image (resized).jpeg
dims (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_6299 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
I Said That (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 6 years ago

Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror
Anything by Douglas Adams(Hitchhiker's Guide and Dirk Gently at the top)
The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross (BOFH meets Cthulhu Mythos)
The Polity series by Neil Asher
Another vote for Stephen King. IMO, the best opening for a novel was from the Gunslinger, and the best ending was from It.
Clive Barker's stuff from the 80s and early 90s. (Scarlet Gospels was just meh for me; "The Great and Secret Show" is a masterpiece, IMO)
Neil Gaiman. <--- Everything from this man, but "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys" are books I keep rereading
My all time favorite fantasy book is a little riff on LotR, except with cats, "Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams. I reread this on a yearly basis.
God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe
William Gibson's cyberpunk books(Neuromancer, etc)
The Death Gate series by Weiss and Hickman
The Wheel of Time series by Jordan
Last but not least(since I could just post all of my favorites from goodreads all day):
The Dresden Files by Jim butcher

General Fiction
I'm currently reading "An Association of Small Bombs" by Karan Mahajan
The Martian by Andy Weir
Night Film by Pessl

Nonfiction
The Invisible Gorilla - Chabris, Christopher
Hot Zone - Preston
Shadow Divers - Kurson
Pretty much all of Richard Dawkins' books
Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin (and the sequel, the name of which escapes me right now)

I have a lot more to add, but that's from the top of my head.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Don't forget George Orwell either.

In my last bookclub, we debated between "1984" and "Brave New World" and ended up reading BNW(for most of us, it was a reread). I had argued that BNW was more prescient, although I think that Huxley went out of his way to create his dystopia from the premise. However, I have recently revised my opinion in light of world politics and think that Orwell might still be in the running after all.

Quoted from jibmums:

The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien, but you really need to read The Hobbit and LOTR first

Agreed

Quoted from jibmums:

Any Cthulhu mythos books by H.P. Lovecraft

I love Lovecraft. I have entire shelves dedicated to the Mythos(including a lot of the RPG, Call of Cthulhu). There are some excellent Mythos stories coming out now from contemporary authors.

I liked Lewis more in my religious phase, which I grew out of ages ago. After that, he seemed way too heavy handed in his theological agenda when I went back and read the stories. Which is why I think I always liked Tolkien better. He didn't try to bend his mythology to fit his religious beliefs. Although there are traces of some rethinking, such as his decision to make creation a function solely of Iluvatar(which is why there are multiple possible origins for orcs), that probably reflect his Catholicism.

Of course, if you were into the wild and crazy 70s and 80s pinball themes with lots of scantily clad sword and sorcery types, you might like digging up some of the old "Heavy Metal" magazines. I recently completed my collection of all of the regular 70s issues, and I'm working on the 80s. There are definitely some classic scifi and fantasy stories to be had there.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Oh man, you hit a nerve there. I wish I still had all my Heavy Metals but lost them all in Hurricane Gloria. All from 1979-1984 or so, and my collection of Epic Illustrated, Marvel's answer to Heavy Metal, gone in the flood as well. Been reading online scanned versions but it's not the same as devouring them in a dark room with the black light and lava lamps on. Still have my HM movie posters of Den and Taarna that are going up on the gameroom wall once it's set up.

Yeah, I had a moderate collection, then ran into a whole bunch at a thrift store that got me back into collecting. The sad bit was that I had a bigger collection before I was infected with a particularly nasty mind worm(which I alluded to in my last post), and I got rid of them. If only I hadn't gone whole hog into the religion hole, I would have had most of the 90s covered, too. Alas, that's what I get for running with the wrong crowd.
The new issues, with Grant Morrison as the editor, have been great, too.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I hear ya. Did you ever read 'Till We Have Faces'? I'd be curious what you thought of it, with your perspective. Also curious if you ever got into G. K. Chesterton but that's back towards the Catholic path, which isn't my thing.

No, I never read it.

I did read Chesterton(he's probably next to required reading for Catholics into apologetics), and while he could be witty, I never really liked him enough to read much of his work. Also, I read a few of his Father Brown mysteries, and just didn't find them interesting.

#123 6 years ago

Right now, all of the Heavy Metal back issues from their warehouse are on deep discount as they are getting rid of said warehouse.
http://shop.heavymetal.com/shm/index.php

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I read Sword of Shannara, and I really enjoyed it.

I liked it, but I think it was a definite riff off of LotR. I think he got a lot better later in the series, where the story really came into its own. I think that the "Heritage of Shannara" series was awesome.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/book-recommendations?tu=ThatOneDude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.