-drag-queens-with-big-hair-2.jpg
    Westin_Wheeling_September_15_2015.png
    NPgoolie.jpg
    442155.jpg
    There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.
    #451 8 years ago

anyone wanting to trade into a Creech? I could arrange for transport to expo
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/24917

#452 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

It has something on the schedule "internet meet and greet" at 10pm Thursday.
    http://pinballexpo.com/seminar.pdf
    Sound good for everyone or are we going to set up something else?
    rd

That event is the official (in Expo viewpoint) meet-up for people on Pinside, r.g.p, and whatever else. I'll be in the designated room but can dispense info about off-premises meet-ups if I have it.
    .................Dave Marston

#453 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

That event is the official (in Expo viewpoint) meet-up for people on Pinside, r.g.p, and whatever else. I'll be in the designated room but can dispense info about off-premises meet-ups if I have it.
    .................Dave Marston

Many of the People I spoke to Won't be there in time for a Thursday meet up. So I was asked to do as I have done the last 3 years and organized the Pinside Meet and Greet. Last year we had it at the hotel, and the hotel got mad at us due to the pizza so I decided to take it back off the grounds again

JJ

#454 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Last year we had it at the hotel, and the hotel got mad at us due to the pizza so I decided to take it back of the grounds again

Ask 'em what the corkage charge is for 2 lg deepdish pep/sauage..

#455 8 years ago

Welp... Bus (ambulance) has checked in full this year. Then again It did last year and only one showed up for the ride, so if you want, you can wait out front at 11 am Friday and if someone does not show up you can have their seat.

#456 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

How far is this from the hotel? Trying to avoid getting a car. Anyone driving? Really wanted to check this out and see AMH auctioned off.
    Also, does anyone need a room? I may go from a king bed to two queens. Cut the cost in half for each of us. Just throwing it out there.

Use Uber; first ride is free.

#457 8 years ago

Speaking of Expo and Flight, I flew over the Westin Wheeling/North Shore earlier today.

Westin_Wheeling_September_15_2015.pngWestin_Wheeling_September_15_2015.png

#458 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

How far is this from the hotel? Trying to avoid getting a car. Anyone driving? Really wanted to check this out and see AMH auctioned off.
    Also, does anyone need a room? I may go from a king bed to two queens. Cut the cost in half for each of us. Just throwing it out there.

We've got room if you need a ride. PM me. Also, if you decide you go w/2 queens.... Let me know. I have a friend that couldn't get a room.

#459 8 years ago

I'm not sure if it's already come up in this thread, but with Jared's new job with Stern, will that be affecting whether he does any live broadcasts this year? Will there be any live video?

#460 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

with Jared's new job with Stern, will that be affecting whether he does any live broadcasts this year? Will there be any live video?

that' a great question. Since it's "public" knowledge, as in pinball news will be reporting the goings-on via text, images and sound recordings, I can't imagine they would care, but you never know. Pretty sure he was already at Stern when he was broadcasting pintastic.

#461 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'm not sure if it's already come up in this thread, but with Jared's new job with Stern, will that be affecting whether he does any live broadcasts this year? Will there be any live video?

Also, will he be allowed in the Day One Pinball manufacturing facility?

#462 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Also, will he be allowed in the Day One Pinball manufacturing facility?

If he signs an NDA Jared can visit my hotel room.

Hmm, that didn't come out sounding quite right ...

#463 8 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Also, if you decide you go w/2 queens.... Let me know

Samoan-drag-queens-with-big-hair-2.jpgSamoan-drag-queens-with-big-hair-2.jpg

#464 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If he signs an NDA Jared can visit my hotel room.
    Hmm, that didn't come out sounding quite right ...

what happens at expo, stays at expo

wait a minute, no it doesn't!

#465 8 years ago

Lol thanks for posting that. At least I am not the only disturbed one that read that wrong as well.

#466 8 years ago

currently having to clean Pepsi off my monitor, thanks for that.......

#467 8 years ago

when do we have to get our pre orders in to pick up at the pinball life party?

#468 8 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

when do we have to get our pre orders in to pick up at the pinball life party?

