• Latest reply 1 year ago by epeabs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

None of the bookcase optos and the Thing flips opto are working in my TAF. When I put it into to switch test mode the led on the 7-switch opto board does not come on. I've reseated everything. Not sure where to start from here. Not sure which pin on the connector on the CPU board to test to see if power is getting to the board. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

For the book case, since that harness moves. I'd check continuity of wiring from connector to bottom optos and top optos. Easy to have a break inside the wire casing you can't see, or to the top board in the book case.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Ok I'll try that next. I do have power to the 7 switch opto board. Shouldn't the led on the board be lit? Or is that only when an opto is closed?

#4 6 years ago

I've checked continuity from the harness to the optos on the bookcase and all is good. Since this problem is effecting the thing flips opto also, I really think there might be a problem with the 7 opto switch assembly. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this board? Thank you.

#5 6 years ago

7 switch opto board

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

check that capacitor, on my TAF I got the same problem, Check it with a ESR meter, or just change it,
In my experience small capacitors tend to fail more often than big caps

Also, with your cel phone, using your camera, and in video mode, (there's no need to film) just watch if you see violet color on each opto led on the bookcase, (the ones not in the floor the bookcase , those are the receivers).

Check with the cel phone, and you could see them with a violet glow.

And then in switch test mode, grab a TV remote control, and point to each of the opto receivers and see if the switch test register each opto!!.

That worked for me!. to troubleshooting them!

good luck

#7 6 years ago

also, clean the emiters and the receivers with isop alcohol and a Q tip. You will need to disassemble in order to get them clean.

But , with the above , (TV control and cel phone camera) you will know which opto receivers or emitting diode is working or not, not mather if its dirty or not

#8 6 years ago

Ok,
So I replaced the cap and socketed and replaced the 339 chips on the 7 switch opto board with no luck. I tried the cell phone/tv remote test, but couldn't get that to work (although I'm clearly doing something wrong because I tried this test with my TZ too and got no results.) Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

#9 6 years ago

Does anyone know if I can put my 10 switch board from TZ into my TAF to rule out the board? If so, does anyone know which connections to use on the 10 switch? Thank you.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Piniac:

the led on the 7-switch opto board does not come on.

That is the 1st problem to solve.
Measure voltage on J3-1 (+14V) and J3-3 (GND) on the 7-opto-board. (Do not measure from GND in machine.)
This power is coming from powerdriver J116/117/118.

TZ 10-opto and TAF 7-opto boards are not compatible
TZ is 2col. x5row
TAF is 1col. x 7row

#11 6 years ago

Thanks for the help. I already found they weren't compatible. I went to a local pinball room that has a TAF and the owner let me swap my board for his. Board didn't work in his machine either. So the problem seems to be the board. I already changed out the cap and 2 lm339 chips since I've read those are common problems. Still no luck. Not sure where to go from here. Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm thinking I have to check the diodes/resistors. I have a digital meter but not sure what I'm doing since I've never had to go this deep before. The board itself looks ok from what I can tell.

2 weeks later
#12 6 years ago

I purchased a new 7 opto board. Everything is working great again. Thanks for the help.

5 years later
#13 1 year ago

I didn't want to start a new thread for this subject since it has been covered in multiple posts. I just rebuilt an Addams that I have reinstalled the playfield and have fired up. Everything is working with the exception of the error on startup of check bookcase optos, 53, 54, 55, 56, check Thing up and down. I also believe that the bumper lane opto #57 is not working. On the 7 Opto board, the LED is not lit, but I do have 14V at J3 pins 1 and 2. But I am only reading .520V at J2 pins 9 and 10. I confirmed with a camera that bookcase optos are not working. Does this sound like the board has failed or something else? This game came in with CPU acid damage that has been professionally repaired and the power/driver board was gone through at the same time. I can't confirm if Thing and the bookcase worked upon arrival, but I do know that there were a ton of standup switches, etc., that did not work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bookcase-and-thing-flips-opto-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.