Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by shovelhed
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Book themed pins anyone?”

• interesting congrats on 1/12 6 votes
      60%
    • scram nerd 0/12 4 votes
      40%

(10 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFD3AFF1-B782-4510-B53D-98790677E124 (resized).jpeg
    BB8F059B-21EB-497A-B20F-1CCEAAF9B6B6 (resized).jpeg
    5BD969FD-C08C-4DAB-A01B-7036F8834E71 (resized).png
    D0C3AF84-D9CC-4C08-B503-88376DE46874 (resized).jpeg
    6741E273-80E3-4B32-8109-598E3DF03529 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I know ,I know my posts blow I’m probably 0/11.So the only thing to do is try again .Who would like to see a “book only” themed pin and what book(s) would you pick .I would think this would be great for the artist of the project as when we’re reading a new story we get to imagine it happening in our own way,an empty canvas if you would..The hardware/software end of things would be greatly challenging bringing things to life from a printed story .The designer would have a lot more room to roam if you will .It just seems this would be a great direction for a new start up company to add yet another style of play to our arsenal or who knows maybe one of the biggs.My pick would be a series of books known as the “Rift War”saga by Raymond Feist.It’s a Epic fantasy story of Magicians and a army of a alien race that invades they’re planet through a portal .Endless material to fill a playfield .A poll is added as pinside loves polls.

6741E273-80E3-4B32-8109-598E3DF03529 (resized).jpeg6741E273-80E3-4B32-8109-598E3DF03529 (resized).jpegD0C3AF84-D9CC-4C08-B503-88376DE46874 (resized).jpegD0C3AF84-D9CC-4C08-B503-88376DE46874 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

I'm sure a Sherlock Holmes or some pulp stories like Tarzan would make for a decent theme.

#3 2 years ago

How many games were not started as a book? LOTR, Hobbit, SW, Shadow, and hundreds more if you include Comic book.

#4 2 years ago

i’m talking just a book, no movies or tv series .The rift war saga i mentioned is only a book series which is my point of nothing to go off of but the story itself.This book pictured is my favorite 2/3rds trilogy because the author hasn’t finished the last yet .There are talks of the king killer chronicals (shown) hitting the theatres and showtime prequel so that would disqualify it for this post if it happens .

5BD969FD-C08C-4DAB-A01B-7036F8834E71 (resized).png5BD969FD-C08C-4DAB-A01B-7036F8834E71 (resized).png
    #5 2 years ago

since i voted i’ll chalk this up to 0/12 .I shall return .

#6 2 years ago

Verne's World is an amazing book-themed pin. I'm sure there are plenty of others that could be great.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Verne's World is an amazing book-themed pin. I'm sure there are plenty of others that could be great.

Thanks matt .I’ve been thinking about this all day .You just brought me life

#8 2 years ago

My favorite book of all time.

BB8F059B-21EB-497A-B20F-1CCEAAF9B6B6 (resized).jpegBB8F059B-21EB-497A-B20F-1CCEAAF9B6B6 (resized).jpeg

#9 2 years ago

Speaking of Raymond Feist, does anyone remember the PC game Betrayal at Krondor? He wrote the story and dialog for the game at a time when most games were “written” by game designers who, while talented in their own right, weren’t exactly world class authors. That game was fantastic.

#10 2 years ago

Great minds think alike. I started a similiar thread last year.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/books-as-a-theme

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Speaking of Raymond Feist, does anyone remember the PC game Betrayal at Krondor? He wrote the story and dialog for the game at a time when most games were “written” by game designers who, while talented in their own right, weren’t exactly world class authors. That game was fantastic.

No kiddin .I’m about 1/2 way done with the rift war I got stalked with the mistress trilogy in the middle i’m back on it now .Such a vast story .

#12 2 years ago

stalled my bad

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Great minds think alike. I started a similiar thread last year.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/books-as-a-theme

i did not find this while looking or i would’ve just added to it .Have you read the name of the wind ?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

My favorite book of all time.
    [quoted image]

Ive havnt read that classic yet it’s on my list .

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Ive havnt read that classic yet it’s on my list .

It’s kind of hard read but worth it.

#16 2 years ago

I don't have time to read. Too busy play/fixing pinballs.

#17 2 years ago

I like the idea of 'World War'. I think it's a book, I heard about it once, about aliens attacking the Earth during World War II. The Germans and the Allies stop fighting and killing each other and join forces to attack the aliens instead. Would be an epic pin, methinks.

#18 2 years ago

The various stories and poems of Edgar Allen Poe would make for awesome themes for a pin!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

The various stories and poems of Edgar Allen Poe would make for awesome themes for a pin!

I think that was the consensus of the other thread. The works of EAP would make for a great theme. Personally, I think Spooky could do a great job with it.

#20 2 years ago

I bought my bsd because I like the book so much. I just forget that the pin is based on a movie.

#21 2 years ago

It's actually a tough criteria, with so many properties being adapted for movies or TV nowadays. I can think of a couple that could benefit from the Deadpool treatment (that is, base it on the source rather than the adaptation).

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Dark Tower. Maybe for this one they could develop an original storyline where you're a time traveler whose mission is to erase that godawful movie from existence.

How about Terry Pratchett's Discworld series? No shortage of source material there.

#22 2 years ago

I always like to think that Firepower could be Ender’s Game. But technically they made a movie out of it and the movie kinda sucked :/

AFD3AFF1-B782-4510-B53D-98790677E124 (resized).jpegAFD3AFF1-B782-4510-B53D-98790677E124 (resized).jpeg
    5 months later
    #23 2 years ago

I would like something like this

#24 2 years ago

It will be very hard to read the book on the LCD while playing. I guess you could use the action button to flip pages.

I don’t really like the thought of returning to page 1 every time I drain ball three. I guess the pinbook will be just one more book that I never finish.

#25 2 years ago

I’ve been thinking this as well. The problem (and I can attest to this personally because I’ve authored two novels) is that fewer and fewer people are reading nowadays. With the amount of time and money that has to go into mass producing a pinball machine the manufacturers need to pick themes that will have broad appeal and stories with which people are familiar. That’s why so many superhero and music themes are done by the manufacturers. That being said, I think Sherlock Holmes and Moby Dick would be great themes for a machine…particularly Sherlock. Also I think something by Stephen King could be a successful pin. But that’s also because so many of his novels have been successful movies.

#26 2 years ago

Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series would make a awesome pin. Have it mode based on the different novels like finding the Titanic ect ect.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/book-themed-pins-anyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.