From Pinball Life's website:

We continue to optimize our checkout process so wait times to "shop" should not exceed 30 minutes. Pre-ordering will save you the most time and make the time you spend with us the most enjoyable! E-mail your parts list to [email protected] stating that your list is an Expo Pre-Order and we’ll have your order ready to go when you arrive. Spend your time playing pinball, eating, and drinking! PLEASE EMAIL YOUR PARTS LIST BY FRIDAY, 10/9/15. After Friday 10/9, we will be prepping for the open house so we won't be able to fill pre-orders, but you can bring your list with you and "Take a Number" to get your order filled.

All sales during the open house are cash-and-carry.

#469 8 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

All sales during the open house are cash-and-carry

This is key.. if you don't have cash you better hope the ATM at the Jewel next door isn't empty.

#470 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

This is key.. if you don't have cash you better hope the ATM at the Jewel next door isn't empty.

To bad its not in Colorado I would bring one of my Extra ATMS out =)

#471 8 years ago

Anyone comingto EXPO from Chapaign/Urbana area and able to pick up a game for me in the next week or 2 and transport it up for expo?

I will pay your gas money and some adult beverages.

#472 8 years ago

I will not be live-streaming the event this year, just to be very clear. I *will* do "some" live-streaming on my personal facebook account (which I will post about when its about to happen) from an "overview" type prospective. Facebook has now enabled me to do real-time ad-free live-streaming with auto-save from my phone, so I will be utilizing that. You can watch without an account.

I do not plan to stream (any) of the seminars, although I am 100% willing to assist Mr Berk in setting this up for the EXPO as a whole should he request. With the right gear such a thing could be done without anyone "manning the station" so to speak.

My reasoning for not live-streaming the event this year is because new roles and responsibilities have dictated my time to spent in other areas at the event, for example, you may get me as a tour guide at Stern.

Hoping you all understand, it's going to be a great time and I am excited to see everyone. -Jared

#473 8 years ago

No problem, Jared, totally understandable.

I WOULD STRONGLY URGE *ALL* manufacturers to make sure their seminars are broadcast. Don't rely on someone else, have a crew member or supporter handle it. Ask Jared for tips. The global audience will outnumber the people in that room many times over. To put all the effort and expense into coming to expo to do a seminar, and then not broadcast is bad business and a huge missed opportunity. Last year Jared demonstrated the power of the live feeds and turning those seminars into *GLOBAL EVENTS*.

#474 8 years ago

Have to say I'm in the not attending Expo 31 camp. Will be the first Expo I've missed in 10+ years. Everyone going have fun and post some pics.

#475 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

No problem, Jared, totally understandable.
    I WOULD STRONGLY URGE *ALL* manufacturers to make sure their seminars are broadcast. Don't rely on someone else, have a crew member or supporter handle it. Ask Jared for tips. The global audience will outnumber the people in that room many times over. To put all the effort and expense into coming to expo to do a seminar, and then not broadcast is bad business and a huge missed opportunity. Last year Jared demonstrated the power of the live feeds and turning those seminars into *GLOBAL EVENTS*.

I have mixed feelings about the live feed thing. We at Pintastic spent a lot of money to fly Jared in this year to live stream all the seminars. I think he told me the total viewers over the whole show was 152 people. I'm not sure it's worth the expense moving forward.

#476 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I have mixed feelings about the live feed thing. We at Pintastic spent a lot of money to fly Jared in this year to live stream all the seminars. I think he told me the total viewers over the whole show was 152 people. I'm not sure it's worth the expense moving forward.

You can't just look at the live stats. I never watch any of the things live myself. But I will go back and watch the archives. Like the PNW talk with JJP. That was good. I didn't watch live, checked it out the next day or so. They also then gave the same talk at other shows, and I'd already seen it, so didn't bother again.

Also, no offense to Pintastic, but you were a new show without a lot of draw from outside your local region. You can't really take stats from your first year and apply them to something like Expo, which has an international attendance. People are going to want to see what's in store for Dutch Pinball, Heighway, JJP etc.

#477 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You can't just look at the live stats. I never watch any of the things live myself. But I will go back and watch the archives. Like the PNW talk with JJP. That was good. I didn't watch live, checked it out the next day or so. They also then gave the same talk at other shows, and I'd already seen it, so didn't bother again.
    Also, no offense to Pintastic, but you were a new show without a lot of draw from outside your local region. You can't really take stats from your first year and apply them to something like Expo, which has an international attendance. People are going to want to see what's in store for Dutch Pinball, Heighway, JJP etc.

I think video taping and posting up the videos up on the Internet after the show is a better alternative for some shows. I agree expo needs to have the live stream or they will be just another show. Let's hope Expo promoters find someone to fill in for Jared from hear on out.

#478 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I think video taping and posting up the videos up on the Internet after the show is a better alternative for some shows

Yea I wouldn't care if it's live or not, but archived in case you missed something would be nice. Not everyone can see every single seminar with everything else going no.

#479 8 years ago

I would be willing to help. I can setup a camera or two and Walk away. Or loan out a couple of my cameras.

I have a
    Go Pro Hero 4
    Contour Roam 2
    and a Point and shoot that Shoot Video As well
    Also an Ipad air 2 Of that helps too?

My Plan was to try and setup a Live video Stern off of GOT if I can get Stern to let me.

JJ

#480 8 years ago

Anyone streaming - please make sure you get good AUDIO - it's so key and often a bit more important than seeing stuff since typically it's a few men on stage speaking and not a whole lot else

#481 8 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

To be fair, Expo breaks more "news" than any other show.

2014 we had:

Big Lebowski unveiled
    Hobbit unveiled
    Pinball Circus unveiled
    Alien announced

So there is a lot more interest, than just listening to speakers talk pinball. That's why I also think it fair to put the onus on the manufacturers, since they are the ones with news to break and machines to sell.

I was part of the live audience last year, and it was exciting, at times hundreds of us watching. Jared was asking our questions, it was interactive, and tons of news broke.

I think for new products is where the focus on live should be, anything else can be recorded and posted later.

#482 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

To be fair, Expo breaks more "news" than any other show.
    2014 we had:
    Big Lebowski unveiled
    Hobbit unveiled
    Pinball Circus unveiled
    Alien announced
    So there is a lot more interest, than just listening to speakers talk pinball. That's why I also think it fair to put the onus on the manufacturers, since they are the ones with news to break and machines to sell.
    I was part of the live audience last year, and it was exciting, at times hundreds of us watching. Jared was asking our questions, it was interactive, and tons of news broke.
    I think for new products is where the focus on live should be, anything else can be recorded and posted later.

I was one of those people watching! I agree with you.

#483 8 years ago

The live streaming last year at Expo was awesome! It was so great to watch from another country and feel like you were part of the action. It really was a highlight of the pinball year for me and I have been looking forward to Expo ever since. I really hope that someone can cover the seminars this year. I'm sure if someone stepped forward and contacted the Expo organisers to be the official broadcaster many of us who won't be able to make it would be willing to donate a little cash to cover any costs (like we did last year with Jared).

I seem to recall there were more than 300 people watching live at times (JJP seminar for example) last year.

#484 8 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

I'm sure if someone stepped forward and contacted the Expo organisers to be the official broadcaster

I'd recommend against this. Seems like it should be kept "guerrilla" with dealing with the organizers. That being said, I'd reach out to the various speakers directly.

#485 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'd recommend against this. Seems like it should be kept "guerrilla" with dealing with the organizers. That being said, I'd reach out to the various speakers directly.

Well, I don't mind how it gets done as long as it happens. I seem to recall that Jared offered to cover the last Texas Pinball Festival live but the organisers already had someone else lined up (Arcade Repair Tips, I believe?). In that case, the seminars took a week or so to be posted so it was less than ideal, it is certainly much more exciting watching a live stream with live chat and being part of the action. That's why I was thinking it should be official, so that there's no risk of it being shut down.

#486 8 years ago

Oh, one other thing, if someone does step forward, and a thread is made for "Expo 2015 live streams" on here, it would also be cool if Robin made one of those tabs at the top of the home page to link to it. You know, where they currently have the "Barenaked Ladies", "FAQ", "Do you love Pinside?", etc. buttons.

I seem to recall seeing a graph Robin made of number of page views and each year during Expo there is a huge spike, so it would be great to have that feature to celebrate the buzz which happens on Pinside each year at Expo time.

#487 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I would urge anyone wanting to do this reach out to Rob or Mike. They are good guys and are open to growing expo.

Andrew

#488 8 years ago

This has probably been asked before, but is the banquet worth the $30? I'm deciding whether or not to go to it and don't really know what it's like and whether or not it's worth it.

#489 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

but is the banquet worth the $30?

It is cheaper in the package than individually.

It is a great time. Speaker hasn't been announced yet, it is usually pretty good. Last one was Nolan Bushnel, before that Cameron, Year before Python.

I don't always have the chance to go. When I can I am always glad I did !

LTG : )

#490 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It is cheaper in the package than individually.
    It is a great time. Speaker hasn't been announced yet, it is usually pretty good. Last one was Nolan Bushnel, before that Cameron, Year before Python.
    I don't always have the chance to go. When I can I am always glad I did !
    LTG : )

I think you omitted Michael Stroll in there.

#491 8 years ago

I've had my hotel for a while, but just booked my flights finally. I should get into Wheeling around Midnight on Wed, and I'm flying back to LA at 3pm on Sat.

I'll be at Terry's party on Friday, I'll be on the Heighway panel Thursday night, at the afterparty (assuming such a beast exists!) and I hope to be partying with as many people as possible Friday night.

I wonder if I can find the Pinside badge JJ gave me last year, I think I kept it ...

Either way I'll be easy to spot, I'm wearing a different Alien themed shirt every day of Expo.

#492 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I've had my hotel for a while, but just booked my flights finally. I should get into Wheeling around Midnight on Wed, and I'm flying back to LA at 3pm on Sat.
    I'll be at Terry's party on Friday, I'll be on the Heighway panel Thursday night, at the afterparty (assuming such a beast exists!) and I hope to be partying with as many people as possible Friday night.
    I wonder if I can find the Pinside badge JJ gave me last year, I think I kept it ...
    Either way I'll be easy to spot, I'm wearing a different Alien themed shirt every day of Expo.

Right on I will look for you & be sure to say hello , will be arriving with Pinfatale Wednesday morning ....... counting the days

#493 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm flying back to LA at 3pm on Sat.

We may be on the same flight. American?

#494 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Don't worry if you didn't will be opening thread later this week for Printing ones if anyone needs =)

#495 8 years ago
    Quoted from highdef:

We may be on the same flight. American?

Haha yup! We should coordinate.

#496 8 years ago

Just booked my hotel! So excited. This is my first expo, and 3rd pinball convention. Spent the day at replay, was awesome, spend the entire weekend working the Cleveland show, it was a blast, and now I'm coming to expo. I couldn't be more excited!

#497 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I will not be live-streaming the event this year, just to be very clear. I *will* do "some" live-streaming on my personal facebook account (which I will post about when its about to happen) from an "overview" type prospective. Facebook has now enabled me to do real-time ad-free live-streaming with auto-save from my phone, so I will be utilizing that. You can watch without an account.
    I do not plan to stream (any) of the seminars, although I am 100% willing to assist Mr Berk in setting this up for the EXPO as a whole should he request. With the right gear such a thing could be done without anyone "manning the station" so to speak.
    My reasoning for not live-streaming the event this year is because new roles and responsibilities have dictated my time to spent in other areas at the event, for example, you may get me as a tour guide at Stern.
    Hoping you all understand, it's going to be a great time and I am excited to see everyone. -Jared

Would recommend you contact Martin at Pinball News to let him know you won't be doing it this year and see if he's interested. He's already been hosting audio from the seminars for years. Might be willing to take it on if it's not too difficult.

FWIW, the UStream you recorded of our seminar last year has been priceless for sharing with prospective developers.

#498 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Cool! I'll have to remember to bring this one with me to wear while I'm there! Say hi if you see me! image.jpegimage.jpeg

#499 8 years ago

Another flyover of the Westin Wheeling by me. Photo taken yesterday (September 23, 2015). White object about dead center is the Pinball Expo site.
    In the lower right you can see the site of the now defunct Illinois Pinball show that Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine used to host at the Executive Inn in front of the Palwaukee/Chicago Executive Airport.

Last week's flight was a flyover of the area as I was on a non-stop with my driver/pilot to San Diego. Yesterday I was on a quick flight to Chicago with my pilot where later my driver (me) eventually took me to Madison. I did stop at Pooley's and played Hilton's TWD. Unfortunately, we could not meet up as he was not feeling good so we had to cancel a meeting there.

IMAG8995.jpgIMAG8995.jpg

#500 8 years ago

Flights booked, hotel booked. Going into Chicago Tuesday night for work. Staying at the Ritz Tuesday / Wednesday night and then onto the Westin Thursday - Saturday. Super excited. There's a pinside get together on Thursday night, right?

There are 624 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/booked-flight-for-chicago-expo-2015-you-coming/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.